Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Live In Front Of A Studio Audience (ABC)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-19, 07:58 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Jimmy Kimmel will present a live 90-minute primetime event paying tribute to Norman Lear’s groundbreaking comedy series All in the Family and The Jeffersons on ABC.

An original episode from each iconic Lear comedy will be re-created; Jimmy Burrows is directing the live special. Live In Front Of A Studio Audience: Norman Lear’s ‘All In The Family’ and ‘The Jeffersons’ will air Wednesday, May 22, 8-9:30 PM ET.

Woody Harrelson will play Archie Bunker role; Marisa Tomei will play his wife Edith in the recreation of All In The Family. Jamie Foxx and Wanda Sykes take the roles of George and Louise Jefferson in the All in the Family spinoff, The Jeffersons.

ABC Entertainment President Karey Burke, meanwhile, declared the network “honored” to partner with “our brilliant friend Jimmy Kimmel and trailblazer Norman Lear” in the live TV project, agreeing with Lear that the two series are “as culturally relevant today as they’ve ever been.” She forecast it will be “the can’t-miss television event” of the year, if not the decade, while Sony Pictures Television Studios president Jeff Frost and co-presidents Chris Parnell and Jason Clodfelter called it an “exciting new format.”

All in the Family shaped political and social conversations in American homes in the post-civil rights era. From 1971 through 1979, the series about conservative working class Archie Bunker, his liberal son-in-law and daughter, and his wife Edith tackled such hot-button topics as women’s rights, racism, and homosexuality.

The success of All in the Family led to introduction of The Jeffersons, which ran from 1975 to 1985 – the first television series to feature an interracial couple. It would go on to be one of the longest running African American shows on TV, following George and Louise Jefferson as they moved to the East Side and showcased what it was like to be successful in a predominantly white world. The show is credited with shifting conversations about race and class, paving the way for other African American actors and TV series.

Live In Front Of A Studio Audience: Norman Lear’s ‘All In The Family’ and ‘The Jeffersons’ is being produced by Smoking Baby Productions, ACT III Productions, Gary Sanchez Productions and Sony Pictures Television.

Ellie Kemper will play Gloria Stivic, Will Ferrell will appear as Tom Willis and Justina Machado is set to play Florence Johnston, with more all-casting announcements to come.

Kimmel and Lear host; the project teams them with exec producers Brent Miller, Will Ferrell, Adam McKay and Justin Theroux.

“The fact that a group of Oscar winners eagerly agreed to play these iconic characters is testament to the greatness of these shows and their creator, Norman Lear,” Kimmel said, calling the project a “dream come true.”

People have said the two series were of the 70’s and “would not work today,” Lear said of his two TV-landscape-changing comedies.

“We disagree with them and are here to prove, with two great casts depicting of All In The Family and The Jeffersons, the timelessness of human nature,” Lear continued, adding, “I cannot wait to see what these glorious performers make in our time of these indelible characters.”

Last July, SPT announced a new deal with Lear and his Act III Productions, noting it had an “option to re-imagine titles from his extensive library including All In The Family, The Jeffersons, Good Times, Maude and Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman, to name a few.”
https://deadline.com/2019/04/jimmy-k...ws-1202598689/
Old 04-19-19, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
re: Live In Front Of A Studio Audience (ABC)

Sure, I’ll watch it.
Old 04-19-19, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

I will watch it, but I highly doubt a show like All In the Family would make it in today's world. I was a kid when the show aired, but I remember Archie saying words like ***, queer, spade, diego, among other things. There's no way you could away with saying those things now.
Old 04-19-19, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Yeah, kind of a cool idea but I do wonder if they’ll censor the language for modern times. I kind of get that they’d want to, but then it defeats the purpose of it being a recreation as like it or not the politically incorrect language used by Archie was a big part of the show as that was his character.

Audiences now days are probably too sensitive and won’t realize that the show was a satire and the way Archie acted was supposed to make him look dumb and closed minded.

Last edited by Mike86; 04-19-19 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-19-19, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,262 Likes on 840 Posts

I'll watch.

