TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

James Clavell's Shogun - Limited Series (FX) - premieres 2/27/24

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-18, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
James Clavell's Shogun - Limited Series (FX) - premieres 2/27/24

http://ew.com/tv/2018/08/03/fx-shogun/

FX just ordered a project that it’s calling its largest production to date: An adaptation of James Clavell’s epic best-selling novel Shōgun.

The production team includes Tim Van Patten (Sopranos and the Game of Thrones pilot) who will direct multiple episodes, Eugene Kelly (Westworld) and Ronan Bennett (Public Enemies) who will write the series, and producers Andrew Macdonald, Allon Reich, Michael De Luca, and Michaela Clavell.

“The story of Shōgun has captivated audiences since James Clavell first released his epic novel more than 40 years ago,” said FX chief John Landgraf, who announced the order at the Television Critics Assn. press tour in Beverly Hills on Friday. “The themes of an outsider encountering a new culture are as relevant today.”

Shōgun, set in feudal Japan, “charts the collision of two ambitious men from different worlds and a mysterious female samurai: John Blackthorne, a risk-taking English sailor who ends up shipwrecked in Japan, a land whose unfamiliar culture will ultimately redefine him; Lord Toranaga, a shrewd, powerful daimyo, at odds with his own dangerous, political rivals; and Lady Mariko, a woman with invaluable skills but dishonorable family ties, who must prove her value and allegiance.”

The miniseries will consist of 10 episodes. The novel Shōgun was published in 1975 and has since sold 30 million copies worldwide. There’s no cast or release date yet.

The project is bound to attract close scrutiny as Hollywood productions set in Asian cultures have drawn plenty of criticism in recent years for their hiring decisions and storylines.

At the Television Critics Association’s press tour in Beverly Hills on Friday, FX chief John Landgraf assured that this new version will be rather different than the 1980 miniseries starring Richard Chamberlain which primarily focused on the perspective of its white male lead.

“It’s really told from multiple points of view, not just the singular western white male point of view,” Landgraf said. “It’s told from many Japanese points of view. I’m learning and understanding things about feudal Japanese culture and religion that I never knew before. We’re casting wonderful Japanese actors. If you exotics or fetishize Japanese cultures through the male gaze [that would be a problem], but I believe there’s an opportunity to tell the story of two cultures in a way that wasn’t done before.”

I don't mind this. The original miniseries is 38 years old and I don't think many have seen it. Unless you're in your late 40's and above, you probably have never seen the original miniseries when it aired. I was only 7 when it aired. With the money and technology available now, I think they could create something really cool here. Plus, I've always wanted to see a series now in 2018 take on feudal Japan.
Old 08-03-18, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
re: James Clavell's Shogun - Limited Series (FX) - premieres 2/27/24

Loved the book, and I didn't even know there was a prior series. Exciting.
Old 08-03-18, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Plus, I've always wanted to see a series now in 2018 take on feudal Japan.

You already have.
Old 08-03-18, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk God

I have, but that wasn't real.
Old 08-03-18, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

The original mini series was pretty brutal for its time, can only imagine how this one is going to be. Can't wait.
Old 08-03-18, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Who would portray Anjin-san?
Old 08-03-18, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

The Original series was really good for its time.

The Blu-ray is worth a purchase.
Old 08-03-18, 10:01 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I read that book over and over in middle school, loved the miniseries. I'd love a well-done remake.
Old 08-04-18, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I'll love to see how they attempt to "diversify" feudal Japan in the cast.
Old 08-04-18, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I'll love to see how they attempt to "diversify" feudal Japan in the cast.
Spoiler:
The star will be white.
Old 08-05-18, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

As long as they bring back those bad ass Ninjas I'm there.
Old 02-05-19, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk God

https://deadline.com/2019/02/shogun-...ns-1202549655/

Production delayed to work on scripts and filming logistics.

This will film in the U.K. and Japan.
Old 02-05-19, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shogun AGAIN?!?
Oh for fuck's sakes...
Old 02-05-19, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by melasnus
Shogun AGAIN?!?
Oh for fuck's sakes...
This news is almost a year old. I just updated it with the production delay news.

And the original Shogun miniseries is almost 40 years old and quite dated by today’s standards. I said it last year in this thread, but an update with improved technology and better sets, filming with HD cameras and such will be good IMO.

Most under 40 probably haven’t even seen or heard of the original miniseries.
Old 02-05-19, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Younger people probably don't realize how big a deal Shogun was when it first aired. The late 70s and 80s had all these huge television mini-series with real movie stars involved. In some ways, they were more prominent than almost any theatrical movie because everyone watched the same three tv channels.
Old 02-05-19, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

"Build another ship and build another life, my love."
Old 01-23-20, 12:07 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

A year ago, Shōgun was deep into pre-production, with several actors cast and production start date fast approaching, when FX put the limited series on hold. Last spring, Counterpart creator Justin Marks was brought on as writer and executive producer. Now, several months later, the series, based on James Clavell’s best-selling novel, is back on track and setting up a shoot in Japan with one major obstacle in sight — the Summer Olympics.

“It’s a big re-adaptation in a sense that we had many scripts and were in pre-production, and we ended up for various reasons deciding that we didn’t believe in the production plan and we didn’t think the scripts in their current form were as good as they could be,” FX Networks Chairman John Landgraf told Deadline during TCA earlier this month. “The writer (Ronan Bennett) was no longer available to keep working on those scripts, so we took it down to the studs, we started from scratch. Now are well into development, and are really excited about the scripts that are coming out of that. We have read multiple scripts, multiple rewrites of scripts, multiple outlines.”

