TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead (S8E04) -- "Some Guy" -- 11/12/17

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-17, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S8E04) -- "Some Guy" -- 11/12/17

Originally Posted by Luds
Another character centric filler borefest.
This.
Old 11-14-17, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How big an appetite do walkers have, anyway? Do they keep eating until they're full? What if their stomachs have rotted away...does the food just fall out? And does zombie scat litter the landscape?[/QUOTE]

I think the comics actually have Eugene address this question. I don't read them, but I have read about that story line.
Old 11-14-17, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Rollin', rollin', rollin'...keep them zombies rollin'....

As for this season thus far:

Meh. "Action" for the sake of action gets old pretty fast.

Gripes (many already mentioned):

Machine gun can mow down rows of people from a pretty good distance but can't hit motorcycle or car within spitting distance (until finally the old radiator block gambit is played).

Rick can dispatch hundreds of walkers with a well-placed knife blow to head but has a hard time cutting throat of human driver and dumping him out of truck in order to be able to save weapons vehicle intact.

Carol can hide behind truck with no shots either ricocheting on walls behind her or pinging off pavement below truck. Also, Carol doesn't take out guys while all five are gathered together with four holding up gun crates and the other with weapon slung over shoulder. Also, Carol's attackers don't attempt to flank her position with covering fire but just do a back-and-forth full auto exchange to eat up air time.

The interminable crawling and stumbling from zombie scenes with the King (and his subject and his attacker and Jerry) without any point.

Shiva...who could literally have shredded the emaciated walkers easily or bowled them over while escaping...just allows herself to be swarmed. Unless this is a deliberate sacrificial rear guard action from Shiva...totally unnecessary considering her power...this was contrived.

As for "Zombie Shiva," unless the walkers can regurgitate all the consumed pieces and then the reanimated chunks can reform themselves into semblance of a big feline, don't think anyone has anything to worry about.

How big an appetite do walkers have, anyway? Do they keep eating until they're full? What if their stomachs have rotted away...does the food just fall out? And does zombie scat litter the landscape?

I agree with everything you said !!

What about Daryl wiping out and then 30 seconds later he is back on his bike, caught up with the truck, and no damage to himself or his bike.
Old 11-14-17, 04:33 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

this doesn't feel ANYTHING like the show from S1 or 2.

my God, it's just bad. It's laughable. If this show started off this way I would suspect it would've been long cancelled by now.
Old 11-14-17, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Given how badly they have been executed, I'm finding these drawn out ammo wasting scenes far more boring than the character pieces we got last season. This "all out War' could have easily been done in one extra length episode, and probably make more sense. But kudos to the effects crew for giving us the pretty realistic depiction of the carnage that gun would reign down on the group. Sucks Shiva had to bit it, but she goes down basically the same way in the comic.

But that said I'm still not as down on this show as others. Plus I'm sure they'll be following the Negan end game from the comics soon and then we can move on to the next big bad story line. And I suspect the anarchy within the Savior camp, with no Negan around to keep things in control, will make for a great episode.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 11-14-17 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-15-17, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Rollin', rollin', rollin'...keep them zombies rollin'....

As for this season thus far:

Meh. "Action" for the sake of action gets old pretty fast.

Gripes (many already mentioned):

Machine gun can mow down rows of people from a pretty good distance but can't hit motorcycle or car within spitting distance (until finally the old radiator block gambit is played).

Rick can dispatch hundreds of walkers with a well-placed knife blow to head but has a hard time cutting throat of human driver and dumping him out of truck in order to be able to save weapons vehicle intact.

Carol can hide behind truck with no shots either ricocheting on walls behind her or pinging off pavement below truck. Also, Carol doesn't take out guys while all five are gathered together with four holding up gun crates and the other with weapon slung over shoulder. Also, Carol's attackers don't attempt to flank her position with covering fire but just do a back-and-forth full auto exchange to eat up air time.

The interminable crawling and stumbling from zombie scenes with the King (and his subject and his attacker and Jerry) without any point.

