Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

SNL (S44E01) -- 09/29/18 -- H: Adam Driver -- MG: Kanye West (Season 44 Premier)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SNL (S44E01) -- 09/29/18 -- H: Adam Driver -- MG: Kanye West (Season 44 Premier)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-18, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Re: SNL (S44E01) -- 09/29/18 -- H: Adam Driver -- MG: Kanye West (Season 44 Premier)

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
The oil industry dad sketch was great. Bravo to Driver for that performance.
All This! This was one of those great comedy gems where it starts off awkward and gets funnier and funnier as it goes on. By the end I was laughing my ass off and wanted more.

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Oil Barron character was great, but also clearly inspired by There Will Be Blood. Not that original.
Hey ya'll! We've just been MABUS'D!!!!

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-01-18 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-01-18, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 319 Likes on 218 Posts
Re: SNL (S44E01) -- 09/29/18 -- H: Adam Driver -- MG: Kanye West (Season 44 Premier)

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
This! This was one of those great comedy gems where it starts off awkward and gets funnier and funnier as it goes on. By the end I was laughing my ass off and wanted more.
It was pretty hilarious. You could tell Davidson was having trouble holding it together. I thought it was brought down just slightly by Villasenor's delivery, which didn't quite achieve what that character was going for as well as it could have. I think if she and Bryant had switched roles, Bryant could have been much better doing the "Parnassus fangirl" bit.
Old 10-01-18, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
It was pretty hilarious. You could tell Davidson was having trouble holding it together. I thought it was brought down just slightly by Villasenor's delivery, which didn't quite achieve what that character was going for as well as it could have. I think if she and Bryant had switched roles, Bryant could have been much better doing the "Parnassus fangirl" bit.
Maybe, I didn't have issues with her delivery but can see were some might. Whyyyy does he look like Christopher Plumber in this role?
Old 10-01-18, 02:26 PM

Received 4,609 Likes on 3,125 Posts

The choice to have Damon to play Kavanaugh was not something fans might have predicted ahead of time, and as it turns out, Damon’s casting came together without much notice at all. According to a source close to the show, it was reportedly co-head writer Colin Jost’s idea to have Damon play Kavanaugh, and after running it by Damon sometime after midnight on Friday night, Damon agreed to take on the role. Not long later, at 6 a.m. on Saturday morning, Damon flew from California to New York and arrived at SNL’s 30 Rock studio at 4 p.m. to begin rehearsals.

In other words, Damon started prepping his Kavanaugh less than eight hours before it aired on live television.
Old 10-01-18, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 731 Likes on 596 Posts

I noticed that as well.

I think they "fixed" it for the west coast airing (if they're still doing that), as I saw it on a later airing of it.

Is the into voice done live or is it pre-recorded?

It airs live here in CA at 8:30pm and that glitch was not fixed. I assume they do that live.
Old 10-01-18, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Glad to see the oil baron sketch get attention. I thought it was special when I was watching it. But I’m typically easy to please.

I figured Damon has some link to SNL or Lorne Michaels. He also did those guest spots on 30 Rock.