Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Delayed viewing -- What do you use the most?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: What do you use the most for your delayed viewing?
DVR
71.15%
On demand
1.92%
Streaming service (free or paid) on a device
19.23%
Official Network websites for free with ads
0%
I don't use 1 specifically the most, I use of mix of them
7.69%
Paid a la carte episodes or seasons (from Apple, Amazon, Vudu etc.)
0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-18, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

What do you all use the most for your delayed viewing? I'm assuming that most of this forum doesn't watch any scripted content live these days.

Sorry, Kodi and Terrarium TV don't count.

For me 8-9 times out of 10, the DVR.

When I'm away from home, it will be a streaming service on my tablet.

I rarely use on demand. The download times suck on DirecTv. It can sometimes take 1 hour plus to download 1 episode depending on time of day.

I never buy a la carte episodes. Most of the time, that's only good for people with no cable or a bad antenna. It's too expensive too for current shows/seasons.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-22-18 at 12:00 AM.
Old 03-22-18, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts
Re: Delayed viewing -- What do you use the most?

The only content that we watch live is Game of Thrones through the Hulu app on Apple TV. Everything else is caught up on throughout the week. Percentage wise we probably watch 60% Hulu, 35% Netflix, and 5% Amazon.
Old 03-22-18, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

100% DVR for my weekly shows

Which also means the only thing I watch on Netflix are the movies and “Netflix original shows”. I don’t catch up on older network or cable shows on Netflix. If I didn’t care to see it when it originally aired, I have no interest in watching it at all.

Blacklist use to be the last thing I watch on my DVR each week, but I like this latest season, so I watch within 1-2 days. Walking Dead has been rotting on DVR for 2 weeks. I use to watch live, but now I’m close to dumping it. I can barely get through 5 minutes of an episode and I’m bored
Old 03-22-18, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

DVR, then streaming Network app via iPad when I'm at work/no access to DVR
Old 03-22-18, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Old school. I watch everything live on a tv with cable. If two shows conflict I'll watch one the next day using cable on demand.
Old 03-22-18, 07:38 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Poll needs a DVD/BD option.
Old 03-22-18, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I ditched DVR back when I moved in with my (now) fiance in an effort to curb spending on our cable bill. She had a free subscription to Hulu from her work and that had all the shows we watched so there was no reason to do DVR too.

Now we watch everything through Hulu or On Demand. I am considering going back to DVR now but haven't made the jump. I don't really watch enough weekly TV shows to justify it. Most of my TV watching is spent catching up on old shows now.
Old 03-22-18, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Trevor
Poll needs a DVD/BD option.
People who are hundreds, thousands of episodes behind don’t count in this poll.

Should have specified delayed viewing for watching current TV.
Old 03-22-18, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

If we're talking about shows currently airing, then it's mostly DVR. I used to watch more on demand, but Comcast got pretty erratic about which shows were available (yes, I'm sure the studios controlled that). I watch GOT on HBO Now.

I do buy some shows a la carte on video services (mostly premium cable, e.g., Homeland, Outlander), but generally not current shows because those are the most expensive, and I can watch them on cable. I also stream some on Netflix/Prime.

Don't have Hulu.
Old 03-22-18, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never watch anything but sports live anymore, and often not even that. For sports I'm getting myself used to the idea of starting to watch at a point where I can be sure I will be able to skip most commercial breaks.

Given the ease of having things recorded in the DVR, even to watch them later the same evening, why watch anything live anymore and have to deal with commercial breaks? All it takes to skip commercials is to start watching an hour long show about 20 minutes after it starts, and then watch it off the DVR.

I only use On Demand when the DVR screws up or I realize I want to watch a show after my chance of recording it has past.
Old 03-22-18, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I use my DVR for pretty much everything. If for someone I missed a recording, I will first look for it on demand. If it's not there, I might go searching for it on streaming services, but more than likely, I'll just wait.

I know DirecTV gets a lot of grief for its version of on demand. I also used to have a lot of problems with it when it was connected via wireless, but since I went with a wired connection, I very rarely if ever have any problems. Within a couple minutes of starting the download, I'm usually able to view the program without any buffering or interruptions.
Old 03-22-18, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I've never had a DVR and don't have cable or sat TV.

Hulu...Most shows
HBO GO...HBO shows
CW App...CW DC Shows. They no longer support it on the XBOX 360 but they still post their shows after they air...for now.
Netlfix...Back up source for TV seasons I missed (i.e. Arrow, Blue Bloods, and recently The Walking Dead)
AMC's site...My wife uses this on her laptop for current eps of The Walking Dead the next day or a few days after it airs.

All except AMC's site are apps watched on my XBOX 360. I usually watch the next day, or on the weekend.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-22-18 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-22-18, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

My cord was cut last year so basically whatever apps necessary to see stuff.
Old 03-22-18, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I've never had a DVR and don't have cable or sat TV.