Shiva...who could literally have shredded the emaciated walkers easily or bowled them over while escaping...just allows herself to be swarmed. Unless this is a deliberate sacrificial rear guard action from Shiva...totally unnecessary considering her power...this was contrived.

As for "Zombie Shiva," unless the walkers can regurgitate all the consumed pieces and then the reanimated chunks can reform themselves into semblance of a big feline, don't think anyone has anything to worry about.

How big an appetite do walkers have, anyway? Do they keep eating until they're full? What if their stomachs have rotted away...does the food just fall out? And does zombie scat litter the landscape?
Seriously. Carol sits when they're all together, and doesn't fire. Then steps out in the open to shoot at the three that were still together, instead of keeping covered. And manages to miss them.

Shiva being killed was absolutely ridiculous. The strength and reflexes of a tiger being overwhelmed by a small group of walkers? In addition, it happened because Ezekiel and companions were being idiots. Drag him up the other side, and GTFO of there.

Originally Posted by TGM

my God, it's just bad. It's laughable. If this show started off this way I would suspect it would've been long cancelled by now.
It's just shit. I can't believe how bad this show has gotten.
Old 11-16-17, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM

Didn't the original showrunner leave after Season 2? I might have the timeline wrong, but I blame this series' decline in quality on Scott M. Gimple taking over. And now he's about to do the same on FTWD.
Old 11-16-17, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
Seriously. Carol sits when they're all together, and doesn't fire. Then steps out in the open to shoot at the three that were still together, instead of keeping covered. And manages to miss them.
I kind of thought maybe she is waiting for them to load the heavy guns onto the truck before she takes them out but I suppose that might be giving the writers too much credit....
Old 11-16-17, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Didn't the original showrunner leave after Season 2? I might have the timeline wrong, but I blame this series' decline in quality on Scott M. Gimple taking over. And now he's about to do the same on FTWD.
It was Frank Darabont, the creator of the show. He was fired by AMC a few episodes into season 2.

There's numerous articles on the internet about it and his current lawsuit against them.
Old 11-16-17, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure how much of a factor that is by itself. The show was great for many seasons after Darabont's exit. Anybody disagrees definitely fits into "why are they still watching" category given only S1 was all Darabont.
Old 11-16-17, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
I kind of thought maybe she is waiting for them to load the heavy guns onto the truck before she takes them out but I suppose that might be giving the writers too much credit....
Haha....like a girl breaking up with you after you help her move.
Old 11-16-17, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
Even if we gave them that credit, why would she step out into the open, when she already had a line of sight to them. She just exposed herself to fire from the other two. Good thing none of them can shoot.
Old 11-16-17, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
People keep saying that, and have many quibbles with the show, as well (even though I'm still a big fan). But, it does seem to me that sometime in season three I saw Gimple say on TTD that they were going to stick much more closely to the source material in the future. Though I don't read the comics, I keep reading that everything he writes (except for swapping some characters' destinies around and the killer flu) IS in the books.

If that's the case I'm left with a couple of questions. Is the problem Gimple or Kirkman? Is it just that some of the later plots don't translate well to the screen?
Old 11-16-17, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by smorbie
Is the problem Gimple or Kirkman? Is it just that some of the later plots don't translate well to the screen?
I'm not going to say it's all Gimple, but it isn't Kirkman's stories. Comics are their own medium, just like novels are. If you're going to adapt them to TV, it's on you to do so in a way that's credible. It isn't easy, especially with the way Hollywood schedules TV shows. You know, a bean counter decides that if 13 episodes are great (for profits), 20 episodes are even better! Everyone wants to make the money, but I doubt anyone involved would really suggest it gives you the time to put together a more solid show.

The example of this that sticks out in my mind is when Negan greeted Rick's armed gang earlier this season (which was covered extensively on this forum at the time). Negan was clearly completely exposed to a group of people with machine guns who wanted (badly) to kill him, and they never fired a shot at him, instead shooting out windows of a building for seemingly no reason.. That's an execution problem.

It's often said that perfect is the enemy of good, but it can also be said that "good enough" is the enemy of great.