James Clavell's Shogun - Limited Series (FX) - premieres 2/27/24

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

James Clavell's Shogun - Limited Series (FX) - premieres 2/27/24

Old 04-24-24, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,749 Posts
Re: James Clavell's Shogun - Limited Series (FX) - premieres 2/27/24

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Just binged it and it was good. It's totally set for a S2 but since it's a limited series, I guess this is all we will get. I get the final shot, but that was anti-climatic as hell.
There is no source material to continue the story. It would have to be completely new material and the writers/showrunners of Shogun don't have any inclination to do it.

I'd rather see FX possibly take a stab at Gaijin, Tai-pan or Noble House that Clavell also wrote.
The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
B.A. (04-30-24), bluesix (04-24-24)
Old 04-24-24, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 213 Posts

To me the story was always over when Toranaga got what he wanted and Blackthorne was never leaving. The latter is more hauntingly presented in the original mini series with Orson Welles coldly delivering the information. The book also does so well, with Toranaga's monologue.
Old 04-29-24, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Shogun series on (FX) Season 1 - 2024

The link below is from the site and gives excellent background on the characters and background of the story

FX Network Shogun

I just finished watching the last episode over the weekend and have to say this a a very compelling story, with amazing acting, and really kept my interest over this 10 part series. I have never seen the Shogun movie, but from what I have read this version is more historically accurate to what the European influence on that region was for that time period. It had a real Game of Thrones (early seasons) feeling to this series - and was not afraid to go places with the characters and story telling.

It has a 99% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes and was one of the highest rated TV shows on one of the streaming platforms I use, and the online critics really liked it as well.

You can stream on Hulu, or from other service providers - well worth the watch IMHO.

Last edited by CPA-ESQ.; 04-29-24 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-29-24, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk God

For anyone who might be interested. There is a Multi-part "Making of Shogun" documentary from the FX YouTube channel. I saved all the episodes to a YouTube playlist that I made and made it public. The most recent part was dropped 3 days ago.

It's easier than searching for the clips yourself. So if you're interested in watching, here is the playlist: Hulu was posting them, but they haven't updated their Shogun BTS page much.

Edit: Added the 8th episode from today.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...AJ6r3lbf6uxGvG

Last edited by DJariya; 04-30-24 at 08:59 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by DJariya:
B.A. (04-30-24), Cellar Door (04-29-24), Dan (04-29-24)
Old 04-29-24, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 517 Likes on 361 Posts

I thought the whole show was really well done and some of the best TV in years.
The following users liked this post:
B.A. (04-30-24)
Old 04-29-24, 02:47 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 883 Posts

Agreed. I really hope it gets a physical release, but I imagine that can be hit or miss with Hulu/Disney/FX. 4K would be worth it, even.
Old 04-29-24, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Shogun and Tokyo Vice were some of the best TV this year. I realize watching television with subtitles doesn't appeal to some people, but you're really missing out if you haven't watched either.
Dan (04-29-24)
Old 04-29-24, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They did offer the dubbed version but the subtitled version is the only way to go. Plus the subtitles makes you not drift off on your phone.
Old 04-30-24, 12:49 AM

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
For anyone who might be interested. There is a Multi-part "Making of Shogun" documentary from the FX YouTube channel. I saved all the episodes to a YouTube playlist that I made and made it public. The most recent part was dropped 3 days ago.

It's easier than searching for the clips yourself. So if you're interested in watching, here is the playlist: Hulu was posting them, but they haven't updated their Shogun BTS page much.

Isn't it sad that the past few years since DVDs and physical media have declined in popularity we no longer have access to these type of 'extras' that would routinely just be included on the disk with the movie when we bought them. Future generations won't even know the bonanza of extra material that was once produced. Now we are left hoping that we might get thrown a bone on Youtube or a promotional website.

I guess you could argue that these features were never that important to fans and since nobody has made much protest they won't be missed. But it seems as less stuff is available to buy and we switch more and more to streaming only that we are paying more for getting less.
Old 05-01-24, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 357 Likes on 240 Posts

I just binged the series and it was exceptional. Easily one of the best limited series I've ever watched - it fired on all cylinders (acting, directing, cinematography, mise-en-scene, etc). Sawai gives one of the best performances on a TV production that I've ever seen and her character is the true heart of the story. If this somehow gets released on UHD, I'll buy it no question.
Old 05-01-24, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,533 Likes on 4,470 Posts

