Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Orville (S2E11) -- "Lasting Impressions" -- 3/21/19

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-19, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts
Re: The Orville (S2E11) -- "Lasting Impressions" -- 3/21/19

Wow, I loved this episode. Maybe it’s my bias for 24 alumni (Leighton Meester), but I was totally digging it.

Good music and probably the best episode with comedy throughout. The Dick Van Dyke joke was gold!
Old 03-25-19, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
It was more similiar to the Minuette storyline with Riker.
I have vague memories of "Leah Brahams", but "Minuette" escapes me completely.
Old 03-25-19, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
I have vague memories of "Leah Brahams", but "Minuette" escapes me completely.
It was a first season episodes that featured the binary. The episode was titled something like 010101010101010101. The binars created a holodeck program to distract Riker while they were doing something to the ships computers. She was Al's ok featured in another episode where Riker was on an advanced holodeck on an alien planet.

Last edited by movieguru; 03-25-19 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-25-19, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Tim Russ!!!!!
Bortus and his Mate

The rest...Snoozefest

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-25-19 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-25-19, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just watched it again. Didn't realize Leighton Meester was so charming. They should have had the future crew find the picture of Gordon and Laura on her phone. It would have created that Twilight Zone vibe.
Old 03-25-19, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
And nobody has mentioned it yet, Leighton Meester is as sweet as Tupelo honey. YUM!!

Um, post #12
Old 03-25-19, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Just watched it again. Didn't realize Leighton Meester was so charming. They should have had the future crew find the picture of Gordon and Laura on her phone. It would have created that Twilight Zone vibe.
I was sort of expecting that. Definitely would push it into Twilight Zone or Black Mirror territory.
Old 03-25-19, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I get the criticism. I know Trek backwards and forwards, so there is no idea Seth will recycle that I won't recognize, but TNG was 25 years ago and TOS was 50.

I started watching TOS reruns when I was a kid. There is a whole audience for Orville that hasn't seen these stories before, and Orville can be exactly what TOS was for me: an entry into sci-fi TV that is not going to stand up top the kind of logical scrutiny folks around here want to apply, but can still be very entertaining.

I really liked this episode. The A story was very sweet. The B story was humorous. It all held together as a completely entertaining hour of TV.

I saw an online review (not AV Club but something like it) that criticized this as a stand-alone episode you wouldn't bother to rewatch in a future binge. How did that become the standard for what a TV show should be?

Discovery has dark arcs and super-complicated mythology. Episode by episode, Discovery is as fun as a trip to the dentist.

There was a thread asking what shows you want to watch immediately. Orville is that show for me on Thursday nights because by the time I get to sit down in front of the TV, I am just looking to relax and be entertained for a little while.

And nobody has mentioned it yet, Leighton Meester is as sweet as Tupelo honey. YUM!!
Fair enough. My main point is that if you want to be part of a science fiction show in 2019, there are a ton of better examples of the genre than TNG. And, really, it's not like Seth is cherry picking the best episodes of TNG for inspiration which is doubly frustrating.

But, I agree that the show just isn't for me - unless he turns a corner with the finale, I don't think I'll come back for more.
Old 03-25-19, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by fiver
But, I agree that the show just isn't for me - unless he turns a corner with the finale, I don't think I'll come back for more.
Sadly I agree. I suffer from completism, but I'm working on it. The show has funny moments, but not enough to carry an episode. And the science fiction is of the dull and poorly executed network TV flavor, rife with gaping plot holes and nonsensical character actions. The 'serious' dialogue is typically wooden and cringe-worthy and the sitcom actors making up the cast are not nearly good enough to elevate it.

I don't know what the show is, but I know it isn't very good and I've given it more than enough time to get better. I understand there is an audience for this type of show given the successful runs of similar shows, but I was never drawn to those either. I gave it a shot because of McFarlane's involvement, but I leave disappointed.
Old 03-26-19, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This series started out with such promise.
Unfortunately, it has become more lackluster than anything else.
Yes, it has its moments, but the straight sci-fi stuff is hardly inspiring at this point.
Old 03-26-19, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

