Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Kominsky Method (Netflix) S: Michael Douglas, Alan Arkin, C: Chuck Lorre

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-16-18, 11:15 AM

The sun isn't setting yet on the once famous Sandy Kominsky and his longtime agent Norman Newlander. Academy Award(R) Winners Michael Douglas (Kominsky) and Alan Arkin (Newlander) star as two friends tackling life's inevitable curveballs as they navigate their later years in Los Angeles, a city that values youth and beauty. Both comedic and emotional, The Kominsky Method is an 8-episode, half-hour single camera show created by 8-time Emmy Award Nominee Chuck Lorre.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
∑ Alan Arkin as Norman Newlander
∑ Ashleigh LaThrop as Breana
∑ Casey Brown as Lane
∑ Emily Osment as Theresa
∑ Graham Rogers as Jude
∑ Jenna Lyng Adams as Darshani
∑ Lisa Edelstein as Phoebe
∑ Melissa Tang as Margaret
∑ Michael Douglas as Sandy Kominsky
∑ Nancy Travis as Lisa
∑ Sarah Baker as Mindy
∑ Susan Sullivan as Eileen

CREW INFORMATION:
∑ Al Higgins as CRTR/EP
∑ Chuck Lorre as CRTR/EP/DIR (Pilot)
∑ David Javerbaum as CRTR
∑ Michael Douglas as EP
Old 11-16-18, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Kominsky Method (Netflix) S: Michael Douglas, Alan Arkin, C: Chuck Lorre

I hate Chuck Lorre's shows so I guess I'm out.
Old 11-16-18, 02:35 PM

Re: The Kominsky Method (Netflix) S: Michael Douglas, Alan Arkin, C: Chuck Lorre

30 minute shows? I can spare some time while sitting on the can.
Old 11-16-18, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
I hate Chuck Lorre's shows so I guess I'm out.
I've watched the first episode and it was hardly a sitcom, -more of a character drama with some banter. We'll see how it plays out. Funny thing, Lorre is still doing his vanity card messages, but most people will miss them because it jumps to the next episode unless you click on the "watch credits" box.
Old 11-23-18, 07:46 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

I’m enjoying the heck out of this one. Really good. Dark comedy, but heart, humor, well written dialogue. Very genuine and good so far and I usually don’t go for Lorre shows or septuagenarian type stuff, but this is really well done and the chemistry between Douglas and Arkin is just great...
Old 11-26-18, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Iím enjoying the heck out of this one. Really good. Dark comedy, but heart, humor, well written dialogue. Very genuine and good so far and I usually donít go for Lorre shows or septuagenarian type stuff, but this is really well done and the chemistry between Douglas and Arkin is just great...
Does it get too depressing at any points? Wife and I were thinking about starting this last night but we didn't want something to bum us out. This looks great but also a bit down with the subject matter.
Old 11-27-18, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I also watched the first one, and it's more "dramedy" than comedy - not sure if that changes in future episodes, as the first one was pretty heavy in terms of drama. Douglas is very good in this, but the laughs are few and far between.
Old 01-12-19, 07:46 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

it changes. it gets down right hysterical as it gets going. bout to finish the 8 eps. tonight. really funny, really good, but still has heart. deserved GG for Douglas and show.
Old 01-13-19, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I also liked it quite a bit. There were a couple of heavy moments, but overall was very funny. I only wish there were more episodes, so hopefully a second season is released at some point.
Old 01-14-19, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like it, but I just binged Barry which also takes place at an acting class. Weird coincidence.
Old 01-14-19, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Enjoyed the show overall - and it really was gold when Douglas and Arkin were onscreen together. Nice mix of real-life cameos and roles by name actors (though I had a problem getting past Ann-Margaret's plastic surgery - her face didn't move at all. Man, she was a major crush of mine way back whenever).

Not necessarily feeling a second season is required, but if it does happen I hope there is less 'acting class' moments. I hated all of those people in his class, and dreaded their soliloquies.
Old 01-14-19, 03:27 PM

They’re trying to hammer out the details on Season 2. Netflix wants more than 8 episodes, but Douglas doesn’t.
https://deadline.com/2019/01/the-kom...202530578/amp/
Old 01-17-19, 02:17 PM

Renewed for 8 episodes:
https://deadline.com/2019/01/the-kom...hNn9qv1eSOT6kk
Old 02-08-19, 08:00 AM

Netflix isn’t wasting any time when it comes to adding some notable names to the second season of The Kominsky Method. The streaming giant announced today that Jane Seymour, Jacqueline Bisset and Paul Reiser will join the sophomore season of the Golden Globe-winning comedy in recurring roles.

Seymour will play Madelyn who is described as a seventy-something, well-to-do woman whom Norman (Alan Arkin) had a mad love affair with in the ’60s before he met his wife. After fifty years, the two reunite and start it again. Bisset steps into the role of Gabrielle who is Mindy’s (Sarah Baker) mom and Sandy’s (Michael Douglas) French ex-wife who delights in still being able to push the buttons of her ex-husband. Rounding out the trio is Reiser who plays a sixty-something high school teacher who gets romantically involved with Mindy.
https://deadline.com/2019/02/the-kom...e199mclk98mabs
Old 02-08-19, 09:14 AM

I'd missed the renewal... that plus the new additions
Old 02-08-19, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought this was pretty good. Glad to hear renewed for more. Would like to see more than 8 however.