Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power -- news, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power -- news, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-20, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,923 Likes on 2,799 Posts
re: The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power -- news, rumors, etc.

Sounds like this show is finally shaping up. I have to imagine they will start full production in the next few months.

I'm going to guess this comes out late 2021. It's going to need a lot of time to film and probably have extensive post production.
Old 01-14-20, 08:25 PM

Received 4,842 Likes on 3,274 Posts

It says filming starts next month.
Old 01-14-20, 11:33 PM

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,259 Posts

This hasn't even started filming yet?! Holy cow! My dad would say, "Well, when are they going to get around to it, half past a monkey's ass?!"

My dad's weird.
Old 01-15-20, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,058 Posts

That's 15 people, surely not all are leads? Will this be like set in three different places or time periods? I can't imagine that many people getting any decent amount of screentime.
Old 12-03-20, 02:15 PM

The upcoming “Lord of the Rings” series at Amazon is adding 20 actors to its cast, Variety has learned.

The new additions are: Cynthia Addai-Robinson, Maxim Baldry, Ian Blackburn, Kip Chapman, Anthony Crum, Maxine Cunliffe, Trystan Gravelle, Sir Lenny Henry, Thusitha Jayasundera, Fabian McCallum, Simon Merrells, Geoff Morrell, Peter Mullan, Lloyd Owen, Augustus Prew, Peter Tait, Alex Tarrant, Leon Wadham, Benjamin Walker, and Sara Zwangobani.

Blackburn, Chapman, Crum, Cunliffe, Tait, Tarrant, and Wadham all hail from New Zealand, where the show is currently in production, with the remaining international ensemble cast originating from Australia, Sri Lanka, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

They join previously announced cast members Robert Aramayo, Owain Arthur, Nazanin Boniadi, Tom Budge, Morfydd Clark, Ismael Cruz Córdova, Ema Horvath, Markella Kavenagh, Joseph Mawle, Tyroe Muhafidin, Sophia Nomvete, Megan Richards, Dylan Smith, Charlie Vickers, and Daniel Weyman as announced earlier this year.

“The world that J.R.R. Tolkien created is epic, diverse, and filled with heart,” said showrunners and executive producers J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay. “These extraordinarily talented performers, hailing from across the globe, represent the culmination of a multi-year search to find brilliant and unique artists to bring that world to life anew. The international cast of Amazon’s The ‘Lord of the Rings’ series is more than just an ensemble. It is a family. We are thrilled to welcome each of them to Middle-earth.”

The “Lord of the Rings” series is written by Payne and McKay. In addition, “Game of Thrones” alum Bryan Cogman has signed on as a consulting producer on the project with J.A. Bayona set to direct multiple episodes.

In addition to those previously announced, the show’s full creative team will consist of: executive producers Lindsey Weber, Bruce Richmond, Callum Greene, and Amazon’s former head of genre programming Sharon Tal Yguado; writer and executive producer Gennifer Hutchison; writer and executive producer Jason Cahill; writer and executive producer Justin Doble; consulting producer Stephany Folsom; producer Ron Ames; writer and co-producer Helen Shang; and writing consultant Glenise Mullins. Bayona will also executive produce along with his partner Belén Atienza.

Little is known about the plot of the “Lord of the Rings” series beyond the fact it will explore new storylines preceding J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Fellowship of the Ring.” The show’s official Twitter account sent out an image of a map along with the two messages: “One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them, In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie,” as well as “Welcome to the Second Age.” In the Tolkien mythology, the Second Age was the time in which the Rings of Power, including Sauron’s One Ring, came into existence.

Variety exclusively reported in November 2017 that a “Lord of the Rings” series was in the works at Amazon, with the streamer announcing a multi-season production commitment shortly thereafter. The series will be produced by Amazon Studios in cooperation with the Tolkien Estate and Trust, HarperCollins, and New Line Cinema, a division of Warner Bros. Entertainment.
https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/lor...st-1234845274/
Old 12-03-20, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Far more interested in the Wheel of Time TV series from Amazon
Old 12-03-20, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Far more interested in the Wheel of Time TV series from Amazon
Then go make a thread about that and discuss it there... instead of a LOTR thread...
You’ve already said that like four times here.
Old 12-03-20, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What the hell kind of cast are they putting together?

I gotta think they're doing several different storylines with different groups of people, maybe they'll all lead up to some kind of big coming together plot.
Old 12-03-20, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,172 Posts

It’s LotR, I’m sure the number of actors appearing in this series is huge. I don’t need to know the latest 20 nobodies who managed to land parts.

What I DO want is to see a damn trailer already. This series has been in production for 3 years. Giveme something!
Old 12-03-20, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
It’s LotR, I’m sure the number of actors appearing in this series is huge. I don’t need to know the latest 20 nobodies who managed to land parts.

What I DO want is to see a damn trailer already. This series has been in production for 3 years. Giveme something!
No it hasn’t. It was announced 3 years ago. It started production earlier this year and then had to be put on hold.
Old 12-03-20, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
No it hasn’t. It was announced 3 years ago. It started production earlier this year and then had to be put on hold.
I don’t want facts when I’m having my Veruca Salt rants! I want a trailer and I want one now!

Old 12-04-20, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,324 Likes on 965 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I don’t want facts when I’m having my Veruca Salt rants! I want a trailer and I want one now!

I first thought of the musical group and I was confused.
Old 12-05-20, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I first thought of the musical group and I was confused.
Same
Old 01-13-21, 10:29 AM

Fans have waited patiently for 3 years, since Amazon announced they acquired the TV rights to LORD OF THE RINGS, to get an idea of what a new Middle-earth show will be about. We finally have the answer, thanks to an incredible spy report. TheOneRing.net has verified the authenticity & accuracy of this show description.

