DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Avatar: The Last Airbender (Netflix) - Live-Action Series - premieres 2/22/24 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/645203-avatar-last-airbender-netflix-live-action-series-premieres-2-22-24-a.html)

dex14 09-18-18 12:09 PM

Avatar: The Last Airbender (Netflix) - Live-Action Series - premieres 2/22/24

Netflix is set to produce a live-action series based on Nickelodeon’s mid-2000s animated series Avatar: The Last Airbender, and is bringing aboard original creators Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko as executive producers and showrunners. The new series will be made in partnership with Nickelodeon, with production to start next year.

The original Avatar: The Last Airbender aired for three seasons on Nickelodeon from February 2005-July 2008, winning an Emmy in 2017 and a Peabody Award among other honors. The series followed main protagonist Aang and his friends, who must save the world by defeating Fire Lord Ozai and ending the destructive war with the Fire Nation. A total of 61 episodes aired.

“We’re thrilled for the opportunity to helm this live-action adaptation of Avatar: The Last Airbender,” DiMartino and Konietzko said in a release announcing the project. “We can’t wait to realize Aang’s world as cinematically as we always imagined it to be, and with a culturally appropriate, non-whitewashed cast. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime chance to build upon everyone’s great work on the original animated series and go even deeper into the characters, story, action, and world-building. Netflix is wholly dedicated to manifesting our vision for this retelling, and we’re incredibly grateful to be partnering with them.”

The property has spawned a comic book and graphic novel series, and the home video compilation Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Complete Series is nearing $5 million in retail sales since its release earlier this year.

“We are committed to honoring Bryan and Mike’s vision for this retelling and are thrilled to support them on creating a live-action event series, bringing Aang’s epic world of elemental magic to life for global audiences on Netflix,” said Netflix’s Melissa Cobb, VP Kids & Family Content.
https://deadline.com/2018/09/avatar-...ix-1202467089/

Koby 09-18-18 02:43 PM

re: Avatar: The Last Airbender (Netflix) - Live-Action Series - premieres 2/22/24

Hopefully they learned from The Witcher casting issues fans had and can do something with this series better than the live-action movie was. If it does well, I wonder if they're considering continuing this on through the Korra years too.

milo bloom 09-18-18 04:56 PM

re: Avatar: The Last Airbender (Netflix) - Live-Action Series - premieres 2/22/24

With the original creators involved, I think they'll get it right.

The only question is why it's needed? Hopefully they'll use the opportunity to show more of the past avatars.

dex14 08-12-21 10:06 AM

Mike86 08-12-21 10:15 AM

I was looking for this thread before but couldn’t find it. Cast for this looks good to me. Curious how this show will be in live action. I watched the Nickelodeon series last summer with my girlfriend and wound up liking it quite a bit.

DWilson 08-12-21 10:18 AM

I started watching the series years ago, -was it on Netflix?, -and I rather enjoyed the first season. And then I saw the live-action film, and it soured me on Airbender and I never watched any more of it.

fujishig 08-12-21 10:27 AM

Netflix has a bunch of these "cartoon turned into live action" series on the books, but how many have been released? The only one I can think of is Winx which didn't seem all that beloved by the fans of that series. I guess they have released a bunch of movies like Death Note and Bleach.

I'm still worried about stuff like Cowboy Bebop and One Piece. Avatar seems like it would need a lengthy series as well, which is always at risk at Netflix.

spainlinx0 08-12-21 10:32 AM

I believe this has the added issue that Netflix had the original creators in the beginning, but then they left due to "creative differences." So, I have to say I'm quite skeptical of this series, and I am a big fan of the original animated series.

milo bloom 08-12-21 01:29 PM

Funny, I just saw this comment on tumblr earlier from user cruelsister and it just says it perfectly

will people ever learn that animation is not an inferior medium of storytelling and actually some stories are fundamentally much better suited for animation and trying to make them live action might be doing them a huge disservice
I don't really want to see this. I don't think I'm alone.

dex14 09-27-22 10:46 AM

RocShemp 10-01-22 03:19 PM

Aren't they skewing a little young for Bumi (I'm assuming they'll bury the actor in prosthetics)? Is it because they assumed they couldn't find an older actor with the right amount of energy?

dex14 06-17-23 05:10 PM

DJariya 10-17-23 02:10 PM

Netflix dropped a few stills on X

RocShemp 10-18-23 05:38 AM

Those pictures look promising, but I still have some trepidation given Netflix pushed the original IP creators off this show.

devilshalo 11-09-23 04:21 PM

RocShemp 11-09-23 07:03 PM

I have mixed feelings. The production design and wardrobe look spot on, but the overall product has a fan film vibe.

devilshalo 01-23-24 11:21 AM

dex14 02-20-24 12:01 PM

Cellar Door 02-23-24 01:00 PM

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender (Netflix) - Live-Action Series - premieres 2/22/24

I watched the first episode last night. It was okay--didn't blow me away. It stays pretty true to the opening of the animated series, with some things shown in a different order I think. The visuals are pretty good. It's a little difficult to judge the acting because this show is kind of going for the tone of the original series, so it's hard to tell if these actors are going for that cartoonish vibe (if so, they need to dial it up more) or if they just aren't very good actors. I found the guy playing Sokka to be the best of the lot, which surprised me a little.

Mike86 02-24-24 08:58 PM

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender (Netflix) - Live-Action Series - premieres 2/22/24

Just watched the first episode. Thought it was a pretty good start. Enough where I’ll keep going with it. The animated series is a classic and will be hard to match or beat but I think this is a solid attempt.

Osiris3657 02-25-24 04:36 PM

I was forced to sit through this for my gf's sake. She's a 41 year old woman and likes the original so she wanted to watch it. She liked it, I couldn't have cared less. This is for like teens or even pre-teens. Yes I told her that too

Why So Blu? 02-25-24 06:10 PM

This is getting mixed reviews. The animated show is still the standard and this series lost its show runner mid-season, so who knows how it ended up. I haven't started it yet.

spainlinx0 02-25-24 07:27 PM

I would say this show is decidedly average. It's better than I expected, but it just doesn't match up to the original show. The casting worked well for me, and the acting was... serviceable. Even some of the CGI was decent, but bending works sooooo much better in animation. The bending doesn't have the impact, scale, or fluidity of the cartoon.

Also, the plot feels a little bit rushed. It's hard for me to gauge since I'm a fan of the original, but some of the emotional beats seemed a little premature for the short time we have spent with the characters.

I think they did a decent job condensing the plot, but it really feels like a Cliff's Notes version of the original show. I'd give it a B- or C+.

Mike86 02-25-24 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 14392841)
I was forced to sit through this for my gf's sake. She's a 41 year old woman and likes the original so she wanted to watch it. She liked it, I couldn't have cared less. This is for like teens or even pre-teens. Yes I told her that too

I mean that’s what the show was originally too. It was an animated Nickelodeon show. Still has a good story though. So far I’d say the live action series is okay but the animated show is a classic and overall I enjoy it more.

DJariya 03-06-24 09:43 AM

Renewed for seasons 2 and 3.