How many watch this and Discovery?
Last year Discovery had major problems and it made Orville a refreshing wave of nostalgia. But this year Discovery has been great and I think Orville can’t ride that nostalgia wave in the presence of actual good Trek.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Orville a lot. But these two shows are intertwined in my mind, and Discovery has pulled ahead. Does anyone else feel like the better Discovery is, the harder it becomes to truly enjoy Orville for what it is?
Old 03-26-19, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Last year Discovery had major problems and it made Orville a refreshing wave of nostalgia. But this year Discovery has been great and I think Orville can’t ride that nostalgia wave in the presence of actual good Trek.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Orville a lot. But these two shows are intertwined in my mind, and Discovery has pulled ahead. Does anyone else feel like the better Discovery is, the harder it becomes to truly enjoy Orville for what it is?
Discovery is very dark and dark isnt always a bad thing but doesn't really feel like Star Trek. It also seems to suffer from lack of direction throughout the season. They try to make a whole season look like one long cohesive movie, but the first half of the first season went one way and then they went off on a tangent with the whole Mirror Univers thing. The Orville is much more fun to watch. It can't be taken as seriously as TNG but it still has thought provoking storylines and shows things that you would know would happen on the Enterprise but would be to low brow for them to mention or show on screen. Discovery loses opportunity at character development by not being able to have single episodes that focus on a minute aspect of a sinle character like TNG has done.
Old 03-26-19, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

It's shocking to me that anyone would think Discovery has good characters. The blob on Orville has more depth than any of the characters on Discovery.
Old 03-26-19, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wow....
Old 03-26-19, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by ben12
It's shocking to me that anyone would think Discovery has good characters. The blob on Orville has more depth than any of the characters on Discovery.

Please explain. Because your post makes no sense...AT ALL.
Old 03-26-19, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo

I watch both and enjoy both. I can watch them as 2 different shows without connecting them and comparing them even though they seem to be distant cousins.
Old 03-26-19, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

As previously posted, I watch both. Even though DIS is set in the world of TOS, ORV is much more in the spirit of TOS.

I like the current season of DIS more than the first one. In all seriousness, part of me could not get past the re-imagining of the Klingons. And the overall season narrative was all over the place.
In some ways, the current season of DIS is about as fucking crazy as the narratives on Gotham, but I can definitely make more sense of it as it goes by week to week.

I don't have grand expectations for ORV. Given my affection for TOS, ORV is right in my wheelhouse. I just want it to be entertaining and interesting. If ORV manages to produce 50 total episodes, I'll be surprised.

I absolutely understand that this forum exists so that viewers can chew over the shows they watch, and that will almost certainly lead to criticism because the more you think about anything, the more flaws you find.

Watch some TOS episodes. Half of what they do doen't make a lick of sense. I just don't care enough about ORV to rip it apart every week.
Old 03-26-19, 06:41 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I watch both and enjoy both. I can watch them as 2 different shows without connecting them and comparing them even though they seem to be distant cousins.
That's pretty much where I am.
Old 03-27-19, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I liked the episode a lot. Yeah, I noticed the obvious similarities to some Star Trek holodeck episodes but I thought the twist with the ex-boyfriend gave this episode something of its own to work with. And that Gordon deleting the old boyfriend from the program had the unintended effect of ruining Laura's personality was a nice depiction of how a large part of a person's personality is an accumulation of life experiences, and subtracting certain major experiences would change the person's personality.

Even though I don't want this show to get into the bad habit of using the environmental simulator (holodeck) as a plot crutch as the Star Trek series tended to do (particularly TNG), i think this episode handled it right.
Old 03-27-19, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

We've had enough holodeck episodes to last a couple seasons at this point, IMO. The theme of this one was interesting but the actual show was pretty boring, IMO. So now three crew members have slept with holograms (including the robot since his "human parts" were holo)?
Old 03-27-19, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Noonan
We've had enough holodeck episodes to last a couple seasons at this point, IMO. The theme of this one was interesting but the actual show was pretty boring, IMO. So now three crew members have slept with holograms (including the robot since his "human parts" were holo)?
They probably all have.
Old 03-27-19, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

I mean, literally everyone would if a holodeck was a real thing. But why do we need 3 episodes in one season dealing with that?

For holodeck episodes, I much prefer the period pieces from TNG; Holmes, and that inspector JLP would roleplay as.
Old 03-27-19, 03:51 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

They probably all have.
I know I would have. Every night. Every day too.

Holy shit. I have a holo-sex addiction and holodecks don't even exist yet.
Old 03-27-19, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F

Add in any consumable you can imagine just for the asking and you have an unlimited supply of the only two things that coaxed humans out of the caves.
Old 03-27-19, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
We've had enough holodeck episodes to last a couple seasons at this point, IMO.
Agreed.

They probably all have.
Originally Posted by Eric F
Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Add in any consumable you can imagine just for the asking and you have an unlimited supply of the only two things that coaxed humans out of the caves.
Funny stuff.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.