TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lights Out with David Spade (Comedy Central) -- premieres 7/29/19

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-19, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts
Lights Out with David Spade (Comedy Central) -- premieres 7/29/19

He is coming back to Comedy Central with a new show

David Spade is returning to late-night TV, in a bid from Comedy Central that will shake up the way the network does business around midnight.David Spade, the comedian once famous for delivering the “Hollywood Minute” during the “Weekend Update” segment on “Saturday Night Live,” will devote considerably more time going forward to the Viacom-owned network, where he will later this year launch a new late-night series that will follow the network’s flagship “Daily Show.” At 11:30, Spade will go head to head with opening monologues from NBC’s Jimmy Fallon, CBS’ Stephen Colbert and ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel.

The series marks the first time in years the network hasn’t sought to follow “The Daily Show” with talent that initially came to light in that landmark program. In recent years, Comedy Central has stocked 11:30 with Stephen Colbert, Larry Wilmore and Jordan Klepper, all of whom first rose to greater renown interacting with either former “Daily” host Jon Stewart or current one Trevor Noah.

It’s also the first time that Comedy Central won’t deliberately set out to focus on political themes and national affairs in the time slot (to be sure, the social-media centered “@midnight” took up residence there for a while). The network found great success with the long-running “The Colbert Report,” which aired after Jon Stewart’s “Daily Show” between 2005 and 2014. Since that time, however, Comedy Central has had less luck.

Two other 11:30 p.m. programs, “The Nightly Show” and, more recently, “The Opposition,” did not prove sustainable despite positive notices for each.Spade is expected to focus on other areas of discussion, offering a “signature take on the pop culture news of the day,” according to the network. The program, which yet to be titled and will include a rotating group of celebrities and comedians. With this choice, Spade and Comedy Central will be moving against the current grain. Many of the newest offerings in late-night tend to center around national news and a news cycle driven by President Donald Trump.
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/dav...al-1203136036/

Old 04-18-19, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
re: Lights Out with David Spade (Comedy Central) -- premieres 7/29/19

Thanks for the alert, Jeff. I'm very much looking forward to this. I don't think I have seen any Spade's movies, because they invariably receive terrible reviews, but I have always found him hilarious when I saw him here or there (e.g. on Dennis Miller's classic old HBO show), and his shamefully brief-of-life "The Showbiz Show" was pure side-splitting enjoyment.
Old 04-18-19, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Interesting choice for Comedy Central. He's definitely not political in his humor. Spade has always been good in small doses.
Old 04-19-19, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Finally a late night show I may actually watch. Anthony Jeselnik is getting one on CC soon as well.
Old 04-20-19, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^Good to hear that about Jeselnik. He had a show a few years ago. I hadn't heard of or seen him prior to it, but I found him funny. In the meantime I have seen him on a couple of those roasts.
Old 04-20-19, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Thanks for the alert, Jeff. I'm very much looking forward to this. I don't think I have seen any Spade's movies, because they invariably receive terrible reviews, but I have always found him hilarious when I saw him here or there (e.g. on Dennis Miller's classic old HBO show), and his shamefully brief-of-life "The Showbiz Show" was pure side-splitting enjoyment.
I will set my dvr when this premieres
Old 05-09-19, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
^Good to hear that about Jeselnik. He had a show a few years ago. I hadn't heard of or seen him prior to it, but I found him funny. In the meantime I have seen him on a couple of those roasts.
From his recent podcast it sounds like the show will be filming in about a month for weekly airing starting the weekend after Labor Day. Six episodes where he will invite comics to a sit-down interview style show taped in front of an audience.

FYI in case you have access to Netflix he also recently released another live special Fire in the Maternity Ward.
Old 07-28-19, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It premieres tomorrow Mon July 29

Old 07-29-19, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Lights Out with David Spade (Comedy Central) -- premieres 7/29/19

They must not expect much, dumping its premiere in the depths of summer.
Old 08-02-19, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

