Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor (S35E02) -- "I'm a Wild Banshee" -- 10/4/17

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-17, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,697 Likes on 2,657 Posts
Survivor (S35E02) -- "I'm a Wild Banshee" -- 10/4/17

TWO CASTAWAYS FIND A CLUE AND BEGIN SEARCHING FOR A COVETED IDOL, ON "SURVIVOR," WEDNESDAY, OCT. 4

"I'm a Wild Banshee" - Two castaways find a clue and begin searching for a coveted idol. Also, one castaway's annoying behavior could jeopardize their game, and romance is in the air for one pair of Healers, on SURVIVOR, Wednesday, Oct. 4 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

"LEVU"- HEROES TRIBE

Alan Ball

Ben Driebergen

John "JP" Hilsabeck

Chrissy Hofbeck

Ashley Nolan

Katrina Radke (1st Eliminated)
"SOKO"- HEALERS TRIBE

Jessica Johnston

Roark Luskin

Cole Medders

Joe Mena

Desiree "Desi" Williams

Mike Zahalsky

"YAWA"- HUSTLERS TRIBE

Patrick Bolton

Alexandrea "Ali" Elliott

Simone Nguyen

Devon Pinto

Lauren Rimmer

Ryan Ulrich
Old 10-05-17, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 171 Posts
Re: Survivor (S35E02) -- "I'm a Wild Banshee" -- 10/4/17

NObody??
Old 10-05-17, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

^ I think that about sums up this season so far.
Old 10-05-17, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts

Terrible season so far...
Old 10-05-17, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Didnt watch this episode last night, sounds like the right choice. I didnt care much for the first episode. May just cancel, since other shows are starting up.
Old 10-05-17, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

For an unscripted reality show, Survivor has become as formulaic as those CBS procedurals your grandma loves to watch. When you combine that with a particularly dull cast, what’s to talk about?
Old 10-05-17, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 274 Likes on 203 Posts

Survivor seasons with all new players always start out with a bunch of boring episodes. Hopefully it gets better as it goes along. I remember that Millennials Vs. Gen-X started out pretty boring but eventually became really good.
Old 10-05-17, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,040 Likes on 857 Posts

I think having only one challenge really hurt the pacing of the episode. The first half-hour was just a slog.
Old 10-05-17, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 282 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I think having only one challenge really hurt the pacing of the episode. The first half-hour was just a slog.
Agreed...a big reason to watch the show is seeing contestants compete in challenges, the drama back on the beach is my least favorite part of the show. At least the challenge was good, and the puzzle looked cool and deceptively easy. Also, once again the eye candy gets removed from the playing board super early in the season, but I should have known that was going to happen when we went from no attention on this contestant to a lot of focus this episode, which clearly meant she was doomed.
Old 10-05-17, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts

combining the immunity challenge with the bonus challenge is a crock. I want to see the challenges as separate events. Additionally, three tribes make for a snooze-fest... less personalities to clash.
Old 10-05-17, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

God, she was annoying. Glad she got voted off. Even her looks couldn't make up for her personality.
Old 10-05-17, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Survivor seasons with all new players always start out with a bunch of boring episodes.
Totally disagree. When the players are genuinely interesting people the season is often great right from the start. Look no further than the seasons that first featured multiple favorites that keep coming back. They were favorites from day one.

The difference as I see it is the casting folks seem to think that the audience will find these crazies they have been casting interesting. Not me. Tired of people who only stand out because they are crazy loose cannons or say/do stupid shit. Case in point... You've got an idol, strip and prove you don't! Look at me... I took a dump in the ocean. Look at me... I'm a crazy redhead.

I too like more challenges, but I can't say it would help when the cast is this lame.