Spoiler:

Meathead!
Old 04-19-19, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah, kind of a cool idea but I do wonder if they’ll censor the language for modern times. I kind of get that they’d want to, but then it defeats the purpose of it being a recreation as like it or not the politically incorrect language used by Archie was a big part of the show as that was his character.

Audiences now days are probably too sensitive and won’t realize that the show was a satire and the way Archie acted was supposed to make him look dumb and closed minded.
I assume they're framing the project this way (like a performance of a classic play) so that they can use the script as written in the day.

Last edited by DWilson; 04-19-19 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-19-19, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Yeah, kind of a cool idea but I do wonder if they’ll censor the language for modern times.
They don't say which episode of All in the Family they will recreate. They likely picked one of the less problematic scripts, maybe an episode of Archie Bunker's Place.

At any rate, I'll definitely check it out when it airs.
Old 04-19-19, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe it'll be the episode of All in the Family that The Jeffersons spun off from and the pilot episode of The Jeffersons. It would kind of make sense as a way to tie the two episodes together. The only thing doing that is part of the chemistry of the two casts (paricularly Archie and George) would be lost without their history.
Old 04-19-19, 07:20 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Are they going to do a specific old script of each series, or will it be a kind of a hybrid or greatest hits?
Old 04-19-19, 07:21 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Better casting would have been to gender swap Archie and cast Rosanne. Now THAT would be bold tv.
Old 04-19-19, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Whatever happened to George's brother Henry?

Man, I loved both of those shows, they were among my favorites when growing up, I tuned in every week.
Old 04-19-19, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Are they going to do a specific old script of each series, or will it be a kind of a hybrid or greatest hits?
Sounds like its going to be specific episodes of each.
Old 04-19-19, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

So is Foxx supposed to do an impersonation of Sherman Hemsley? Because without him there is no The Jeffersons. But if he does it will probably come off like an In Living Color sketch.
Old 04-19-19, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

They should do the All in the Family episode with Sammy Davis Jr. They could just have Billy Crystal play him.
Old 04-19-19, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
So is Foxx supposed to do an impersonation of Sherman Hemsley? Because without him there is no The Jeffersons. But if he does it will probably come off like an In Living Color sketch.
I would imagine it will be handled as if doing a well-known play, -if you're doing "Streetcar Named Desire", you don't do Marlon Brando, but just by acting out the script you might hit similar notes.

Last edited by DWilson; 04-21-19 at 02:46 AM.
Old 04-20-19, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Harrelson feels like a weird choice for Archie to me. Archie was an older grandpa type character who was out of shape.
Old 04-20-19, 04:58 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Harrelson feels like a weird choice for Archie to me. Archie was an older grandpa type character who was out of shape.
Harrelson is 10 years older than O'Connor was when he first took the role.
Old 04-20-19, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Guess I didn’t realize that. O’Connor always looked old on the show though. Harrelson still looks relatively young.
Old 04-21-19, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Take a look at Harrelson in KINGPIN. He can pull it off, and KINGPIN was over 20 years ago.
Old 04-21-19, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Take a look at Harrelson in KINGPIN. He can pull it off, and KINGPIN was over 20 years ago.
I guess that’s true. He’s a good actor and stuff, I just wouldn’t have thought of him as Archie personally is all.
Old 05-20-19, 01:52 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

<iframe width="676" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QPY8fnQb5OM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-20-19, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Then please, please don't compare Marisa Tomei's age to Jean Stapleton's. Seriously, I don't want to know. Because I also saw Edith as an "old grandma", but I'm still smitten with Marisa Tomei.
Old 05-20-19, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the bump. I knew it was coming up soon but need to set my DVR.

Last edited by Mike86; 05-20-19 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-20-19, 03:24 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Yes, thanks for the bump, set the YouTubeTV DVR.
Old 05-21-19, 10:08 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Really promoting this on one of the lesser known streaming channels. Can't recall which channel but I was watching an older episode of "American Pickers" and every commercial, and there were plenty, had a spot promoting this.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.