Supergirl (S3E03) -- "Far From the Tree" -- 10/23/17

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-17, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Supergirl (S3E03) -- "Far From the Tree" -- 10/23/17

MONDAY, OCTOBER 23

SUPERGIRL

"Far From the Tree" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, DLV) (HDTV)

CARLOS BERNARD ("24") GUEST STARS; HELEN SLATER RETURNS - Eliza (guest star Helen Slater) throws Alex (Chyler Leigh) and Maggie (guest star Floriana Lima) a wedding shower, which causes Maggie to reach out to her estranged father (guest star Carlos Bernard). Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) joins J'onn (David Harewood) on a personal mission. Dermott Downs directed the episode written by Jessica Queller & Derek Simon (#303). Original airdate 10/23/2017.
Old 10-24-17, 01:40 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Re: Supergirl (S3E03) -- "Far From the Tree" -- 10/23/17

This show is dead to me just like all those White Martians Supergirl killed this episode.
Old 10-24-17, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk God

There were so many things wrong with this episode. And I'm one of the few who doesn't give this show a weekly tongue lashing.

Maggie's Dad disowning her because she's Gay and still having a problem with it in 2017? Is he still living under a rock? And the last thing I needed to hear was all his homophobia and racism rhetoric. That was annoying. And did they really need to mention "The Wall" Good Lord.

Also, I understand J'onn and M'Gann taking human form because they've spent time on earth, especially J'onn taking the form of Hank Henshaw,

But, it made no sense for the other Martians in this episode to take human form, especially J'onn's father. Especially since he's been imprisoned for 200+ years. And he's conveniently played by a black actor (Carl Lumbly)

Only thing that I found somewhat amusing and chuckled a little was Supergirl driving J'onn's car listening to Britney with all the white martians strategizing.

J'onn's storyline with his father had good intentions, but Maggie's subplot with her father killed this episode for me.

I'm really curious how and when they are going to write out Floriana Lima from the show. Her character essentially ruined the show and it's season 1 fun.
Old 10-24-17, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The episode was ok. The main problem is the same as usual for me. They still don't know how to use people with super powers or they might not have had the budget for this episode. These guys on powers are equal to supergirl and maybe more powerful. We get no phasing, no mind attacks, no flight, and very few uses of super strength.

Other than power set of the bad guys I liked the episode. The actor that played John's father also voiced Martian Manhunter in the Justice League cartoon. Loved that they got him to play the dad. Kind of wish he stayed Martin until coming to Earth but the reason they gave was good enough and gave a good reason for why the other rebels were black.

I liked all the stuff with Alex and her partner but they are spending to much time on Alex. I would like to see some development on the other characters. Winn girlfriend joined the team and I'm not sure if she is still alive.
Old 10-24-17, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Worst episode of the series IMHO. Next week looks disappointing too. This show has become a chore to watch.
Old 10-24-17, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Mars is a bit easier to get to then I thought it would be.
Old 10-24-17, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Worst episode of the series IMHO. Next week looks disappointing too. This show has become a chore to watch.
Is it me, or does it seem like every other week we have the worst episode of the series? Seems like they keep finding ways to make it worse.
Old 10-25-17, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

I didn't mind the episode but I won't be watching the series anymore.
Old 10-25-17, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Every week I check this thread hoping the review is positive and the show has gotten back to it's S1 fun. This didn't seem to be the week either. A mention of a wall? Jesus WTF? It looks like the writers pick a Trump slam every week then say "OK we've got that, let's write the rest of the episode.
Old 10-25-17, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually enjoyed this one more than the others this season. Probably because I've always liked Carl Lumbly since Alias, and I thought the whole lesbian daughter/parents story was done well. Although I'm surprised they got Carlos Bernard to play the dickheaded dad).
Old 10-25-17, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

I’ve been an active participant in the comic book universe since I was four so I’m use to the political and social commentary. I’ve always appreciated it but this show...man...it keeps beating you over the head with it. I’m supportive of the message but at this point it’s even beyond preaching to the choir.
Old 10-25-17, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Just watched the second and third episodes after missing the first (darn Comcast!) so I'm a bit behind on who Odette Annable is, but I always like seeing her.

As the conversation developed, I thought Maggie's dad's rant was going to be about her marrying a Caucasian American rather than a woman. That would have been an unexpected turn, though probably not any better. I mean, I get that he tried in coming to the shower when his wife wouldn't, but realized he still had issues, but it all seemed really routine and obvious.
Old 10-25-17, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

The ratings have been brutal. It's now consistently performing below the other DC shows every week and provides no lead-in as Valor is getting some of the worst ratings in CW history.

Supergirl is destined now for a throwaway Friday slot. It was supposed to be counterprogramming to Monday Night Football. Syndication is the only thing that will get it renewed.
Old 10-25-17, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Too everyone.

