Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Most annoying characters in tv history?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-17, 06:34 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Most annoying characters in tv history?

Sometimes shows can last a long time even with a seemingly annoying character. Maybe you thought Urkel was annoying or even Sheldon on BBT. Of course, much of this is opinion, but who do you think are the characters that just bug you...

I don’t watch it often, but Barry on The Goldbergs is so grating to me. I know it’s the character, but he really bothers the shit out of me, even though I pretty much enjoy the rest of the cast and their parts. Even Mom, Wendi McLendon-Covey, who I dislike on most shows is ok. But, Barry is just terrible and am surprised a lot of story is based around him. Not even Adam, narrated by Patton Oswalt, is the main focus. It’s usually Barry.

So, who in tv history, on any tv show, really bugged or still bugs you?
Old 12-27-17, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Re: Most annoying characters in tv history?

And for the record, I never watched a single episode, the ads were more than enough to know.
Old 12-27-17, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 233 Likes on 137 Posts

"Get in the house, Carl!"
Old 12-27-17, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I realize I'm in the EXTREME minority but I couldn't stand Lucille Ball (I Love Lucy) or Carol Burnett (any of the characters she would play).
Old 12-27-17, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

I agree to a degree about Barry. I think the problem is that the actor over-dramatises everything he says - just puts in way too much effort.

I probably have to say that Sheldon on BBT is the most annoying to me. There are at least 5 times per episode I want to punch him in the face. Unrealistic that everyone is still willing to hang out with such an asshole.
Old 12-27-17, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Ryan on the Office, though I think that was by design. And of course Toby, who doesn't hate Toby? And boom mic guy.

I hated Ted Mosby, though I'm not sure if it's because everyone else in HIMYM was pretty great and he was supposed to be the bland lead. But especially after that crapfest of a final season.

Last edited by fujishig; 12-27-17 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-27-17, 08:56 PM
Premium Member

Received 698 Likes on 466 Posts

Old 12-27-17, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
Was expecting that one early on.

I think teenage boys should be a recurring theme.

AJ Soprano was the first that I thought of.

Ted Moseby is a great call by fujishig.
Old 12-27-17, 09:34 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Old 12-27-17, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 12-27-17, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Comedy is easy. Take a one note character with a hook the audience loves and beat it into the ground until the audience erodes into nothing.

Dom (Entourage):
You have a perfect mix of characters in Vinny, Drama, Turtle & E. and yet they tried to shoehorn in a former member of the entourage that stayed back in NY/was in prison. Disaster of epic proportions. It's no surprise he only appeared in a mere two episodes early on and was never heard from again until the final season.

Chloe Lewis (er):

Just dragged the show down every time she was on. Even with the most annoying characters usually they'll have a bright spot or moment of redemption, but nope. Not a single minute of screen time was ever worth it when she was on. That's quite a feat considering the show ran for 14 years and had a ton of cast members over that time.

Negan (Walking Dead):

He's a comic book villain to the core come to life on the screen. That's not a good thing. What works on a black and white page doesn't always translate to a living-breathing world. He's annoying, and JDM thinks he there to chew scenery, but that's not the performace that comes across. They need to kill him ASAP and move the fuck on. He's been killing the show for a year and a half now(as evidenced by the ratings). *disregard if he's been dispatched already. I'm a handful of episodes behind because I dread him showing up. Not because he's scary or might kill someone I like, but because he's a terrible character.
Old 12-27-17, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Richard Kind in anything (Spin City, Mad About You, Gotham).
Old 12-27-17, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I liked Kind in both Spin City and Mad About You. He played characters that were supposed to be annoying, and he was good at it. He has a certain look, voice and delivery that just works for that kind of secondary character.
Old 12-27-17, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Mary Padian on Storage Wars. She's a fucking 12-year-old autistic spaz. I laugh when she complains about not being able to find a guy in LA. Even in developmentally-challenged LA no guy would put up with that. I stopped watching the show because of her.

On fictional TV, Trisha Helfer managed to make me skip all of season 2 of Lucifer. And I was stoked for her arrival.

Voyager's Neelix went from great potential character to total annoyance in rapid time. Like, half a season.

Last edited by Traxan; 12-27-17 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-27-17, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
I realize I'm in the EXTREME minority but I couldn't stand Lucille Ball (I Love Lucy) or Carol Burnett (any of the characters she would play).
Agreed with Lucille Ball from any of her shows. I’ve never understood her appeal at all and I don’t find her funny. Not just her but Desi as well. I realize it was a different era for sitcoms but I don’t mind other shows from around the same time.

Another I’d say is Bea Arthur as Maude. I like a lot of the Norman Lear sitcoms but never liked that character on All in the Family or later on her own show.
Old 12-27-17, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts

Kim Bauer (24) annoyed me.

I'll have to think, but I'm sure I can come up with more.
Old 12-27-17, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

TV history is a pretty broad timeline, but in recent years I don't know if I've disliked a character more than Ilsa Pucci in season 2 of Human Target.
Old 12-27-17, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Another I’d say is Bea Arthur as Maude. I like a lot of the Norman Lear sitcoms but never liked that character on All in the Family or later on her own show.
Or The Golden Girls. Bea Arthur was not a likeable woman. That all came out after she died. Not a likeable person, no likeable characters.
Old 12-28-17, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Adding another choice... all 3 Stooges (or all 5 I guess).
I found the characters annoying and the show to be incredibly stupid.
Old 12-28-17, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101

Steve Urkel was the first person that popped in my mind.
Old 12-28-17, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

My wife is obsessed with So You Think You Can Dance. Whenever Mary Martin is on screen, I have to leave the room. Her voice makes me want to punch a puppy. Not a "character" but still annoying as all hell.

Last edited by Noonan; 12-28-17 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-28-17, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I liked Kind in both Spin City and Mad About You. He played characters that were supposed to be annoying, and he was good at it. He has a certain look, voice and delivery that just works for that kind of secondary character.
Not a lot of candidates left in this thread if we throw out all that are supposed to be annoying.

Personally I see it as the difference between annoying characters that are still watchable and those that make you want to turn off the TV. Richard Kind makes me want to turn off the TV.
Old 12-28-17, 08:43 AM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts

The female love interest on DC superhero shows. Lana Lang, Laurel Lance, Iris West, etc.
Old 12-28-17, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
You know truthfully I didn't mind Wesley that much. I think he started off a bit more annoying but to me at least gradually got better. Still not my favorite character on the show and I didn't mind when he was written off but I don't hate him like a lot of TNG fans.
Old 12-28-17, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Not a lot of candidates left in this thread if we throw out all that are supposed to be annoying.

Personally I see it as the difference between annoying characters that are still watchable and those that make you want to turn off the TV. Richard Kind makes me want to turn off the TV.
Written to be annoying and annoying by way of bad scripts are pretty different. There are plenty of candidates for both. None of the three I posted were written to be annoying, nor Kim Bauer, or the DC female leads. Bad casting and/or bad scripting did that.

Nothing wrong with either, and Urkel was the first that came to mind for me as well. I just find the annoying by happenstance more interesting.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.