I've been watching it, the show's OK. It seems kind of weird that they have the panel but half of the show is taken up by bits, so it feel like the show's over just when the panel gets going.
Old 08-02-19, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's pretty typical catty Spade humor, mocking mostly Hollywood types. If you liked his old show, this isn't that far removed.
Old 08-02-19, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have not watched a full episode but it seems like the guests are the stars of the show
Old 08-03-19, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I caught up tonight with this week's episodes (they go by pretty quickly). I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll definitely keep watching.
Old 08-03-19, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm a huge fan of Spade's humor (going back to his Hollywood Minute Segment on SNL in the 90's) and I understand that his sarcasm is not for everyone. I watched the show, but it feels like it has no direction as it's too loose without any structure. The problem with just letting comics spew for long segments like this is they start to force their humor, and that is when it gets dumb. Comedy has to be natural and you get a panel and they all feel they have to say something funny with every word that comes out of their mouth, and that is usually when it stops being funny. I hope Spade sort of finds some structure to the show because I like his 'no politics' policy in this day and age of Colbert, Kimmel, Meyers, Samantha Bee and The Daily Show. It's refreshing that someone out there understands there is still an audience that just wants to laugh yet not hear the names Trump and Pelosi.
Old 09-12-19, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

I've been enjoying this show enough that I'll watch it if it keeps going but won't get upset if it gets cancelled.

The fact that the first two episodes of this week had non-comedian celebrities (Chance the Rapper and Bhad Bhabie) doesn't seem to be a good sign for the show, feels like they are grasping at straws to get more viewers. The problem is, when the whole point of the show is to make jokes about things going on in pop culture, it doesn't make sense to have non-comedians. Chance seemed to feel out of place but wasn't too bad overall and somewhat entertaining, but Bhad Bhabie was an annoying guest that didn't seem to understand the point of the show.
Old 09-12-19, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had to look up who Bhad Bhabie was and wow what a symptom of societal decay she is. As far as her appearance on the show, mostly she stuck to stepping on the other guests' punchlines with her moronic affected gibberish. I don't blame her, she's not capable of understanding what she is. I blame those who enable her to be inflicted upon others.

Still love the show. It's a nice palette cleanser before bed. Short and sweet.
Old 09-12-19, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pete Holmes has been on the show twice

The episode with Kevin Nealon was probably the best one so far.

It was kind of a dick move what happened to Danny Trejo earlier in the season
Old 09-28-19, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

You forgot to mention what exactly that was.
Old 03-26-20, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 332 Likes on 175 Posts

The show is off regular TV due to the virus, but Spade is running mini episodes on YouTube. Everything is done via video chat.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMi...6Ca2KXc7ftlu_w
Old 03-26-20, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was still watching this nightly until it went off the air this week. It's a guilty pleasure, but I enjoy it. It's not nearly as sharp as his Showbiz Show of years ago, and the focus on marginal and fatuous online "celebrities" and social-media dreck is not at all my bag, but it's just stupid, easily digestible fun to wind up the evening.
Old 03-27-20, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

Originally Posted by whotony

You forgot to mention what exactly that was.
The following users liked this post:
whotony (04-04-20)
Old 03-27-20, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like it though the quality (big celebrities) of guests has dropped considerably the last 2 months and not a lot of big stars or people you recognize.
Old 03-27-20, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sportsfan64
The show is off regular TV due to the virus, but Spade is running mini episodes on YouTube. Everything is done via video chat.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMi...6Ca2KXc7ftlu_w
Thanks for this.
Old 03-27-20, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish the show would make more use of Bobby Miyamoto and that old guy with the crazy hair and cut-off jean shorts.
Old 04-03-20, 06:54 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

“Lights Out With David Spade,” which halted production last month due to the coronavirus pandemic, will not return to Comedy Central, Variety has learned. Instead, the ViacomCBS-owned brand is preparing to shop the late-night talker — which it produces through its Comedy Central Productions — to outside networks and platforms.

The move comes as Comedy Central has experienced both a massive influx in viewers and disruption to its programming pipeline amid the pandemic.

“Lights Out” premiered last year on Comedy Central in the 11:30 p.m. time slot following “The Daily Show With Trevor Noah.” Spade, one of the biggest stars to emerge from “Saturday Night Live” in the 1990s, brought an established comedic voice to a spot on the schedule that Comedy Central has struggled to find success in since the end in 2014 of “The Colbert Report” with Stephen Colbert. But “Lights Out” ultimately didn’t deliver audiences that lived up to network hopes. The show’s first season had been slated to run through June.

A production shutdown prompted by the coronavirus pandemic effectively ended the possibility of growing the audience for the show, which Comedy Central remains enthusiastic about creatively. Spade has, since then, been producing a digital version of the show from home, which Comedy Central will continue to mount on its non-linear platforms for the next few weeks. As evidence of the regard that the company holds for Spade and the strength of its relationship with him, it will partner with the comic and his team to pursue an outside buyer for “Lights Out” at a time when a rapidly growing number of platforms are looking for programming.
https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/com...out-1234570770

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.