TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Deadwind (aka Karppi) - Netflix

Old 03-11-19, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Deadwind (aka Karppi) - Netflix

Sofia Karppi (Pihla Viitala) returns to her work as a homicide detective in the Helsinki Police Department while taking care of two children after the accidental death of her husband. Rookie detective Sakari Nurmi (Lauri Tilkanen) is transferred from the financial crime unit to the homicide unit as Karppi's partner. Their first case begins as a routine disappearance. Women's clothes found at a construction site leads the detectives to the body of social affairs consultant Anna Bergdahl (Pamela Tola) ó buried with flowers in her hands at a shore belonging to wind power research firm Tempo. Anna has been murdered, and her husband, Usko Bergdahl (Jani Volanen), is confused after hearing about the incident. Karppi and Nurmi start investigating Anna's background, such as her job with the Tempo company and its critical construction project.

Has anybody else watched this? We just finished watching. Itís been on Netflix since last fall and originally aired in Finland about a year ago. As itís entirely in subtitles it took us longer to finish - actually took the wife a while to get into.

The entire series revolves around one murder case. There are a lot of supporting characters throughout and you quickly come to understand the world the victim came from and the people in those circles.

One of the most fresh aspects to me was the location and cinematography, which I felt lent a lot to the story. Thereís a sense of dread from the case, which carries over from the cold, dark setting.

I will say there are a few plot threads that donít really go anywhere and slow the overall plot. They do help build the world of the characters, but the core story could have done without. Regardless, if you like strong characters and plot that isnít telegraphed Iíd recommend watching.

The series has been picked up for more, but the case and plot is all wrapped up here.
Old 03-12-19, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Deadwind (aka Karppi) - Netflix

I saw it but to be honest I don't remember much about it. There are a few others like The Break (subtitles on that one too) on Netflix that are more memorable. Safe (no subtitles) is another pretty good one to check out.