Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power -- news, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power -- news, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-17, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
re: The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power -- news, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The hell? I thought the Tolkien estate (and Christopher Tolkien in particular) were dead set opposed to any adaptions of JRRT's work.
I've gathered that they loathe merchandising more than film adaptation.
Old 11-04-17, 11:34 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

An animated version would be well suited here as well. Spawn on HBO was the last American animated fantasy series that I can recall that was targeted towards adults.
Old 11-06-17, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 222 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon2
Isaac Asimov did the same with his Foundation series, which is tied to his robot stories and some other works via a common history... which all starts off with his time travel novel "The End of Eternity".

Probably what would be potentially the best would be Keith Laumer's series about interstellar diplomat Retief. Given what he's done with the Orville, and that the Retief stories are basically humorous, I think Seth MacFarlane would be great for doing a Retief series... if he could let go of anachronistic humor.
Foundation series is in development, again.

I'm currently reading the Retief stories. They don't seem to be connected in any way, so there would probably have to be some overarching narrative created. I do think they would be fun to see play out.

I'm a little surprised there hasn't been another stab at the Discworld series.
Old 11-13-17, 12:20 PM

Received 4,600 Likes on 3,117 Posts

Official:

Lord of the Rings Series Lands at Amazon With Multi-Season Commitment Plus a Potential Spinoff

Amazon announced on Monday that it has acquired the global TV rights to J.R.R. Tolkien’s celebrated The Lord of the Rings fantasy novels, with a multi-season commitment that includes the potential for an additional spin-off series.
News of the potential acquisition first swirled on Nov. 3, in the wake of Amazon expressing a desire to land its own “Game of Thrones.”

The Amazon Prime Original — which will explore new storylines preceding Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring — will be produced by Amazon Studios in cooperation with the Tolkien Estate and Trust, HarperCollins and New Line Cinema (a division of Warner Bros. Entertainment).

“The Lord of the Rings is a cultural phenomenon that has captured the imagination of generations of fans through literature and the big screen,” Amazon scripted chief Sharon Tal Yguado said in a statement. “We are honored to be working with the Tolkien Estate and Trust, HarperCollins and New Line on this exciting collaboration for television and are thrilled to be taking The Lord of the Rings fans on a new epic journey in Middle Earth.”
VIDEOSThe Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Sets Amazon Premiere Date

“We are delighted that Amazon, with its longstanding commitment to literature, is the home of the first-ever multi-season television series for The Lord of the Rings,” said a representative for the Tolkien Estate and Trust and HarperCollins. “Sharon and the team at Amazon Studios have exceptional ideas to bring to the screen previously unexplored stories based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s original writings.”

http://tvline.com/2017/11/13/lord-of...tiple-seasons/

Last edited by dex14; 11-13-17 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-13-17, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,660 Likes on 2,628 Posts

Not sure if he would be willing to do it since he literally spent 20 years of his life doing the original movies and prequels, but they should hire Peter Jackson to be an EP/consultant on this series.
Old 11-13-17, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Not sure if he would be willing to do it since he literally spent 20 years of his life doing the original movies and prequels, but they should hire Peter Jackson to be an EP/consultant on this series.
Please no. PJ squandered all of his good will on the LOTR trilogy with the execrable Hobbit trilogy. He Lucas-ed himself!
Old 11-13-17, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,029 Likes on 848 Posts

I get that the material has been covered before, and it may not be the ideal treatment, but wouldn't most people at least give it a try, especially if it's "free" on Prime? Not saying for multiple seasons, but a few episodes at least.
Old 11-13-17, 12:35 PM

At least it seems to indicate this will take place before the trilogy.
Old 11-13-17, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 558 Likes on 409 Posts

I would much prefer to see someone do a decent Dark Materials series then another Lord of the Rings thing.
Old 11-13-17, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,193 Likes on 919 Posts

If it's a prequel then it can most certainly work. You've got the first and second age filled with material to explore -- especially if it's a multi-season production. I'm in. Now comes the casting.
Old 11-13-17, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,414 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Yeah, wasn't PJ considering that for the Hobbit movies at one point?

I actually like this idea, that's 60 years of mucking about Middle Earth that shouldn't tread on the films too much.
Old 11-13-17, 03:38 PM
Banned

Like I said, The Simarillion.

I still hope it's animated, but there's little hope for that.
Old 11-13-17, 06:09 PM

Here is the curious part of Amazon’s announcement on a multi-season commitment to turn the JRR Tolkien conceived The Lord of the Rings into an event TV series. Amazon has not tried to enlist the help of, or even reached out to Peter Jackson. With writing partners Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens, Jackson visually realized the Middle Earth universe in three LOTR films, and the prequel The Hobbit trilogy. I’m told there has been no Kiwi contact at all, at least not yet.

Amazon chief Jeff Bezos’ love of the LOTR movies and desire for Amazon to have a Game of Thrones-sized epic series made the giant most receptive when the Tolkien estate put the rights for sale. Word is that after Netflix offered around $100 million, Amazon substantially outbid them with the promise of rights fees and marketing commitment that puts the transaction past $200 million.

