TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Marvel Reportedly Shutting Down Work on Disney XD Animated Series

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-18, 09:13 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Though Marvel’s Disney XD animated series Avengers Assemble, Guardians of the Galaxy, and its newest, Spider-Man , have all built up a solid fan following over the years, a new report states that work has begun to wind down on each show. According to animation industry blog Tomb of the Cartoon Monkey Skeleton, animators working on these series have been told that once work is done on the current batch of episodes over the next several months, there may not be more on the way.

RELATED: Marvel Animation Promises More Ms. Marvel, Black Panther, Venom

“Some of Marvel Animation’s shows are going on hiatus and (we’re told) crews being laid off,” the blog states. “Crew members say that much MA work will be completed in the next few months.”

In response to a direct question, the blog post’s writer Steve Hulett said one of Marvel’s animators has told him “series have not yet been renewed, so it looks like many artists at the studio will soon be gone.”

“The word from Marvel employees is …. things are up in the air,” Hulett, a former Hollywood animator himself, writes. “Staffers are looking at layoffs that will be happening soon, the studio (for now) is NOT moving back to a larger building in Burbank (they are now in Glendale), so things are … kind of muddy?”

While the animated Avengers series has existed in one form or another for years, and Guardians of the Galaxy is currently on its third season, the new Spider-Man show debuted just six months ago in mid-2017.
https://www.cbr.com/marvel-reportedl...FB-P&view=list

I'm glad they are shutting down these shows. The animation looks cheap, the story and voices are horrible and they are simply cheap knockoffs of what we are seeing in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It's sad that Marvel hasn't taken the opportunity of being on Disney XD to provide a good product for everyone. The previous Avengers: Earth Mightiest Heroes was incredible, probably their best animated series ever. It tied in with Wolverine and the X-Men and Spectacular Spider-Man (2 other very good series) and Jeph Loeb decided to discontinue all of them in favor for the crap we are seeing today. Marvel fans deserve better and I hope they go back to the drawing board and provide us with better animation and stories based on the comic books, not the movies. A great example of what they could do is the intro for the Marvel Heroes MMO.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Tjt1jN7oRcM" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-16-18, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Re: Marvel Reportedly Shutting Down Work on Disney XD Animated Series

It made some sense for them to end Earth's Mightiest Heroes because they were moving it to Disney XD and they wanted synergy with the movie properties.

I'm not exactly sure why they're rebooting again (and it makes absolutely no sense to reboot Spider-man so soon), but you have to remember that cartoons are made for kids, and for the most part are designed to be refreshed or cancelled every few years as the fan demographic ages out and they want to reset to allow new fans to come in.
Old 01-16-18, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Dropped GotG within the first season and never tried to other two series...
Just wasn't for me. Loved the live-action GotG movies though.
Old 01-17-18, 08:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fujishig
It made some sense for them to end Earth's Mightiest Heroes because they were moving it to Disney XD and they wanted synergy with the movie properties.

I'm not exactly sure why they're rebooting again (and it makes absolutely no sense to reboot Spider-man so soon), but you have to remember that cartoons are made for kids, and for the most part are designed to be refreshed or cancelled every few years as the fan demographic ages out and they want to reset to allow new fans to come in.
Just because they are made for kids doesn't mean that they have to do crap. There's no excuse for the shitty animation. DC Comics have proved that good stories and decent animation, plus incredible voice acting makes for a great cartoon. Disney had the amazing Phineas and Ferb that was done for kids but with great jokes for adults too.
Old 01-17-18, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I liked GotG, didn't like any of the others or Avengers WMH or the previous Spiderman.
Old 01-17-18, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Just because they are made for kids doesn't mean that they have to do crap. There's no excuse for the shitty animation. DC Comics have proved that good stories and decent animation, plus incredible voice acting makes for a great cartoon. Disney had the amazing Phineas and Ferb that was done for kids but with great jokes for adults too.
There is an excuse for the shitty animation: cost. Hey, I'd love for them to invest in these cartoons and make them enjoyable for me as I watch them with the kids, but that's not the priority.

Having said that, the cartoons are filled with stuff for adults that would totally go over the heads of kids. I mean, the last time I watched Avengers it was basically a surprisingly diverse cast (Wasp, Ms. Marvel, Captain Marvel, Vision, Black Panther, Ant Man), which is kind of cool. Are kids complaining that these cartoons are too dumb or something? And the art style is still, to me, much better than, say, the new Big Hero Six. Even the new Spider-man cartoon is growing on me.

And they still have excellent action cartoons for kids, even if you don't like the Marvel stuff. On XD alone there's the recently finished Gravity Falls, the revamped Duck Tales, and the great Star vs. the Forces of Evil.

Last edited by fujishig; 01-17-18 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-17-18, 02:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fujishig
There is an excuse for the shitty animation: cost. Hey, I'd love for them to invest in these cartoons and make them enjoyable for me as I watch them with the kids, but that's not the priority.

Having said that, the cartoons are filled with stuff for adults that would totally go over the heads of kids. I mean, the last time I watched Avengers it was basically a surprisingly diverse cast (Wasp, Ms. Marvel, Captain Marvel, Vision, Black Panther, Ant Man), which is kind of cool. Are kids complaining that these cartoons are too dumb or something? And the art style is still, to me, much better than, say, the new Big Hero Six. Even the new Spider-man cartoon is growing on me.

And they still have excellent action cartoons for kids, even if you don't like the Marvel stuff. On XD alone there's the recently finished Gravity Falls, the revamped Duck Tales, and the great Star vs. the Forces of Evil.
I agree with you on the rest of Disney XD programing. It's pretty good. That's why it is completely disappointing to see Marvel suck at animation. I don't think a good cartoon that also aims at adults will over kids heads. Pixar does great cartoons on a yearly basis that hits good nerves for all generations. Marvel can do the same especially when their characters are appreciated by all generations.
Old 01-17-18, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

This wave of Marvel animation was insipidly wretched with cheap animation. It had a hard time deciding if it wanted to pander to the movies or the current Marvel comics, making a hodge-podge continuity.
Old 01-25-18, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So were these rumors false, or is the studio shutting down after this next season of shows?

https://news.marvel.com/tv/83354/mar...sion-breakout/
Old 01-25-18, 10:24 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I don't really like most of the Marvel series. They really went downhill after Mightiest Heroes, too bad.

On the other hand I absolutely adore Justice League Action, but I suspect its days are numbered...