Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Gunpowder -- HBO miniseries -- S: Kit Harington, Liv Tyler -- premieres 12/18/17

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Gunpowder -- HBO miniseries -- S: Kit Harington, Liv Tyler -- premieres 12/18/17

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-17, 07:14 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RgZmFyJdloQ" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gunpowder, a three-part thriller based on the 17th century events that led to Guy Fawkes Day, is coming to HBO. The miniseries, written by Ronan Bennet (Top Boy) and directed by J Blakeson (The Disappearance of Alice Creed) stars Kit Harington (Game of Thrones) as Robert Catesby, who was the driving force behind the Gunpowder Plot in 1605 London.

Originally presented on BBC One in the U.K., the series is produced by Kudos in association with Thriker Films. “Gunpowder has been hugely popular with BBC One audiences in the U.K.,” says Kudos CEO Diederick Santer. “We expect the drama to be unmissable viewing stateside.”

The story focuses on Catesby, a committed Catholic at a time when Protestant England persecuted Catholics relentlessly, as his refusal to abandon his religion brings him to the edge of financial, social and psychological ruin. Mark Gatiss (Game of Thrones, Sherlock) plays Robert Cecil, King James’ spymaster, who directs efforts to hunt down, torture and kill priests, while rank-and-file Catholics are subject to oppression and the loss of their property.

The miniseries chronicles the evolution of the plot, the selection of collaborators to carry it out, the gathering of resources and the obstacles to its execution — as Catesby’s team plays a deadly cat and mouse game with Cecil’s ruthless spy network.

The cast also features Peter Mullan (Cinemax’s Quarry) as the Jesuit Father Garnet, who advocates peaceful protestation, and Liv Tyler (The Leftovers) as Catesby’s astute and capable cousin, Anne Vaux, who becomes suspicious about his activities and fears the consequences will be the exact opposite of what Catesby intends.

Harington, who is a co-executive producer on the show, has a personal connection to Gunpowder: The actor is a descendant of Robert Catesby himself. “Three years ago, Daniel West and I began developing Gunpowder with Kudos and Ronan Bennett,” says Harington. “We are thrilled to share this unique story with the U.S. audience. I can't think of a better place to do that than my home at HBO.”

“We are delighted to offer a platform for a project that is so close to Kit Harington’s heart,” says Kary Antholis, President of HBO Miniseries and Cinemax Programming. “Kit’s passion for and belief in Gunpowder are evident in every frame of the miniseries.”

Gunpowder’s first part will debut Monday, December 18 at 10 PM, with the second and third installments airing on the subsequent two nights — Tuesday, December 19 and Wednesday, December 20, also at 10 PM.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· David Bamber
· Derek Riddell
· Edward Holcroft
· Kevin Eldon
· Kit Harington
· Liv Tyler
· Mark Gatiss
· Peter Mullan
· Robert Emms
· Shaun Dooley
· Sian Webber
· Tom Cullen

CREW INFORMATION:
· Daniel West as CO-EP
· J Blakeson as DIR
· Kit Harington as CO-EP
· Laurie Borg as PROD
· Ollie Madden as EP
· Ronan Bennett as WRTR
3 night miniseries.
Old 12-18-17, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
Re: Gunpowder -- HBO miniseries -- S: Kit Harington, Liv Tyler -- premieres 12/18/17

Will watch regardless, but wouldn't a Sunday night premiere be better than on Monday night, especially since they had nothing slotted there anyway?
Old 12-18-17, 12:12 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: Gunpowder -- HBO miniseries -- S: Kit Harington, Liv Tyler -- premieres 12/18/17

Had no idea this was airing. Sounds good - I'm in.
Old 12-19-17, 11:55 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I thought the first episode was a bit slow, but I'll keep watching.
Old 12-20-17, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

HBO didn't spend a dime advertising this. Looks interesting, though.
Old 12-21-17, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Got 40 minutes into episode 1 and finally turned it off. It was just so slow. Seems like a show that if I could get through all 3 episodes that it would be better on second viewing when you know all the players and can concentrate on the dialog.
Old 12-21-17, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
HBO didn't spend a dime advertising this. Looks interesting, though.
It's not really their show. It's a BBC One drama that HBO bought the US rights to. According to Wikipedia, Kit Harington is a direct descendant of the character he plays on this show, which is pretty cool. One of his other ancestors, John Harington, developed one of the earliest post-Classical flushing toilets. The slang term "john" for a toilet is arguably because of him.
Old 12-21-17, 06:09 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Made it through all three, but I'm glad there wasn't any more. It was slow, and it was hard for me, in today's world, to really understand the reason for the conflict. I know it was there, and the show illustrated the torture involved. But it never clearly, at least to me, showed why the English monarchy hated the Catholics.
Old 12-22-17, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts

I am not extremely familiar with the history of English monarchy of that time, but from what I know, it may all have stemmed from the rivalry and conflict of the previous generation, between Elizabeth I (Protestant) and Mary, Queen of Scot (Catholic).

It was a fight for the throne of England which Elizabeth obviously won out, but in a way that was also a war of the two religions in which some nobles actually supported the opposing queen because of their commonality in the faith. The Vatican was also allegedly involved in the attempted ousting of Elizabeth. After Elizabeth I died without an heir, Mary's son ended up succeeding her to the English throne as James I. James was Protestant and many Catholic nobles were not pleased with that, resulting in internal turmoil. The Gunpowder plot was one of those assassination attempts on the king's life.
Old 12-22-17, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~
I am not extremely familiar with the history of English monarchy of that time, but from what I know, it may all have stemmed from the rivalry and conflict of the previous generation, between Elizabeth I (Protestant) and Mary, Queen of Scot (Catholic).

It was a fight for the throne of England which Elizabeth obviously won out, but in a way that was also a war of the two religions in which some nobles actually supported the opposing queen because of their commonality in the faith. The Vatican was also allegedly involved in the attempted ousting of Elizabeth. After Elizabeth I died without an heir, Mary's son ended up succeeding her to the English throne as James I. James was Protestant and many Catholic nobles were not pleased with that, resulting in internal turmoil. The Gunpowder plot was one of those assassination attempts on the king's life.
It goes back a bit earlier than that. Until the reign of Henry VIII (Elizabeth I's father), England was a Catholic country. When the Vatican refused to annul his marriage to his first wife, the country parted ways with that religion and stripped the Catholic institutions in England of their assets. This pissed off a significant number of people, and religious turmoil would continue amongst Henry's legitimate children, all of whom would rule as King or Queen, and onwards into the 17th century..