What would you like to see them do to make it better?

I know someone that used to love this show in season one and once it hit CW everything went wrong for them.
Old 10-25-17, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger

Supergirl is destined now for a throwaway Friday slot. It was supposed to be counterprogramming to Monday Night Football. Syndication is the only thing that will get it renewed.
There is no syndication in the cards for these DC shows, including Supergirl. They are just building content for the CW's Netflix deal.

Syndication now only works for procedurals.
Old 10-25-17, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I know some people have complained that the show doesn't know how to create conflict for a near-god, but the comics have struggled with that for 80 years.
Old 10-25-17, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
Too everyone.

I know someone that used to love this show in season one and once it hit CW everything went wrong for them.
It has more to do with the tone of the show. The writers have always been fairly clumsy writing relationships. They started with something between James and Kara but then dropped it abruptly. S1 had an adorkable charm. it had Cat Grant and fear of being found out. Now she walks around in her suit all the time. The relationship stories have gotten worse.

I was so happy when the election was finally over. In the year since they have at least one line letting us know how upset they are with Trump. Maybe it was easier to write about the cold war. Maybe they had better writers. But Star Trek always included social commentary without being overtly political. Even the liberals on the board have been complaining about the constant political whining and poor writing around it.
Old 10-25-17, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bring back Cat, lose Jimmy and ALL the significant others (not just Maggie), and just focus on Supergirl working with the agency to bring down worthy villains. A multiple episode villain arc would be welcome, but not necessary if the one-offs are well done.
Old 10-25-17, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Too everyone.

1. Get rid of Maggie. She basically single handedly ruined the show and became the most noteworthy part of season 2 being a shit show. She interfered with the sister dynamic of Kara and Alex and helped the show basically become Alex Danvers Lesbian Adventures with Supergirl.

2. Get rid of Alex and James. Alex in season 1 was tough, sensitive and existed to protect Kara and humanize her. Alex of season 2 and 3 is whiny, over emotional, stupid and only exists to be a lesbian and right now that's her only trait.James had a purpose of being an older love interest for Kara but since then he has had no purpose at all.

3. Have the main cast just be Kara, Hank, Winn and Lena. It gives Kara a friend, a father figure and another friend/rival.

4. Focus on Kara's life as a reporter. It was one of the things that set the show apart from Flash and Arrow in that the show was as much about Kara trying to lead a daily life as it was about Supergirl.

5. Stop writing for the LBTQ community. They desperately tried to appeal to them in season 2 by making Alex a lesbian. Then the fans started pushing to turn Kara gay and put her with Lena, then they protested the show, called Melissa a homophobe and attacked Jeremy Jordan on Twitter for "mocking" Kena/Lara. Nothing positive on the show has come from writing for them and they need to stop.

6. Stop pushing liberal beliefs. I didn't watch this episode but there was no reason to make a comment about "The Wall'. Especially since in this show we have a super duper amazing woman president(who beat an evil man) so it makes no sense they would be building one.

7.Just let Melissa be charming. Melissa does for Supergirl what Chris Reeve did for Superman, but bad writing is really handcuffing Melissa's ability to be charming.

8. Have storylines that are thought out well and not just going all over the place(see season 2).

If they did all of that, then I think the show would have a chance to get back to that Season 1 magic.
Old 10-25-17, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk God

The Wall comment made by Carlos Bernard/Maggie's father in this episode made no sense considering the President of this Universe is Lynda Carter.

Seems like the writers of this episode just used it to take a shot at Trump for no apparent reason & his stance on immigration. Made no sense at all in the context of this show.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-25-17 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-25-17, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CW = Cater to Women shows.

CW has horrible shows, esp all the DC shows. Every show is aimed at teenage girls/women.
Old 10-25-17, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've drifted away from this show and haven't done any other research. For some of the people in tune with TV, is the general consensus the same as what we have here on this board? What are the different forums saying? The last I read the writers were so proud of this season yet it seems the numbers are dropping. I realize the 20 of us is anecdotal at best, but no one seems to really love the show any more. It's gone to mediocre at best after being largely positive the first season to season and a half.

I'm agreeing with Robin2099, especially #7. That was the strongest part. Benoist is cute and charming and when they had her struggling with trying to have a somewhat normal life while at the same time fighting very powerful aliens you could really root for her.
Old 10-25-17, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I’ve been recording, but not made the time to watch. I don’t feel like I am missing anything.
Old 10-25-17, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I can’t imagine the show has any conservative viewers left. I’m very liberal and can’t stand the politics anymore. Trump is not even President on this show! It’s a frikkin alien woman, so all these these trump digs don’t even make sense within the context of the show.
Old 10-25-17, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I definitely prefer watching Benoist being charming over punching aliens. I would totally watch her romcom or Hallmark movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.