HBO's Michael Jackson Documentary Leaving Neverland

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

HBO's Michael Jackson Documentary Leaving Neverland

Old 04-10-19, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,158 Likes on 4,191 Posts
Re: HBO's Michael Jackson Documentary Leaving Neverland

Originally Posted by dhmac
You know the original news story from 1989 is still out there, right? ( LINK )

And the original story includes this sentence:

Michael Jackson bought toy figurines and a pair of sunglasses. And that's all he bought. No rings.
He was shopping with the boy at two separate stores. One of them was Zales. They don't sell toys. Maybe they kept that purchase from that store quiet (which is entirely their right),. Maybe this time on that video he didn't buy a ring, but is it really that hard for you to accept that maybe he, you know, did buy him one later? Or do you buy the official story that the boy was there to help him size a ring for Michael Jackson to give to Shery Crow?
I keep wondering why you think that everybody is lying except Michael Jackson.
Old 04-10-19, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 836 Likes on 584 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
No matter what happens, you always thinks he's guilty. Nothing will ever change your mind.
Because he slept with children and admitted to it. Sounds pretty guilty to me.
Old 04-10-19, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

My mind cannot comprehend someone thinking that a non related man well into his 30's and 40's, invites little boys for sleepovers, and admits to sharing his bed with them, yet nothing sexual ever happened.
Old 04-10-19, 11:34 AM

You guys are totally underestimating dhmac's astonishing ability to deny facts. Taking you back to the ring thing for a second. He doesn't think that Jackson bought Safechuck a wedding ring despite
1) Hearing the account from Safechuck
2) Seeing that Safechuck still has the wedding band with a collection of other small child sized gold jewelry
3) Seeing store surveillance video of Jackson in disguise, with Safechuck, shopping for wedding rings
4) Watching an interview with a Zales store clerk talking about Jackson shopping for wedding rings

So far, he has responded to that by claiming that
1) That scene was poorly edited into the documentary at a later date
2) Those rings look big for a child
3) That story sounds like something that was in a book
4) Jackson's publicist said that they only bought glasses and toys, so no ring was bought (remember, he was shopping at Zales, The Diamond Store)

If he can deny even something that trivial, do you think it's hard for him to deny that he was raping small boys just because he was sleeping in bed with small boys? Of course he doesn't think that way. Every thought he has is predicated on the (unfathomable) belief that Jackson is innocent and was falsely accused. All the other stuff is mental gymnastics that he and other Jackson supporters are doing to desperately keep that position alive despite all evidence to the contrary.

And for the record, I do think there were kids that Jackson slept in bed with that he didn't rape. I think the whole Macaulay Culkin thing was asexual and was essentially MJ trying to appear like he legitimately was just "hanging out" with small boys. As if since he was often appearing with a famous small boy, it would be less suspicious when he often appeared with other far less powerful and independent small boys that he was in fact sexually assaulting. I think it was his first famous "beard", a practice he would soon repeat with Lisa Marie Presley.
Old 04-10-19, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I think the whole Macaulay Culkin thing was asexual and was essentially MJ trying to appear like he legitimately was just "hanging out" with small boys. As if since he was often appearing with a famous small boy, it would be less suspicious when he often appeared with other far less powerful and independent small boys that he was in fact sexually assaulting. I think it was his first famous "beard", a practice he would soon repeat with Lisa Marie Presley.
Said it here before, I think he used Macaulay Culkin and Corey Feldman as like PR agents. To normalize his relationships with young boys. He knew if he showed them a good time, they'd speak well of him. Kind of like Al Jean's comments above, it was all carefully orchestrated to craft the image and set the stage for future grooming.

While searching around on Corey Feldman, found this. Apparently Corey Haim was taped for his A&E show The Two Coreys saying Jackson and Charlie Sheen assaulted him.
https://radaronline.com/videos/corey...ackson-attack/

Old 04-10-19, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 836 Likes on 584 Posts

Someone who was abused by his father as a child, shares his bed with under-aged boys, spends most of his personal time with them, is never seen dating or hanging around women in public or private, and has had 2 sham marriages - one of which resulted in kids where the mother admitted to never having sex with him, and overall is socially awkward and has several psychological issues - you're telling me this person is a pedophile? I'm totally shocked. Totally.