Would it kill somebody to keep their getting the idol secret so they can use it correctly? At least Chrissy seems to be smart enough to possibly use the expired idol as a fake out later in the game.
Old 10-06-17, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Pretty boring two episodes in. Very few likable cast members so far.
Old 10-06-17, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 123 Likes on 96 Posts

Disagree with a lot of the consensous here,the challenges most of the time are the boringest part of the episode. They are usually the same type of challenges over and over usually a race to collect puzzle pieces.There's almost no stakes for a viewer for a reward challenge,even less so if their is less time to develop showing the contestants personalities.
Old 10-06-17, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez
Disagree with a lot of the consensous here,the challenges most of the time are the boringest part of the episode. They are usually the same type of challenges over and over usually a race to collect puzzle pieces.There's almost no stakes for a viewer for a reward challenge,even less so if their is less time to develop showing the contestants personalities.
Totally agree. For quite a few seasons now, once Probst says “Go!” I FF to the end of the challenge. If they mention something interesting happened in the recap/aftermath I might go back and watch, but that is pretty rare. When there are two challenges in an episode it’s a really short night, because I especially don’t care which team gets one of the numerous all-you-can-eat buffet meals on “Survivor.”
Old 10-06-17, 11:30 AM

Aaron, Bill, to be fair this season and I will include the last do not have very many interesting players (the last season was returning players, right...burned out on that format, and 98% of returning players are not nearly as interesting the second/third time around, as many of them were barely interesting players the first time up to bat), so yeah...I prefer to watch the challenges.

Another forum member noted that sometimes we get the vibe that the season could be hella good from the very first episode...yup, I remember that right out of the starting gate the first time Malcolm and Lisa Whelchel popped up on the show (Survivor Philippines) it was going to be a good season (and the cast only contained 3 returning members, so close enough to a new cast season in my book).

Hopefully this season gets more exciting to watch, but it already has a leg up on the last because it is all new players. I also agree with hdnmickey that even though the show tries to shy away from casting potentially bland contestants, much less casting of crazies please. Jeff, they are not nearly as much fun to watch as you think they are. Some of the "bland/initially shy" players are the ones that turn out to be the best contestants of all.
Old 10-06-17, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez
I zone out during comps, and this extends back for like the last half dozen seasons if not longer. Just no fucks given unless it's near the end and don't want someone to lose. Reward comps are a total waste. They should take a page from MTV Challenge comps, which are WAY more exciting and physical and thus interesting to watch.
Old 10-06-17, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Finisher
I zone out during comps, and this extends back for like the last half dozen seasons if not longer. Just no fucks given unless it's near the end and don't want someone to lose. Reward comps are a total waste. They should take a page from MTV Challenge comps, which are WAY more exciting and physical and thus interesting to watch.
Reward comps oftentimes serve two purposes, one, they do provide an immediate luxury, and two, especially in the back half of the game, the reward comp is often used by Jeff to try and shake up the game by getting tribes to reveal who they feel belongs on the bottom of the totem pole.

We have seen how these revelations of where players actually stand can make the game interesting again as it renews certain tribe members vigor to go hard at the challenges and to try and make deals to blindside those who feel they are not worth taking to the final tribal council.

The more that I think about it...it is the deliberate casting of crazies that drives me up a wall, even if the crazies were okay game players it would still be refreshing if the powers that be shied away from casting the loons. You will notice I am being a hypocrite when it comes to looks...lots of bland players were clearly cast because they look smoking hot and I am not asking for less of that.

However, even then more of an effort to find the next Parvati could occur behind the scenes, she looks good and it was known from the get-go that she was more than capable of taking care of business...more hot bod casting decisions like that please.
Old 10-06-17, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 157 Posts

I think what happened on Wednesday's show is the continued attempt to course correct where the show went wrong about 15 cycles ago and to show us at least something on all of the contestants. A sort of laying the ground work episode. These episodes happen if there isn't anything particularly compelling going on along with an obvious boot target in the tribe going to council. I expect we will see a tribe mix-up in the next couple of weeks.

I think there are a handful of potentially interesting players we haven't really seen have to play yet.