Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Purge (USA) -- Based on the movie series -- Premieres 9/4/18

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-18, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 448 Likes on 308 Posts
re: The Purge (USA) -- Based on the movie series -- Premieres 9/4/18

Finished up last night... I enjoyed it and glad to see it was renewed.
Old 11-15-18, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 818 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
The problem is that "The Purge" has always been a half-baked concept. It's never been explained very well and it doesn't make a lot of sense, in terms of how it works. The movies have never really tried to provide a plausible explanation (and I've seen all the films) of how this would be sold to the public in the real world, and how the nation would survive a "Purge Night" even once.
Which is why I have never thought much of the movies and this series wasn't much better in that regard. If anything, the scenarios in the show were even more ridiculous.

I did watch the entire season, but only by quickly skimming through its back half. The only interesting storylines for me were the pregnant couple in a love triangle and the fall-out. It's not a show I would recommend unless you love the movies.

Trying to turn the Purge into an ensemble drama was more than the showrunners could handle.

If you don't enjoy the Purge premise, there is nothing the show does that will change your mind.
Old 11-15-18, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,959 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveCole
I would like to see a Purge: The Next Day, where we get to see how people deal with each other when their neighbor tried unsuccessfully to kill them during the Purge.
We see that a little in the last episode, where the veteran purgers were like "well, the bell rung, guess I'll kill you next year." It even kind of points out the absurdity of that. I'm not sure this was in any of the movies but it even shows people doing it just to climb up the corporate ladder and how that's just accepted, except by "normal" people.

I haven't watched any Purge films but watched this series. It did take a left turn but I'm sure it was planned, it's not like they were changing things at the last minute on such a short series. I think they did a decent enough job of explaining the different politics behind the Purge and such, so in that respect I think it worked well, even if there were times it just dragged on.

I did like how just insane Tergesan's Trumpian character was, and his reasoning for going after the sister.
Old 07-23-19, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,661 Likes on 2,629 Posts

Season 2 promo. Premieres this Fall

For those curious, it's a new cast

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/61O5BcqB3VI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-23-19, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 448 Likes on 308 Posts

Enjoyed the first season and looking forward to this one. I assumed it would be a different cast.
Old 10-15-19, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk God

The Purge (USA) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 10/15/19

Based on the hit movie franchise, THE PURGE revolves around a 12-hour period when all crime, including murder, is legal. Season 2 explores how a single Purge night affects the lives of four interconnected characters over the course of the ensuing year, all inevitably leading up to the next Purge. Premiering this fall on USA Network, the second season of the anthology series opens on Purge night but dives deeper than ever before in to what the Purge world looks like the other 364 days of the year. THE PURGE Season 2 is executive produced by the film franchise creator James DeMonaco, who executive produces along with his partner for Man in a Tree, Sébastien K. Lemercier; Krystal Houghton Ziv, James Roland, Tim Andrew, and Jason Blum. Additionally, Michael Bay, Brad Fuller and Andrew Form, from the film franchise, serve as executive producers under the Platinum Dunes banner, as does Thomas Kelly. The series is a co-production between Blumhouse Television and UCP (Universal Content Productions).

10 episodes. New cast and new story. You don't need to have seen season 1 if you checked out on it.

Season 1 is on Hulu
Old 10-15-19, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 193 Posts
Re: The Purge (USA) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 10/15/19

I hadn't intended to watch Season Two, but I've always wanted them to show what would happen the rest of the year if Purge Night were actually a thing. The premise makes no sense other than to set up an Exploitation movie, and yet they're so self-serious in their approach, -I really want to see what they're bringing to the table this time.

Last edited by DWilson; 10-15-19 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-15-19, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I totally missed S1.
However, I'll try S2 (love the movies).
Old 10-16-19, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk God

I enjoyed the premiere. It actually felt somewhat like a Purge movie. There was actually a sense of threat with these people. I loved the Frat going crazy. Maybe he will target his buddy who bailed on him?

I'm curious to see where they take this now that Purge night is over. It looked like one of them was actually targeted for murder.

and my DVR caught a spoof 10 minute morning talk show about the Post-Purge that aired at 7am ET. It was kind of amusing. Very over the top and a little campy, but entertaining.
Old 12-10-19, 04:02 PM

Received 4,601 Likes on 3,118 Posts

Six-and-a-half years after Ethan Hawke starred in the Blumhouse hit The Purge he will return to the film’s dark, dystopian mythology via the namesake USA series. The episode airs December 17 at 9/8C .

Hawke will revives the role of security system salesman James Sandin in the cold open of “7:01 A.M.,” the Season 2 finale of USA’s The Purge. The flashback scene takes the story back to one week before the first national Purge Night, the annual amnesty day that allows citizens to kill and victimize others for 12 hours without fear of prosecution.
https://deadline.com/2019/12/first-l...NMgX5g6G-yj_qo
Old 04-16-20, 04:13 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: The Purge (USA) -- Based on the movie series -- Premieres 9/4/18

I'm binge watching Season 2. 6 episodes in

It's really good. Set inbetween purges which is something different. Good characters (hot chick from Bad boys for life and Mac from the Unit) and good stories

Old 10-17-20, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,193 Likes on 919 Posts
Re: The Purge (USA) -- Based on the movie series -- Premieres 9/4/18

The second season is finally on HULU. It was not available outside paying for the rental or digital purchase. Ironically, I hate the films, but thought season 1 was ok.