What are you going to tell me next - the earth is round?
Old 04-11-19, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,298 Likes on 943 Posts

Per TMZ

'LEAVING NEVERLAND' HBO ISN'T PULLING IT ... Celebs Like It Too Much

HBO is denying reports it yanked its Michael Jackson documentary off the air, and adds ... "Leaving Neverland" isn't leaving it's lineup any time soon, partly because of its popularity with celebs.

Rumors circulated this week that HBO had removed the 2-part documentary from its programming -- there were very few listings of it on the lineup, but HBO tells us that's standard ops for its documentaries.

It says 'Neverland' will stay on its TV cable service for another week, and then it will be available for streaming on HBO On Demand, HBO GO and HBO NOW for months to come.

HBO also told us it's continuing to get very vocal support for 'Neverland' from celebs like Ellen DeGeneres, Sia, Bill Maher, Judd Apatow, Eve, Rosie O'Donnell and Gayle King.

Since its March 4 premiere, part 1 of 'Neverland' has pulled in 7.5 million viewers ... according to HBO, which it says is second only to a Scientology documentary it aired.

HBO says while it's normal to slowly reduce airings of documentaries after several weeks ... they'll consider bringing it back to TV in the future. For now, it will always be available on its other streaming platforms.
Old 07-14-19, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Michael Jackson fans sue singer's alleged abuse victims for 'damaging memory of the dead'

Paris (CNN)When Michael Jackson superfan Myriam Walter first saw the HBO "Leaving Neverland" documentary, in which two key witnesses gave a graphic account of sexual abuse at the hands of the star, she said she cried and wanted to vomit.
Referring to Jackson's alleged pedophilia, the 62-year-old former French nurse said, "I know that it is not possible," despite having never met the star. "It was rotten. It was to make a buzz. It was to make money."
Now she is among three groups of fans who are suing the two victims of Jackson's alleged abuse, Wade Robson and James Safechuck, in a French court, hoping to challenge a perceived smear of their idol, who died in 2009.

Full story here: https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/14/europ...ntl/index.html

Old 07-14-19, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 162 Posts

So after viewing a documentary of Japan's ruthless slaughter, rape, and pillage of various Chinese cities during World War II, and hearing recounts by surviving victims of their ordeal in the hands of Japanese soldiers; am I now allowed to sue these hapless victims for tarnishing the shining image of the great country of Japan in my eyes?
Old 08-04-19, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sheryl Crow claims that Michael Jackson had a huge network of people allowing his alleged abuse. She was a backup singer during MJ's Bad Tour from 1987 to 1989.

https://www.wonderwall.com/news/sher...020583.article
Old 08-04-19, 02:54 PM

^ So that child-sized wedding ring wasn't for her? Who would have thought that?
Old 08-04-19, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~
So after viewing a documentary of Japan's ruthless slaughter, rape, and pillage of various Chinese cities during World War II, and hearing recounts by surviving victims of their ordeal in the hands of Japanese soldiers; am I now allowed to sue these hapless victims for tarnishing the shining image of the great country of Japan in my eyes?
You can, and it'll be thrown out just like this will.
Old 08-27-19, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 714 Likes on 584 Posts

MTV removed his name from the VMA Video Vanguard Award

In 1991, MTV rechristened the Video Vanguard Award the “Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award.” But this year — presumably due to backlash stemming from the disturbing documentary Leaving Neverland, which alleges that Jackson sexually abused two young boys, James Safechuck and Wade Robson — the words “Michael Jackson” had seemingly been removed from the category without fanfare or explanation. (Representatives for MTV did not respond to Yahoo Entertainment’s inquiry as to whether the award’s title had been officially switched back; it had been previously reported that it would not be changed, a decision which drew protest from Robson.)

