Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who (BBC America) -- Series 11 Discussion Thread -- Premieres 10/07/18

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-18, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: Doctor Who (BBC America) -- Series 11 Discussion Thread -- Premieres 10/07/18

Originally Posted by randian
Regardless of what the rest of the BBC does, Chibnall runs Dr Who. I'm pretty sure it was his decision to omit a Christmas show in favor of a New Year's show. The politics on Dr Who this year are pretty heavy-handed, courtesy of Chibnall. Would it be so surprising said politics is why this change is happening?
Yeah it would be. Christmas in the UK is pretty secular. It’s not political at all. It’s barely religious out side of the carols. I’d argue the Church of England took the “Christ” out of Christmas a few hundred years ago.
Old 11-04-18, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Doctor Who (BBC America) -- Series 11 Discussion Thread -- Premieres 10/07/18

Tonight: The Tsuranga Conundrum

Old 11-04-18, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I thought this episode was best of the lot so far. Nice puzzle, new setting, and some fresh faces. The entire episode came together amazingly well too given how many characters had to be juggled. The exchange between the General and the Doctor was pretty funny comparing size of written content. A,azingly, the pregnant guy story worked and didn’t detract too much.

I really loved Axos in the short amount of time we had with him. I’d have liked to have seen more of him. Could have been a great companion!

Side note: I thought I recognized the guy playing the General’s brother. Turns out I did. Ben Bailey Smith is a U.K. actor/comedian/rapper. If you have the chance check out some of his standup clips on YT.
Old 11-05-18, 03:09 AM

This was better than the last episode. The Doctor had a lot more screen time even though she spent most of it without the companions. I still don’t know about this ensemble approach to the show. It’s like they wrote a subplot for Graham and Ryan so they would have something to do.
Old 11-05-18, 02:40 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm just not feeling it like other seasons. I like Jodie well enough, but I’m having a hard time getting into the stories. Still waiting for it to grab me....
Old 11-05-18, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Yeah, this season is terrible.

I’m not feeling Whittaker as the Doctor. She comes off to meek, almost like a grade school teacher or something. The Doctor is someone who walks into a room and immediately becomes the center of attention. Whittaker just sorts blends in with the scenery.

And it doesn’t help that she’s saddled with three companions, who are all sort of wishy-washy to begin with. They’re all good-natured and earnest, and are just sort of dull to watch. At least the Fifth Doctor had a whiny brat and a neurotic flight attendant in his over-stuffed crew.

And the stories have all been c-level crap like “Love & Monsters” or “The Idiot’s Lantern.” The strongest one was probably “Rosa,” but that was sort of awkward and uncomfortable to watch, and the Doctor was presented as so passive that I was embarassed for her. If that guy had bitch-slapped Ryan in front of Capaldi, he would have made him piss himself with one look.
Old 11-06-18, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

This last episode was just a bit better, and as a whole, I am fine with actors and characters they portray. To me, the main problem is the scripts. Mediocre to terrible story telling is pretty much the worst thing they could do to Doctor Who at this point in its run.
Old 11-06-18, 03:40 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Better I guess. Wish they'd concentrate on a better script rather than all the crappy effects.
Old 11-11-18, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tonight: Demons Of The Punjab

Old 11-11-18, 08:10 PM

Damn! This last episode was personal (meaning I'm biased) so I thought it was fantastic. Potent, heartbreaking, and fantastic. They might have retreaded Rose's father's episode but framing it in a historically tragic and largely forgotten (in the West) period was powerful.
Old 11-11-18, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Yeah I'm officially done with this show. Dropping it. This season is by far the worst season since the 2005 reboot.
Old 11-11-18, 11:02 PM
Banned

Interesting but kind of bland.
Old 11-12-18, 11:06 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Neither the Doctor nor the aliens really had anything to do with this episode.
Old 11-12-18, 11:15 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Liked the episode - brought a small tear to my eyes + made me interested in looking up more information about the Partition. Felt they handled history in this episode better than “Rosa” which went overboard on the date/name drops.

