The Americans (S6E06) -- "Rififi" -- 5/2/18

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-02-18, 06:52 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Rififi

606 5/2/2018 10 PM ET/PT

A sudden assignment pulls Elizabeth away from her family at a crucial moment. At the FBI, a major development leads Aderholt to approach Stan about an urgent investigation. Written by Stephen Schiff & Justin Weinberger; Directed by Kevin Bray.
Old 05-03-18, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts
Re: The Americans (S6E06) -- "Rififi" -- 5/2/18

Another great episode. All of the pieces are coming together now. That opening scene. Yikes. Henry knowing something is wrong because his mom is actually showing an interest in him. Heartbreaking. Philip gearing up for "one last mission." Those always work out, right?
Old 05-03-18, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Another great episode. All of the pieces are coming together now. That opening scene. Yikes. Henry knowing something is wrong because his mom is actually showing an interest in him. Heartbreaking. Philip gearing up for "one last mission." Those always work out, right?
Are we sure Philip is "gearing up for one last mission". He sent a message to Oleg. Maybe he is going to stop Elizabeth. Regardless their cover will be blown to Stan.

Solid espisode.
Old 05-03-18, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Are we sure Philip is "gearing up for one last mission". He sent a message to Oleg. Maybe he is going to stop Elizabeth. Regardless their cover will be blown to Stan.

Solid espisode.
I looked at it as him trying to save his wife/doomed marriage. He knew Elizabeth calling Henry was her admitting there is a chance she might not make it. I don't know if he's going to help her or if he's going to stop/extract her, but I inferred the former. Either way, he's going back out into the field, which is something he didn't want to do.
Old 05-03-18, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I looked at it as him trying to save his wife/doomed marriage. He knew Elizabeth calling Henry was her admitting there is a chance she might not make it. I don't know if he's going to help her or if he's going to stop/extract her, but I inferred the former. Either way, he's going back out into the field, which is something he didn't want to do.
Yes he does not. So maybe he buys it, putting the psycho in charge of both kids and running from the FBI
Old 05-04-18, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Another great episode that has moved the plot along as we feel like we're getting closer to and endgame, yet it still sticks by its roots of a slow burn.

Elizabeth's call to Henry was very sad as it was one big 'just in case......goodbye.' Or let me play devils advocate and did she manipulate Henry knowing he would talk about the call to Phillip?
Old 05-04-18, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This season has been incredible. This episode just flew by.

I don't want to read too much into the preview, but next week looks insane.
Old 05-08-18, 08:27 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow - last week's episode of The Americans was incredible. This show continues to amaze me re: it's unpredictability. At the beginning of this episode, Philip & Elizabeth were obviously moving apart - to the point that I actually thought they were going to end up trying to kill each other. However, by the end of the episode it's obvious they're going to be working together on the next mission. Interesting.

Elizabeth's "working" that intern by using his love of film was interesting, since I'm a huge movie fan myself - especially of older, b&w French films. And, Rififi is an old favorite

Spoiler:
It appears my theory last week was wrong, and the Kimmie storyline will not be revisited. I thought Elizabeth would be following up on this, but it doesn't look like it. Yes, maybe Kimmie will still be contacted in Europe, but offscreen.

The best line of the whole episode was before their reconciliation, when Elizabeth & Philip were arguing about her going on a trip during Thanksgiving....and she angrily said, "You can take your forum and shove it up your @$$." - LOL. Even though her loyalties are obviously with Russia, that's a very American thing to say

Last edited by TheDude; 05-08-18 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-08-18, 08:29 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDude
Elizabeth's "working" that intern by using his love of film was interesting, since I'm a huge movie fan myself - especially of older, b&w French films. And, Rififi is an old favorite
Loved that. Total film nerd fantasy. He should've went on gotten some of that pizza.
Old 05-08-18, 09:57 AM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDude
Wow - last week's episode of The Americans was incredible. This show continues to amaze me re: it's unpredictability. At the beginning of this episode, Philip & Elizabeth were obviously moving apart - to the point that I actually thought they were going to end up trying to kill each other. However, by the end of the episode it's obvious they're going to be working together on the next mission. Interesting.

Spoiler:
It appears my theory last week was wrong, and the Kimmie storyline will not be revisited. I thought Elizabeth would be following up on this, but it doesn't look like it. Yes, maybe Kimmie will still be contacted in Europe, but offscreen.

The best line of the whole episode was before their reconciliation, when Elizabeth & Philip were arguing about her going on a trip during Thanksgiving....and she angrily said, "You can take your form and shove it up your @$$." - LOL. Even though her loyalties are obviously with Russia, that's a very American thing to say
Forum, the EST extension classes he's been taking
Old 05-08-18, 10:37 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by blairwitchfan
Forum, the EST extension classes he's been taking
Thanks for the clarification; I made the correction. I actually agree with Elizabeth here; that whole self-help "EST" garage is a bunch of crap. Those "self-improvement" classes are just designed to rip people off.
Old 05-08-18, 12:52 PM

This season is outstanding. I really hope it doesn't end-up being Philip vs. Elisabeth though.
Old 05-08-18, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by Luds
This season is outstanding. I really hope it doesn't end-up being Philip vs. Elisabeth though.
Wasn't it always going to come down to that? Seems like it was to me.
Old 05-09-18, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

This show is like a constant string of consecutive gut punches, over and over. The end game is coming fast now.
Old 05-09-18, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones
Wasn't it always going to come down to that? Seems like it was to me.
I don't know that it is. There will be conflict between them but in the end I hope something changes for him or her and they manage to get out together and flee back to Russia or become happy americans.
Old 05-09-18, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Originally Posted by Luds
I don't know that it is. There will be conflict between them but in the end I hope something changes for him or her and they manage to get out together and flee back to Russia or become happy americans.
I think we are a little bit past the point where a tidy happy ending is still possible.
Old 05-09-18, 02:14 PM

There is a preview on the channel that spoils a ton of things. I recommend hitting pause if it comes on.