TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Americans (S6E03) -- "Urban Transport Planning" -- 4/11/18

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-18, 06:32 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
The Americans (S6E03) -- "Urban Transport Planning" -- 4/11/18

Urban Transport Planning

603 4/11/2018 10 PM ET/PT

In the aftermath of a disastrous operation, Philip and Elizabeth clash about how to handle things with Paige. Stan struggles to contain the growing risks of Sofia and Gennadi's fraying relationship. Written by Tracey Scott Wilson; Directed by Dan Attias.
Old 04-12-18, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts
Re: The Americans (S6E03) -- "Urban Transport Planning" -- 4/11/18

-Keri Russell better win the damn Emmy this year as she is really great this season. Her blowup towards Paige was a great scene, as it shows the good and bad of her character. She is all work and all business and that's the good in her. But she has no way to relate to people as she is so cold and that is her achilles heel on a personal level. Did you guys notice that she has killed someone in every episode this season, so something is going to go down with her as it seems like her missions are even more and more risky.

-The conversation at the Pizza Place was 100% correct about that time in sports. The Tigers were playing the Twins in ALCS, and nobody thought the Twins had a chance since they won only 85 games in the Pre-Wildcard era. The Canada Cup was played that September, as that was a great final with US losing to Canada with Gretzky and Lemieux in their prime.

-I don't know what the think of Stan's girlfriend and that request to all of the sudden join the FBI? Maybe the show is making it so obvious that she is a Russian Spy, that she isn't and we are just being played by the writers?

-My guess is that Stan finds out about Elizabeth as their paths cross in some way regarding Sophia and Gennadi.

Last edited by mcnabb; 04-13-18 at 05:54 AM.
Old 04-12-18, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another great episide. This show is really ending on a high note.
Old 04-13-18, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Motivational/Self-Help Phillip at the Travel Agency was hilarious.

Love how Elizabeth gave him one bite of the Russian stew and then dumped the rest in the disposal.
Old 04-13-18, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I wonder if the guy would have been safe if he didn't mention who his girlfriend was...
Old 04-13-18, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

I think the series ends with Phillip killing Elizabeth or vice versa.
Old 04-13-18, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Elizabeth is 3 or this this season.
Old 04-13-18, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
I wonder if the guy would have been safe if he didn't mention who his girlfriend was...
I definitely read the scene that way. She couldn't risk him talking to his girlfriend who would then be alerted to what Elizabeth asked about.
Old 04-13-18, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Motivational/Self-Help Phillip at the Travel Agency was hilarious.

Would have been great if Phillip was watching TV and saw a Tony Robbins Infommercial and then did his speech to his employees. I remember watching Tony Robbins in the late 80's and the guy could make you feel like you could do anything!
Old 04-13-18, 12:47 PM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
I think the series ends with Phillip killing Elizabeth or vice versa.
Could totally happen. Elizabeth is basically turning into a serial killer, while Phillip moves more and more the other way.

I'm somewhat surprised at how fine Paige seems to be with everything, what just happened, etc. Be curious to see where that ends up.

Every ep. has just been so great, and really can't wait for the day Stan finds out (assuming he does).
Old 04-13-18, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm guessing this ends with Elizabeth dead, which hardens Paige to the point she becomes the new Elizabeth for the next generation.
Old 04-13-18, 09:26 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Seems the three things this season has set up so far is:

Spoiler:
1. Stan discovering the secret by following Oleg, which feels unfulfilling. I want him to figure it out, just as Dexter's sister was supposed to figure it out through detective work instead of the nonsense they came up with

2. Paige will have to use sex on a target, possibly as how she loses her virginity

3. Phillip kills Elizabeth, or possibly Paige does it.

Just conjecture but spoiled anyway. Enjoying the last season.
Old 04-14-18, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I'm guessing this ends with Elizabeth dead, which hardens Paige to the point she becomes the new Elizabeth for the next generation.

I like this.
Old 04-15-18, 03:06 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Great episode.

Philip is really turning into an obnoxious prick re: his travel agency job. I've always found aggressive salespeople with their "hard sells" to be real assholes, and it actually turns me off to whatever it is they're selling. I.e., if you're offering something that someone really wants, it should sell itself & you shouldn't need to go through everything that Philip is espousing to his employees in the episode.

In any case, this has become a situation where Philip has gotten so deeply enmeshed into American society that he is starting to really "believe" his cover story - LOL.

Things are really going south re: the assignments Elizabeth has to handle. She's had to kill two people in two episodes - in a row. In the past, she & Philip may have had to kill about 2 people in an entire season. Wow.

I am still on the fence about Stan's girlfriend (Laurie Holden). Is she a Russian spy that was specifically planted to keep tabs on Stan?! If so, she's obviously unknown to Philip & Elizabeth, but that would make perfect sense since these people aren't supposed to know about each other. Or, is she to be taken at face value as a legitimate girlfriend who Stan met at the gym?! When she was introduced last season (or the season before), I always felt she was out of Stan's league, looks-wise. However, the more time goes on the more it seems like she could very well be legitimate. In any case, I wouldn't be surprised either way.

I agree that Paige will
Spoiler:
probably have to make a decision as to whether or not to go "past the point of no return" re: the espionage work she's doing with her mother - before the end of this final season. However, I'm not yet sure what that will entail - i.e., having sex with someone because of the assignment; killing someone; etc. - we'll see.
Old 04-16-18, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

IMO, I think they are setting up a scenario where Elizabeth is going to have to choose between her mission and saving/protecting Paige. They have shown that Paige is very mistake prone, yet Elizabeth keeps involving her in tricky/delicate operations. Especially with Elizabeth blowing up at her about not sticking to the plan, I think it sets up a situation of Elizabeth being in a similar situation and having to make a choice between her mission and her family.
Old 04-16-18, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDude
Great episode.

I agree that Paige will
Spoiler:
probably have to make a decision as to whether or not to go "past the point of no return" re: the espionage work she's doing with her mother - before the end of this final season. However, I'm not yet sure what that will entail - i.e., having sex with someone because of the assignment; killing someone; etc. - we'll see.
Spoiler:
This was partially answered in the "coming up in future episodes" spot at the end of the first episode. Paige is shown sleeping with a (possible) target that (apparently) leads to a conflict.
Old 04-16-18, 03:20 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
Spoiler:
This was partially answered in the "coming up in future episodes" spot at the end of the first episode. Paige is shown sleeping with a (possible) target that (apparently) leads to a conflict.
Good to know.
Spoiler:
I actually avoid those "coming attraction" clips because I want to be genuinely surprised re: future episodes.