In fact, the only mention of Michael Jackson’s name during the telecast came from Elliott herself, when she said during her acceptance speech, “This Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award means so much to me.” It was unclear if the namecheck was just a force of habit, or if she was making a grand statement — but in her speech, Elliott did notably thank Michael’s sister, Janet, calling her a “great friend.”Twitter opinion skewed in favor of keeping Michael Jackson’s name on the award, with many fans online outraged by Monday’s omission and praising Elliott for referencing Michael.

Outside on the red carpet, most of the celebrities who spoke to Yahoo Entertainment concurred. “We still don’t know one way or the other [what happened]. Michael Jackson is still Michael Jackson,” said Ice-T, while Todrick Hall added, “We don’t know if anything that’s been allegedly said [about Jackson abusing children] is actually fact or fiction. But I don’t think we should take away from Michael Jackson’s legacy. And I am so excited to see Missy Elliott perform and receive her award!”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...071102509.html
Old 08-30-19, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is an interesting revelation concerning MJ and Brando:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/marlo...b0488c0d11cde0
Old 08-30-19, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
MTV removed his name from the VMA Video Vanguard Award
They should rename it the "Chuck Berry VMA Video Vanguard Award"
Old 08-30-19, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 714 Likes on 584 Posts

Chuck Berry never got his videos played on MTV

Maybe TruTV would play the movies he made
Old 08-30-19, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Maybe TruTV would play the movies he made
After I posted that I told the wife they were renaming the award and she said "But Chuck Berry didn't do videos" and I said to Google: Chuck Berry videotape. After about a minute I hear her go "Eww...why did you do that to me?"
Old 03-01-20, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

HBO Seeks Dismissal of Michael Jackson Estate’s Suit Over ‘Leaving Neverland’

HBO urged an appeals court on Friday to throw out litigation brought by the Michael Jackson estate over the 2019 documentary “Leaving Neverland.”

HBO and the Jackson estate have been locked in a legal war ever since the premium cable network agreed to run the documentary, which chronicles child sexual abuse allegations against Jackson.

The Jackson estate has argued that the two men featured in the documentary — Wade Robson and James Safechuck — fabricated their allegations for financial gain. The estate’s lawyers could not sue for defamation, as Jackson is dead, but they dug up a contract from a 1992 HBO concert special from Jackson’s “Dangerous” tour, which contained a non-disparagement clause.

The estate argued that the documentary constituted a breach of the 1992 agreement, and went to court seeking to compel arbitration. HBO countered that the estate was seeking to squelch free expression by invoking a clause from an irrelevant and long-expired contract.

But in September, U.S. District Judge George Wu sided with Jackson’s estate and granted the motion for arbitration.

In an opening brief to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, HBO’s attorney, Theodore Boutrous, urged the court to reverse Wu’s ruling on the grounds that the contract had expired, and to order the case dismissed. He argued that HBO had aired the concert film — “Live in Bucharest” — exactly once, and that neither side had operated as though the contract were still in effect over the subsequent 27 years.

He noted, for instance, that Jackson’s attorneys had never updated the contact information for his attorneys and management firm, even though the attorneys no longer represent Jackson and the management firm no longer exists.

“In light of the contract as a whole, it would be unreasonable to interpret the non-disparagement sentence, which is collateral to the 1992 Agreement’s principal objective of a one-time-only exhibition of ‘Live in Bucharest,’ to mean that the parties intended for HBO to waive its right to disseminate newsworthy allegations about Mr. Jackson for all time on any topic,” Boutrous wrote.

He also argued that the estate is essentially making a defamation claim, and trying to use the 1992 contract to get around the prohibition on bringing such claims on behalf of dead people.

“The petition in this case is a transparent effort to unlawfully punish ‘would-be critics’ of public figures like Mr. Jackson who ‘may be deterred from voicing their criticism, even though it is believed to be true and even though it is in fact true,'” Boutrous wrote, quoting from the Supreme Court’s decision in New York Times v. Sullivan, which sets a high bar for defamation claims against public figures.

The Jackson estate’s response is due on March 30.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/h...ef-1203519726/

I don't see how the Jackson estate has a leg to stand on in this case.