Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The First (Hulu) S: Sean Penn, Natascha McElhone, C: Willimon -- premieres 9/14/18

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The First (Hulu) S: Sean Penn, Natascha McElhone, C: Willimon -- premieres 9/14/18

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-18, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Sean Penn leads an ensemble cast in this near-future drama about a crew of astronauts attempting to become the first humans on Mars. Under the direction of visionary aerospace magnate Laz Ingram (Natascha McElhone), the crew contends with peril and personal sacrifice as they undertake the greatest pioneering feat in human history.
Old 07-24-18, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
re: The First (Hulu) S: Sean Penn, Natascha McElhone, C: Willimon -- premieres 9/14/18

FYI, This is the show that Natascha McElhone accepted which led her to leaving Designated Survivor.

Premieres September 14th.
Old 09-05-18, 02:32 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts
Re: The First (Hulu) S: Sean Penn, Natascha McElhone, C: Willimon -- premieres 9/14/1

<iframe width="649" height="365" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ngl2W_VLp1o" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-14-18, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: The First (Hulu) S: Sean Penn, Natascha McElhone, C: Willimon -- premieres 9/14/1

This is now live. It's pretty good but I've only watched the first episode.
Old 09-15-18, 12:56 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I like anything about Mars exploration. Eventually I'll get around to checking it out.

Hopefully it's one of the shows Hulu is offering in surround sound.
Old 09-15-18, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
I like anything about Mars exploration. Eventually I'll get around to checking it out.

It is and it's the full season. Hulu has been fucking around with that weekly episode bullshit, but they released the entire season of this. Good.
Old 09-15-18, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like anything about Mars exploration.
3 episodes in (of 8) and it hasn't been about that in the way one might expect. They haven't yet left the Earth's atmosphere and my feeling (however wrong it might prove to be as future episodes unfold) is that they won't by the end of the season.

I'm glad some are enjoying it, but it's a letdown for me. MARS was a better exploration show, and I would not have thought I'd be saying this, but so far Lost In Space was a more enjoyable as a SciFi show.

At this point, I know more about an astronaut's druggie daughter than I do about the Mars mission. I'm all for fully fleshed characters, but this isn't that. Rather, it's an indication that the type of show I somehow went into this expecting is very different from the type of show it actually is (at least so far).

The most interesting thing I've seen so far is Sean Penn's HGH injections* are working, which we know because this team commander astronaut who has been to the moon is constantly running around with his shirt off.

*I have no proof that Sean Penn takes HGH injections, but consider his age, look at his physique, and make up your own mind
Old 09-15-18, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC

*I have no proof that Sean Penn takes HGH injections, but consider his age, look at his physique, and make up your own mind
A reasonable assumption.
We know SP is not a stickler for great personal health...
Old 09-15-18, 05:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MikahC
3 episodes in (of 8) and it hasn't been about that in the way one might expect. They haven't yet left the Earth's atmosphere and my feeling (however wrong it might prove to be as future episodes unfold) is that they won't by the end of the season.

I'm glad some are enjoying it, but it's a letdown for me. MARS was a better exploration show, and I would not have thought I'd be saying this, but so far Lost In Space was a more enjoyable as a SciFi show.

At this point, I know more about an astronaut's druggie daughter than I do about the Mars mission. I'm all for fully fleshed characters, but this isn't that. Rather, it's an indication that the type of show I somehow went into this expecting is very different from the type of show it actually is (at least so far).

The most interesting thing I've seen so far is Sean Penn's HGH injections* are working, which we know because this team commander astronaut who has been to the moon is constantly running around with his shirt off.

So the show is more about human interest than science? If that's the case I'm going to pass.
Old 09-15-18, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the show is more about human interest than science? If that's the case I'm going to pass.
So far (6 episodes complete), it's not directly about science or space exploration. Those things are basically backdrops to a drama, and the drama is just OK.

Spoiler:
It's about an astronaut (Penn) who previously went to the moon, and who is now removed as mission commander for an attempted trip to Mars because his home life is a disaster. His wife killed herself and his daughter is a druggie. Neither of them did well with having basically an absentee husband/father over the years.

Then there's a black, gay, female astronaut who lost lead position and how she feels about that. There's another female astronaut who lied to her husband about wanting to get pregnant because even though she's been removed from the mission, there's still a small chance she could go.

OK, so interspersed in all that, there are occasional bits about the mission (we see astronauts training in swimming pools both to build conditioning, and to simulate lowered gravity and lack of oxygen). We have some moments where equipment is malfunctioning and they have to figure it out to fix things. But these are nowhere near the heart of the show.

Occasionally there are title cards showing how much time is left until the next launch window. We also see government not wanting to fund it. But again, these are not where the majority of the time it spent.

To really know what this show is, I've felt since early on I'll need to finish it (which I will), then look back on it and see what it was really about in tagline-friendly form. "The human element of space exploration" ? We'll see. But I did want to post a warning to those who may have had similar expectations to my own. It's not horrible for what it is. It just isn't what I thought it'd be.
Old 09-15-18, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Premise sounded cool, then I read mikah's "6 episodes in" spoiler. Sounds more like network TV fodder(Terra Nova is coming to mind) than Hulu/Netflix/Amazon quality.
Old 09-18-18, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

When did they start offering more then 2channel stereo?
Old 09-18-18, 12:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by whotony
When did they start offering more then 2channel stereo?
https://help.hulu.com/en-us/surround-sound

A while ago. I assume it will be available on more platforms eventually.

They even had 4k for a while and then dropped it. I'm hoping they go back to it after they roll out surround sound completely.
Old 10-04-18, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

Wife and I just finished this last night. Overall it was pretty decent but not exactly what I would have expected as it mostly surrounds the drama on earth around the mission and other things described above.

There is also a very strange and as far as I can tell unexplained side story about some guy working on old pay phones that never seems to be explained and it leads to about a five extremely annoying opening in the last episode of the season.
I would / will watch another season as I like the direction the show is heading and the rest of the last episode makes up for the lead up to the season finale but this is no "Expanse" or Battlestar....
Old 10-04-18, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Gotta be honest, when i saw that Sean Penn was in this I kinda figured that would be the case or at least the case when he was on the screen.
Old 01-18-19, 06:08 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Cancelled: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...t-hulu-1177451
Old 01-19-19, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

that sucks. Now I really wish they had spent less time on earth talking about the damn trip and setting things up for next season.

i think that was the biggest sin of the show, spending all the time on earth when talking about a trip to mars then spending 5 min in space. I suppose season two would have been the damn trip in space and it wouldn't be until season 3 that they touch down on Mars and open the capsule door..
Old 01-19-19, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Really? I thought it was well done. That sucks. Waste of time.