Here is the official show synopsis for Amazon’s billion-dollar LOTR series:

Amazon Studios’ forthcoming series brings to screens for the very first time the heroic legends of the fabled Second Age of Middle-earth’s history. This epic drama is set thousands of years before the events of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, and will take viewers back to an era in which great powers were forged, kingdoms rose to glory and fell to ruin, unlikely heroes were tested, hope hung by the finest of threads, and the greatest villain that ever flowed from Tolkien’s pen threatened to cover all the world in darkness.

Beginning in a time of relative peace, the series follows an ensemble cast of characters, both familiar and new, as they confront the long-feared re-emergence of evil to Middle-earth. From the darkest depths of the Misty Mountains, to the majestic forests of the elf-capital of Lindon, to the breathtaking island kingdom of Númenor, to the furthest reaches of the map, these kingdoms and characters will carve out legacies that live on long after they are gone.

Rumors have flown ever since Amazon & the Tolkien Estate announced the new visual collaboration. Early reports were that the story of young Aragorn would be explored – a strategy that shifted after the showrunners and writing team were assembled. In a surprising turn, Amazon released a teaser map and crew video announcing the Second Age of Middle-earth, 1000s of years before the events of The Hobbit and LOTR.

Numenor, heretofore unmentioned in film adaptations, would clearly be a central location for the series.

Amazon’s LOTR is currently planned as a minimum 5-season series, with 8 to 10 episodes per season. Filming begins this month on back-to-back Seasons 1&2 in New Zealand. While the showrunners are new to Hollywood with nothing on their production resumes, the fabulous J.A. Bayona was hired to direct the 2-part pilot and set the tone for the entire series to come. The pilot has completed filming and is currently in post production.
Old 01-13-21, 11:07 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

We've waited patiently waited for 3 years? If anything, re-watching the Jackson trilogy in 4K tells me we don't need another retelling of this book series.
Old 01-13-21, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
We've waited patiently waited for 3 years? If anything, re-watching the Jackson trilogy in 4K tells me we don't need another retelling of this book series.
Yes. What we really need is a Silmarillion series.
The following users liked this post:
Kmical (02-15-22)
Old 01-13-21, 01:00 PM
Banned

Received 377 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by randian
I don't understand why they didn't go that route to begin with. There is so much unmined material in The Silmarillion.
Old 01-13-21, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Originally Posted by randian
Well it is not a retelling of the book series. I assume this story will be about the rise of power of Sauron. So I would guess we see Elrond, Galadriel, Elendil, and Sauron. Maybe the fall of Numenor takes place midway through the series? Just going by memory
Old 01-13-21, 05:36 PM

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,259 Posts

Originally Posted by story
This hasn't even started filming yet?! Holy cow! My dad would say, "Well, when are they going to get around to it, half past a monkey's ass?!"

My dad's weird.
Wow, like, one-year anniversary. Get. To. Shooting!
Old 01-13-21, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,984 Likes on 2,035 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Well it is not a retelling of the book series. I assume this story will be about the rise of power of Sauron. So I would guess we see Elrond, Galadriel, Elendil, and Sauron. Maybe the fall of Numenor takes place midway through the series? Just going by memory
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, too. We'll see stuff like the forging of the Rings, the Fall of the Numenor, the Breaking of the World, the war against Sauron, the creation of the Nazgul, and the defeat of Sauron by Isildur. I could also see the final scenes of the series being the planting of the White Tree and arrival of the Istari to Middle Earth.

Old 01-13-21, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Eric F
I don't understand why they didn't go that route to begin with. There is so much unmined material in The Silmarillion.
Yeah, there is. But, since the Silmarillion is just a bunch of scraps and fragments, they would have to essentially write a whole new story. That might be why the Tolkien estate is hesitant to license it out.
Old 01-13-21, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don’t think the Tolkien estate wants anything licensed out. The only reason Jackson was able to do his movies was because he was able to buy the rights from the person that bought them in the 70s to make the animated ones. I don’t think the Tolkien estates made any money off the PJ films.
Old 01-13-21, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Tolkien himself sold the film and merchandise rights to The Lord of the Rings while he was still alive, so he wasn't opposed to having his books turned into films. It was, I believe, in 1969, and he got $250,000 for it.

The Tolkien estate also sued New Line Cinema for withholding royalties from the films, and ended up settling out of court for undisclosed terms.

It's a bit difficult to know what, exactly Amazon bought. It's been said that they bought the tv rights to The Lord of the Rings, and they may only depict events from the Second Age. If that is true, then they paid a quarter of a billion dollars for part of the Lord of the Rings appendix. I'm not sure if they also bought the rights to things mentioned in The Lost Tales as well.

This article covers some information, though I'm not sure if the authors fully grasp all of the nuance involved.

I also wonder how canonically accurate to the mythology the Tolkien Estate will make Amazon be. In order to actually make a coherent tv series out of the material, they'll probably need to do things like compress timelines (eg, The Fellowship of the Ring novel takes place over a couple of decades) and create composite characters and shuffle characters around (eg, in the films, it was Arwen -- and not Glorfindel, a character who would not be seen again in the story, who intervened after Frodo was stabbed on Weathertop).
Old 01-14-21, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 392 Likes on 279 Posts

Not really deep. But here is a good summary of the story to expect. I’m not into Lord of the Rings beyond the 6 movies. It was a good rundown.

Old 04-08-21, 08:37 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

But will we see quality like this?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.