I finally did see what others were saying with the “too many companions” aspect starting with “Rosa”. Having 3 companions while introducing a new Doctor kinda short changes them all. Hoping it sorts itself out over time.

I’m a long term fan since the 4th Doctor, so sticking with it. Haven’t seen anything (in this season or any other season) to cause me to rage quit, so still enjoying it!
Old 11-12-18, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was OK, but still not great. At times it felt like a History Channel docu. I hope this doesn't become the trend of the show, browbeating us about the plight of oppressed people.

The only really interesting part was the idea of having to let someone die to preserve the future. It was a much weaker version of City on the Edge of Forever in that regard.

The aliens were a complete waste. They offered no real conflict, and ended up being an overly-emotional red herring.
Old 11-12-18, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I appreciated the history lesson of the story but overall... it was dull. Just dull.

They didn't even need the aliens outside to stretching the story out a bit. Once the Doctor discovered their "secret," they completely dropped from the story. I think I would have preferred the story more if it was a purely historical story. No sci-fi elements (outside of time travel to get there).
Old 11-12-18, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I enjoyed the episode, but more as a historical fiction. Not really sure anything about it was a Dr Who episode. Half the plot was around the aliens. Of course they were introduced as some old race on par with Time Lords, but then that was all shelved.

Also, did I miss something? Her husband was the one who died or no? Seemed like the guy moved his gun and pointed it at the younger brother.

I was also super puzzled that the grandmother didn’t let on that she remembered what happened and had been waiting to talk to her about it. Maybe it was the same reason Marty’s parents never said anything in BTTF?
Old 11-12-18, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
I was also super puzzled that the grandmother didn’t let on that she remembered what happened and had been waiting to talk to her about it. Maybe it was the same reason Marty’s parents never said anything in BTTF?
That was 68 years ago. Her memory would be a little fuzzy, plus she probably thinks it mere coincidence that the woman she met looks like her granddaughter. That in itself is absurd. Given the timeline, Yaz should be her great granddaughter.
Old 11-14-18, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
It was OK, but still not great. At times it felt like a History Channel docu. I hope this doesn't become the trend of the show, browbeating us about the plight of oppressed people.

The only really interesting part was the idea of having to let someone die to preserve the future. It was a much weaker version of City on the Edge of Forever in that regard.

The aliens were a complete waste. They offered no real conflict, and ended up being an overly-emotional red herring.
This is my feeling the past couple of weeks. The Doctor series has always addressed social/political issues, but this season seems like that is the show runner's primary goal and an interesting characters or series is not in their goals.
Old 11-14-18, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh did Supergirl's show runners move to England?
Old 11-18-18, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tonight: Kerblam!

Old 11-19-18, 02:25 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

KerB!am is starting off as an old fashioned Tenant/Smith style episode. Inter-galactic Amazon, psychic paper, a fez - I’m enjoying it. Hope I feel this way about it when it’s over.
Old 11-19-18, 07:42 PM
Banned

You liked that? I hated it- another poor allegory- We get it, Amazon is a huge soulless company and people are just cogs in the machine. Machines are taking jobs away from people, etc, etc.

I fail to see what the whole point of that episode was, terrorism works? The terrorist got what he wanted- he killed a lot of people and Kerblam! ultimately became a mostly human staffed company.

Last edited by Eric F; 11-19-18 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-20-18, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don’t understand this Doctor at all. We’re at least 5 episodes in and she’s running around still clueless as to her personality. There are a few lines that made me feel like she’s still going through a regeneration process.

Also - and this has happened several weeks in a row - we get the following:
- Somebody does or says something the Dr doesn’t like
- The Dr tells them they better not or she’ll be cross and they won’t like her when she’s cross
- They proceed to do something
- Dr does nothing

I’m just confused and a good bit disappointed so far. Currently, if any of these were ona rerun I’d just skip past them.
Old 11-20-18, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Why is the Tardis still messing up or getting lost?

How did the robot get inside? She allowed it to happen?

So far every episode appears to be commentary on something in the world.

I enjoyed parts of it. However they are still having The Doctor not know things a bit too much.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.