These sums are remarkable when one considers the struggles Jackson went through to find a home for the original LOTR. The rights were controlled by Disney-owned Miramax, and when Harvey Weinstein was denied permission by his boss Michael Eisner to fund Jackson’s plan to turn Tolkien’s three books into two movies, Weinstein allowed Jackson a short window to shop it. The offer sheet included a 5% first dollar gross stake for Miramax, with the understanding Jackson would exit in the high likelihood no else stepped up. Miramax would have hired another filmmaker to cram three books into a single film. The final stop on Jackson’s pitch tour was New Line, where Bob Shaye heard Jackson’s two movie pitch, and instead committed to make the trilogy in one shoot. The Tolkien estate rights portion of that deal? Around $3 million.

The escalation of value the Tolkien estate will derive from Amazon comes from the marriage of Tolkien’s imaginative storytelling and Jackson’s visual genius, in bringing to life a world filled with conflict that Tolkien brought back from his horrible experiences in WWI.

The estate has always been frosty New Line/Warner Bros and Jackson, and that might be a reason Amazon is keeping its distance. There is also the chance Jackson considers himself done with Middle Earth. If not, there might well be benefits in at least flying over to Wellington and seeing if all that R&D gleaned over nearly two decades has value, the way that the resuscitators of Star Wars picked the brain of George Lucas?

I spent a day once at WETA, trailing a barefoot Jackson as he practically tripped over the actual miniature models of Middle Earth landmarks that included Minas Tirith, Sauron’s Tower, Saruman’s Isengard fortress and all the incredible statues that were warehoused after being photographed and used in the three films. Those locations and VFX are done in computers, but Jackson built with his LOTR fees that studio and its production, VFX and post production facilities, where James Cameron is now shooting his four Avatar sequels. The Middle Earth exteriors are all over New Zealand. It would seem Jackson could be a useful ally.

Amazon’s precedent-setting investment in Tolkien’s Middle Earth hints at the earth shaking impact Silicon Valley will likely continue to have on the traditional businesses of TV and movies. But it appears that what the retailing giant has gotten for all that money is entry into a world lushly realized by Jackson, without the clear storytelling blueprint that Jackson had from Tolkien’s LOTR and Hobbit books. After Jackson’s six movies that grossed nearly $6 billion, wouldn’t it be wise to put him on the call sheet?
http://deadline.com/2017/11/lord-of-...os-1202207331/
Old 11-13-17, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F

Were these for the rights to the Simarillion? Or just the Lord of the Rings story/characters?
Old 11-13-17, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,472 Likes on 936 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
I would much prefer to see someone do a decent Dark Materials series then another Lord of the Rings thing.
LOTR made billions of dollars. Why do something new and untried when they can go back to the well?
Old 11-13-17, 07:06 PM

They didn't pay $200mil to just do an animated show.
Old 11-13-17, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,660 Likes on 2,628 Posts

I think they should at least ask Jackson, Walsh and Boyens if they're willing to be at least consultants on this production. This is a huge production for Amazon. They paid $250M just for the rights alone. Those guys have the experience and they don't really need to be hands on. That will be the new showrunners job.

This is going to be a huge undertaking for whoever they hire to be showrunner for this. Amazon doesn't want to fuck this up.

Pre-production, casting and the writing are at least going to take at least 1 year. So I don't think this will beginning filming until probably late 2018 or even 2019 at the soonest. And then there's post-production. I don't think we'll see this be ready for Amazon for at least 2 years, at worst 3.

This project is getting some pretty mixed comments on Facebook and other mediums. Some are asking why and others think that Amazon is wasting money. $250M is an insane amount of money to spend without even filming 1 frame yet.

Last edited by DJariya; 11-13-17 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-13-17, 09:28 PM
Banned

They didn't pay $200mil to just do an animated show.
"Just"? Who's to say this couldn't be done better in animation?
Old 11-13-17, 09:50 PM

I mean... I’ll say that.

Again. They didn’t make that kind of investment to go animated.
Old 11-14-17, 02:21 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Yea sure why not. I hope they ape Jackson's Middle Earth
Been done.

Old 11-14-17, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Me. They paid $250 million for the rights -- I'm sure they'll pay another 250 million to budget these multi-seasons. No way are they doing an animated version. I love animation but LOTR, going forward, deserves nothing less than a real adaption.
Old 11-14-17, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Me. They paid $250 million for the rights -- I'm sure they'll pay another 250 million to budget these multi-seasons. No way are they doing an animated version. I love animation but LOTR, going forward, deserves nothing less than a real adaption.
Bingo.
Old 11-14-17, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haven't read the non LOTR/Hobbit books, but are the other ones more nuanced in their storytelling, or would there be room for more complex characterizations? I love LOTR, but it's very simplistic, black and white, good vs evil type stuff. Not sure how that would play out in the age of Peak TV, which loves anti-heroes and shades of gray morality.
Old 11-14-17, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Haven't read the non LOTR/Hobbit books, but are the other ones more nuanced in their storytelling, or would there be room for more complex characterizations? I love LOTR, but it's very simplistic, black and white, good vs evil type stuff. Not sure how that would play out in the age of Peak TV, which loves anti-heroes and shades of gray morality.

The Silmarillion is dense.
Old 11-14-17, 03:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
This is the kind of attitude that keeps animation from being considered as a legitimate art form for adults in the west. It doesn't matter, half of it will probably be CG anyways, which is animation.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.