Both Landgraf and FX entertainment president Eric Schier praised Marks, saying that he “is doing a really good job.”

Jungle Book scribe Justin wrote the first two episodes of the new incarnation of Shōgun with supervising producer (and wife) Rachel Kondo, who is of Japanese descent. The series’ writing team also includes co-executive producer Shannon Goss, consulting producer Matt Lambert, script editor Maegan Houang and staff writer Emily Yoshida. FX had been employing cultural consultants to help with the scripts.

“A very part of what is challenging about it from a production standpoint is, you could do a very westernized version of Shōgun in the past, and now you have to make it really authentic,” Landgraf said. “And it’s really challenging shooting in Japan because it’s a very different production culture than American culture, and this is a big, big production. It’s not just getting great scripts, which we do but coming up with a production plan is really challenging.”

The production process in Japan requires completed scripts much earlier than in other countries, which is not done for vetting or political approval, Landgraf said.

“It’s more that there is a sense of ownership each of the crafts people has, that they are not the same kind of freelance work-for-hire people that are available in England and the U.S,” he said. “And if you want first class work out of them, you can’t say ‘here, come do this’. You have to engage them as makers and crafts people in their area, and they have to have time to digest, think, plan.”

There is another big factor complicating plans for filming Japan in the coming months.

“We are actively exploring production options, and there is also the fact that if you want to shoot in jJapan, you can’t shoot in Japan this summer during the Olympics,” Schier said. “But we are exploring it and it’s something we are really excited about.”

Japan’s Tokyo is host of the 2020 Summer Olympics, which take place from July 24-August 9.

FX has previously billed the 10-episode series as its largest international scale production, with filming in the U.K. and Japan.

Marks serves as an executive producer of the series with Andrew Macdonald and Allon Reich of DNA TV, Michael De Luca, Michaela Clavell and Tim Van Patten who all had been on board since Shōgun initially received a green light by FX in August 2018. There is no production start date set yet.

Set in feudal Japan, Shōgun charts the collision of two ambitious men from different worlds and a mysterious female samurai: John Blackthorne, a risk-taking English sailor who ends up shipwrecked in Japan, a land whose unfamiliar culture will ultimately redefine him; Lord Toranaga, a shrewd, powerful daimyo, at odds with his own dangerous, political rivals; and Lady Mariko, a woman with invaluable skills but dishonorable family ties, who must prove her value and allegiance.

The 1980s adaptation, starring Richard Chamberlain, won the Emmy for best limited series.
https://deadline.com/2020/01/shogun-...fx-1202832301/
Old 01-23-20, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I had a lazy social studies teacher in 7th grade who would tape TV miniseries and show them to his classes so he wouldn't have to do shit for weeks. I remember Shogun was one of the shows we watched -- the bath tub scene was pretty memorable.
Old 01-23-20, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Of the prior version, I remember it mostly as a clash of wills between Richard Chamberlain and Toshiro Mifune. The female lead was more or less an unknown at the time. And I remember it being exceptional, but the narrative petered out with no real ending.
Old 12-10-20, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk God

FX just confirmed today that this is indeed coming soon.

The following users liked this post:
BDB (12-10-20)
Old 08-02-22, 04:44 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Shōgun, FX’s limited series based on James Clavell’s bestselling novel, wrapped production in June, and will air in 2023.

Landgraf said, “We wrapped physical production on the limited series Shōgun in June, which was by far our biggest and most ambitious production ever. We still have a long process of post-production ahead of us but the show looks fantastic and will debut later next year.”

The series stars Hiroyuki Sanada, Cosmo Jarvis and Anna Sawai.

Written by Justin Marks and Rachel Kondo, Shōgun is set in feudal Japan. It charts the collision of two ambitious men from different worlds and a mysterious female samurai: John Blackthorne (Jarvis), a risk-taking English pilot major who ends up shipwrecked in Japan, a land whose unfamiliar culture will ultimately redefine him; Lord Toranaga (Sanada), a shrewd, powerful daimyo, at odds with his own dangerous, political rivals; and Lady Mariko (Sawai), a woman with invaluable skills but dishonorable family ties who must prove her value and allegiance.

Counterpart creator Marks wrote the FX adaptation with his wife, Kondo, who is of Japanese descent. Marks executive produces with late author Clavell’s daughter, Michaela Clavell. Kondo co-executive produces. Shōgun is produced by FX Productions.

FX greenlighted Shōgun in summer 2018. Several months later, as the series was in active pre-production, the network put the project on hold.
https://deadline.com/2022/08/fx-give...ca-1235083740/
story (08-02-22)
Old 08-02-22, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm glad to hear that this was actually shot and is just waiting for an airdate in 2023. I've been really excited about this since it was 1st announced. The 1980 miniseries was good for it's time, but this could use an update, especially with new and improved cameras and such.
story (08-02-22)
Old 08-02-22, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,130 Posts

Shogun was the 1st time they showed someone peeing on Network tv. 👍🏿
story (11-02-23)
Old 08-02-22, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk God

I posted a thread about this, but I guess most of you missed it or the name didn't ring a bell.

https://comicbook.com/irl/news/yoko-...-dies-dead-69/

Yoko Shimada, who played the female lead in the original 1980 miniseries, died of cancer recently. She was 69.
Old 08-03-22, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts

I saw the original series when it first aired, but don't remember much about it (I was just a kid at the time). I read the novel around 20 years ago and really enjoyed it, so I'm up for a new TV adaptation.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.