Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Favorite CW DC pilot

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Which is your favorite pilot?
Arrow
20.00%
The Flash
73.33%
Supergirl
0%
Legends
0%
Black Lightning
6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Favorite CW DC pilot

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-18, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Favorite CW DC pilot

Recently I've been re watching the pilots of the Berlantiverse shows on Netflix and its been somewhat interesting to go through to see how they hold up.

Arrow: Holds up pretty well. It has some rough spots but it is way more faithful to Green Arrow as an urban Robin Hood type than I remembered. Its like night and day. Katie Cassidy still sticks out as woefully miscast as Laurel, and Caity Lotz not being Sara is weird. Overall though it holds up pretty well. 4/5.

The Flash: I think the first thing I noticed was how little Grant, Carlos, Danielle, Tom, and Jesse have aged and how much Candice has. But this is still a really strong pilot. It sets up the characters well, even if it feels really similar in tone to something from Spider-Man. The special effects are still good. Oliver's cameo feels a little unnecesary. Honestly this is still really, really good and if expanded could work as a movie. 4.5/5

Supergirl: This one really doesn't hold up well. Benoist is great, but a lot of the problems the show would later have are easy to see here. You realize what a useless characters Alex is and how her role could have been filled by Winn, Jimmy was WAY miscast and really sticks out, and the main villain is lame. It really suffers by not having Superman in the pilot episode. Honestly I just found it boring now. The plane scene was cool though. 2.5/5

Legends: Was kind of strange since its a two part pilot. Still though, its pretty entertaining. All the characters were already established so its easy to get into the story quicker. Rip was nowhere near as annoying yet, and Vandal Savage was still somewhat interesting. I still found it enjoyable. 4/5

Black Lightning: Since it only came out a year ago I dont have much to say but it was a pretty strong pilot that feels way different than any of the other shows. I still dig it but it needs some distance to really see how it goes. 4/5.
Old 05-29-18, 07:31 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Re: Favorite CW DC pilot

Constantine (Yes, I know it was NBC, but still...)
Old 05-30-18, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Aquaman was a really good pilot. Too bad it was never picked up as a series.
Old 05-30-18, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Of the ones listed in the poll, I'd go with Arrow.
Old 05-30-18, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I don't remember being blown away by the Legends' pilot. I never had a good feeling about their choice for Vandal Savage.

The one with the most style is clearly Black Lightning's pilot. It set the tone for the series and doesn't feel like just another CW superhero show. I'm pretty sure that pilot was written when Black Lightning was meant for Fox instead of the CW.
Old 05-30-18, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Arrow really set the bar for these super hero action shows and it was different being that it was dark and violent. I'd have to go with that one since it was essentially the show that started it all.
Old 05-30-18, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Arrow really set the bar for these super hero action shows and it was different being that it was dark and violent.
They basically stole the whole Batman mythos. The writers of the show once asked Neal Adams what he thought of the series. He didn't mince words and said they took everything he and Denny O'Neil did in the early 70's and stole it.
Old 05-30-18, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Like most I picked The Flash, there is a reason why that show was putting up numbers that were usually achieved by dramas from the big three networks for quite some time (at least I remember the numbers being crazy high for a CW show) and it all started with that great Pilot episode. I almost marked Arrow, but The Flash edged it out.

ETA: Black Lightning probably would have been third (maybe trade places with Arrow bumping it to #2...BL's pilot was rock solid) on the list while Legends and Supergirl would round out the list (I like both Legends and Supergirl but their Pilots were not the second coming of white bread).
Old 05-30-18, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

The Flash (S1) at it's best was never as good as Arrow at it's best (S1-S2) in my opinion.