Hulu...Most shows
HBO GO...HBO shows
CW App...CW DC Shows. They no longer support it on the XBOX 360 but they still post their shows after they air...for now.
Netlfix...Back up source for TV seasons I missed (i.e. Arrow, Blue Bloods, and recently The Walking Dead)
AMC's site...My wife uses this on her laptop for current eps of The Walking Dead the next day or a few days after it airs.

All except AMC's site are apps watched on my XBOX 360. I usually watch the next day, or on the weekend.

You should consider investing in a Roku. They are very affordable at a minimum price of $50-60 and the stream quality is very good. Plus most of the network apps, including The CW is supported on it and constantly updated. Another very affordable option is the Amazon Fire TV or Stick.

Pretty soon the XBox 360 will be a giant dead paper weight as these network apps won't support and update it anymore. Do you still game on it and that's why you keep it?

I assume you're borrowing a cable log-in from a friend as AMC doesn't give free episodes of The Walking Dead on their website and app. You have to sign in.
Old 03-22-18, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I DVR everything, but at least half of it ends up getting watched on my iPad at work via apps. I’ve got a folder full of apps for all the channels I record from.
Old 03-22-18, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

I watch too much TV...I use my two tivos but I sometimes do use Netflix and Hulu to catch up on shows/episodes that for one reason or another did not get recorded the first time around. I used Netflix to catch up on some missing episodes of Riverdale, The Expanse and The Magicians. I used Hulu to catch up on The X-Files and Beyond.

One thing I have basically stopped using is Comcast on demand which I used to use a fair amount prior to being able to fairly recently add Hulu as an avenue to play catch up. I don't think Xfinity cares that I am not primarily using their on demand service to catch up on tv because I still pay them an arm and a leg for the services I get from them. However, I suspect that things like Sprint letting pretty much all their subscribers get Hulu for free have put a pinch in the metrics when they run their On Demand reports.
Old 03-22-18, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
I never watch anything but sports live anymore, and often not even that. For sports I'm getting myself used to the idea of starting to watch at a point where I can be sure I will be able to skip most commercial breaks.

Given the ease of having things recorded in the DVR, even to watch them later the same evening, why watch anything live anymore and have to deal with commercial breaks? All it takes to skip commercials is to start watching an hour long show about 20 minutes after it starts, and then watch it off the DVR.

I only use On Demand when the DVR screws up or I realize I want to watch a show after my chance of recording it has past.
I love the DVR for football. I usually work in the basement or keep busy until 2:30 then turn the game on. I usually hit the end of the game just about the time the real game is ending.

We DVR everything. We kind of watch everything live during the week but we play on the tablets a lot and do other stuff like fall asleep on the couch. Come the weekend we'll rewatch everything from the DVR and actually pay attention for 22 minutes.
Old 03-22-18, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

I still have stuff from 2014 on my dvr

I try to clear the NFL games first since they take up a lot of space.
Old 03-22-18, 05:20 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
People who are hundreds, thousands of episodes behind don’t count in this poll.

Should have specified delayed viewing for watching current TV.
Fwiw, I’m considering getting back into the current TV game again, as YouTubeTV is really impressing me. I’ll likely only watch a few shows outside of sports, but with the family plan to allow all of us to enjoy more channels, MLB and NBA TV, and the sweet unlimited DVR, think I’m ok with the extra monthly expense.
Old 03-22-18, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

As a cord-cutter I use:
Hulu for most things.
DVR for OTA stuff. (I periodically copy the contents to my Plex server so that the recordings are available throughout the house)
Terrarium for everything else. :P
Old 03-22-18, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Nothing beats TiVo/DVR for me. I sit down and with a click of a button I have all the shows I want to watch ready to go. No hunting through various services to find something to watch. I did just pick up an actual cable box last week for a secondary tv, which gives me On Demand which I've never used (not compatable with TiVo). So the wife and I just started This is Us that way.

I did recently subscribe to Netflix, so I have been watching some of those originals, and I used Amazon last year for some treadmill viewing (Strike Back and the Tick), but I still drift back to the TiVo pretty much every night.
Old 03-23-18, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

TIVO and physical media most of the time. I started watching the recent Knightfall series on DVR and will finish it on Blu-ray.
Old 03-23-18, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know I'm an antique by now, but in addition to DVR, I still use physical media for TV programming. I collect Blacklist and The Americans now and have Castle, Warehouse 13, and Chuck, plus a couple of assorted oddballs.
Old 03-25-18, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I know I'm an antique by now, but in addition to DVR, I still use physical media for TV programming. I collect Blacklist and The Americans now and have Castle, Warehouse 13, and Chuck, plus a couple of assorted oddballs.
I tend to still watch premium cable shows only by Blu-ray. Game of Thrones for one.