There's some question as to whether the show will compete in Dramatic or Limited Series categories for the Emmys. There are explicit rules about why series might be barred from the Limited Series category (like The White Lotus Season 2 because one character carried over), but I don't think there are any rules precluding a Limited dramatic Series from competing in Best Dramatic Series category (famously, the first season of True Detective competed in Dramatic Series). There is some thinking that without Succession or Better Call Saul (or Last of Us or House of the Dragon competing), the Dramatic categories are wide open for 2024.
It doesn't mean there would be a Season 2, but the show runners haven't ruled it out entirely either, per their post-finale interviews.
Old 05-02-24, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kefrank
I just binged the series and it was exceptional. Easily one of the best limited series I've ever watched - it fired on all cylinders (acting, directing, cinematography, mise-en-scene, etc). Sawai gives one of the best performances on a TV production that I've ever seen and her character is the true heart of the story. If this somehow gets released on UHD, I'll buy it no question.
Disney did just release several Star Wars shows on physical UHD so there is hope.
Old 05-02-24, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 411 Likes on 326 Posts

Finished up last night and it was an amazing series --- beautifully shot and acted.

Two things... how did Blackthorne have Mariko's necklace as he lay on his death bed when we saw him throw it into the ocean harbor? Also, why was Toranaga so hell-bent on keeping Blackthorne in Japan? To run his navy?

I can appreciate that no real war broke out but I also question Toranaga's strategy that Lady Ochiba would definitely side with Toranaga after Mariko's death. This is a minor gripe as I never expected a full blown battle -- especially one that Toranaga had a chance in hell of winning.
Old 05-02-24, 08:34 AM

1) It wasn't super-clear, but the Blackthorn in England was an imagined future John was having, then letting go of. It was supposed to be clear that it was not to be when he dropped Mariko's rosary into the lake, that he would never actually get to leave, but it wasn't totally obvious.
2) Toranaga, in the book, apparently confides to the reader that he wants to keep Blackthorn around as his friend. He didn't have anyone else around who makes him laugh. But I guess the Toranaga in the book was more brutal and less appealing than the show one.
Old 05-02-24, 08:37 AM

Pretty good ending explaining article from Slate, with the show runners
https://slate.com/culture/2024/04/sh...mariko-fx.html
Rob V (05-02-24)
Old 05-02-24, 08:51 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 283 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
2) Toranaga, in the book, apparently confides to the reader that he wants to keep Blackthorn around as his friend. He didn't have anyone else around who makes him laugh. But I guess the Toranaga in the book was more brutal and less appealing than the show one.
That's part of it, but also Mariko made a deal with the church to spare his life as long as he doesn't leave so Toranaga burns the ship to keep him on the island.
Old 05-02-24, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by MrX
That's part of it, but also Mariko made a deal with the church to spare his life as long as he doesn't leave so Toranaga burns the ship to keep him on the island.
I think the deal with the church was to ensure his survival, not contingent upon him being kept in Japan against his will. At least per everything I've seen and the interviews done post finale.
It's John's perception that the Erasmus was burned by the Catholics as part of Mariko's deal with the church to ensure his survival, but it was actually Toranaga who burned it because he wanted John to stay, not as a result of any deal with Mariko (she was in no position to strike a deal with her lord -- she would do anything he commanded of her).

Last edited by Decker; 05-02-24 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-02-24, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 411 Likes on 326 Posts

A flash forward / dream idea is not something I considered at all. I think a look at Blackthorne's life in Japan / Edu would be pretty cool but not worthy of any sort of sequel.
Old 05-02-24, 06:42 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 283 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I think the deal with the church was to ensure his survival, not contingent upon him being kept in Japan against his will. At least per everything I've seen and the interviews done post finale.
It's John's perception that the Erasmus was burned by the Catholics as part of Mariko's deal with the church to ensure his survival, but it was actually Toranaga who burned it because he wanted John to stay, not as a result of any deal with Mariko (she was in no position to strike a deal with her lord -- she would do anything he commanded of her).
The TV show and the book are blending together in my brain, but I remember the church didnít want Blackthorne leaving because 1) They didnít want him taking over the Blackship 2) They didnít want him showing the English a way to Japan and creating trade competition.

Old 05-02-24, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 357 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
The TV show and the book are blending together in my brain, but I remember the church didnít want Blackthorne leaving because 1) They didnít want him taking over the Blackship 2) They didnít want him showing the English a way to Japan and creating trade competition.
Iíve never read the book but what Decker described is exactly how the show portrayed it.
Old 05-03-24, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good article on the VFX for the show.

https://arstechnica.com/culture/2024...to-vivid-life/
Old 05-03-24, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

For anyone who might be interested. There is a Multi-part "Making of Shogun" documentary from the FX YouTube channel. I saved all the episodes to a YouTube playlist that I made and made it public.

Thanks DJariya
Old 05-03-24, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 69 Posts

Edit: Added the 8th episode from today.

Thanks for this! Been meaning to watch these
Old 05-10-24, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Looks like there might be a second season. FX signed Sanada to return if there is one.

HN (05-10-24)
Old 05-10-24, 05:38 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Banzai! Banzai!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.