Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Are you relieved when new shows get bad reviews?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Are you relieved when shows you're considering watching get bad reviews?
Yes it's a relief
50.00%
No I like having more options
50.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-18, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Single Parents was 75 on Metacritic this morning, and I was like nooo I can't handle another sitcom. Now it's down to 65 and I can skip it. Same thing with Mayans MC. Is this feeling of relief when interesting looking shows you're considering watching get panned common? If it's something very much up your alley that you'll watch no matter what like Legion or the Alienist for me then they can be excluded when you're pleased they get good reviews. This is specifically for shows you may or may not watch.
Old 09-26-18, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Re: Are you relieved when new shows get bad reviews?

No, I’m not relieved. But I think we’re in a period where there is more television to watch than one can realistically consume. So I get why most, especially here in this forum, are being picky on what to commit to. I love always having something to watch, but then again I only have so many hours I can sit down and watch TV. I have to work, sleep and do other things. I still love TV, but it’s becoming increasingly difficult to keep up with every cool, buzz worthy show.
Old 09-26-18, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Critical acclaim rarely works as a guide for me when it comes to television programming. Outside of a few premium cable shows, most television these days is disposable and YMMV.

I don't have the time anymore to give shows an extended chance. If they aren't good within the first 2-3 episodes, they are dead to me. Back in the day, I'd give a show half a season if I liked the cast or some other element.
Old 09-26-18, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

To me, I'll basically DVR things, and if the backlog grows beyond like 3 or 4, especially for an hour long show that's 20+ episodes a season, I know I'll never catch up, that it wasn't keeping my interest enough to be on top of the pile and I'll just wait for it to stream.
Old 09-26-18, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want every show to be a 10/10 level show for the audience it's looking to capture. As today's new hotness is just next year's random bulk streaming content. I just don't view shows as existing in an ep by ep format anymore.

So with that in mind the better a show does over all, the higher the ratings, the longer I know it will be around in the years that fallow. So I don't have to worry so much about watching it now. As this frees me up to watch shows that hook me in with a interesting theme or something unique for a story line, even if not all that popular or well reviews.

Plus reviews don't give much credit for a show being unique or different and I like a random sort of show with a good hook of some nature. Yet those sort of shows don't tend to be reviewed all that well.
Old 09-26-18, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts

I never read reviews, as I don't let other people's opinions influence my own. And that doesn't apply to just TV shows, but any topic.
Old 09-26-18, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I don't give a shit what common opinions are on a show anyways. If it looks interesting, the premise is interesting, etc... I'll check it out and form my own opinion.
Old 09-28-18, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Yes, I am The amount of shows is completely overwhelming, so when everyone agrees something is shit, I don't bother with it.
Old 09-29-18, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It depends on the show - if I'm interested in the talent involved, or the genre, I'll check it out regardless of critical consensus. Having so many choices these days is both daunting and exhilarating.
Old 09-29-18, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
No, I’m not relieved. But I think we’re in a period where there is more television to watch than one can realistically consume. So I get why most, especially here in this forum, are being picky on what to commit to. I love always having something to watch, but then again I only have so many hours I can sit down and watch TV. I have to work, sleep and do other things. I still love TV, but it’s becoming increasingly difficult to keep up with every cool, buzz worthy show.
Agreed 100%. #firstworldproblems
Old 09-29-18, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

It’s a way to keep TV watching in check. However, now that we have YouTube TV, we set up to record anything that seems interesting, and have 9 months to get to it. Unlimited DVR storage.
Old 09-29-18, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 868 Likes on 391 Posts

Really only if it's a show I decided to not watch. Then, I'm kind of glad if it gets cancelled during/after the 1st season.
If it's something I'm watching, I don't care about ratings. If I like it, I'll keep watching. If I don't like it, then I'll stop watching it. Like I did with Scandal & How to get away with Murder.
But if it's something I skipped and I hear it's doing well I will probably check it out. Modern Family was one I originally skipped then saw it was getting rave reviews, so I started watching it.
Old 09-30-18, 10:25 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Nothing worse than getting into a show and it gets cancelled halfway through it's first season so unfortunately reviews and ratings do mean something even though we would like them not to

but of course it's better to have more and more successful shows out there

i do worry about too many shows diluting audiences

will we ever get mega big budget pilot episodes like Lost ever again ?
Old 09-30-18, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
will we ever get mega big budget pilot episodes like Lost ever again ?
On a broadcast network? No, even over a decade ago that Lost pilot was a huge gamble by ABC. Networks don't think serialized dramas are great investments anymore.

The rewards just aren't there unless a show becomes a monster in syndication like Big Bang Theory and you own the property. But no one can predict which comedy will hit mainstream success with any certainty.