DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Curb Your Enthusiasm (HBO) -- Season 9 Thread -- Premieres 10/1/17 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/641596-curb-your-enthusiasm-hbo-season-9-thread-premieres-10-1-17-a.html)

Nth Power 10-09-17 08:22 PM

Re: Curb Your Enthusiasm (HBO) -- Season 9 Thread -- Premieres 10/1/17

"Chappie Johnson"
"That's a black man's name. Fucking love it"
:lol:

The show could be Larry and Leon B.S.ing the whole episode and it would be awesome.

Mike86 10-10-17 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper (Post 13176827)
Not as funny as the premiere, but still good. I watch these things multiple times.

I love how much Leon is in this season.

I actually liked the second episode a bit more than the premiere. To me it had more classic feeling Curb moments in it.

movieking 10-10-17 04:29 PM

Second not as funny as the first, but the first was one of the best ever, IMO.

buckeyes8604 10-10-17 05:53 PM

2 great episodes so far. It looks like the fatwa storyline may continue for the whole season.

Luds 10-11-17 08:41 AM

Pretty good episode other than the security guy stuff.

uteotw 10-11-17 11:40 AM

I liked it much better than the first, and I think there could be some great mileage out of Cheryl dating Ted. (Too funny Funkhauser took a run at her too.) Not too long ago I watched the one from S6 where Ted was "Anonymous," and Larry was annoyed with all the calls and touching between Cheryl and Ted, and I hope they keep that story line running.

Mike86 10-15-17 10:44 PM

:lol: at Elizabeth Banks' bad lying to the cop at the end. She was great in the episode. Another good episode overall. Loved the restaurant manager who wouldn't answer questions and the stuff with Larry and the police officer and in court. Cool seeing Salman Rushdie guest star too.

andicus 10-15-17 11:14 PM

"Where was she?"
"At her boyfriend's."
"No she wasn't!"

And the return of the 'dunkey.'

Decker 10-16-17 12:38 AM

Good stuff!
I've loved Elizabeth Banks since I first saw her on Scrubs. She's a riot.

They're right about the Tesla horn, BTW. It's loud and obnoxious.

McHawkson 10-16-17 02:36 PM

Have anyone ever tried to horn at police and get ticket? I have never heard of that.

Decker 10-16-17 03:23 PM

Can I just say how miraculous it feels to have this show back without missing a single beat. After watching how mightily Arrested Development struggled coming back trying to bring everyone up to speed and reintegrate the cast, seeing this show just roll out one winner after another with entirely the regular cast as if they were just off for a Summer hiatus instead of seven years gone by is quite stunning. I'm really enjoying having it back.

GuessWho 10-16-17 03:34 PM

It's been pretty, pretty, pretty good.

Mike86 10-16-17 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13183151)
Can I just say how miraculous it feels to have this show back without missing a single beat. After watching how mightily Arrested Development struggled coming back trying to bring everyone up to speed and reintegrate the cast, seeing this show just roll out one winner after another with entirely the regular cast as if they were just off for a Summer hiatus instead of seven years gone by is quite stunning. I'm really enjoying having it back.

I think part of the problem with Arrested Development was the format they went with for season four. Rather than it being like it was when it originally aired on Fox having every character's story basically be self reliant with little scenes of multiple main characters together hurt it.

With Curb Your Enthusiasm it's just back as it was only it's been years in between seasons.

Jack Straw 10-16-17 09:26 PM

With the exception of "the Fatwa brothers" line, I thought this episode was pretty bland and sub-par. They should have at least mentioned the existence of this adopted girl in the prior two shows. Was hard to believe that she was someone of any meaningful degree of importance given that she wasn't even in the CYE universe. Hoping that next week's show regains some momentum that was lost this week.

Decker 10-16-17 09:33 PM

A Little Sister is not an adopted child, just a kid who another adult spends some time with and mentors.

Bill Needle 10-17-17 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jack Straw (Post 13183387)
With the exception of "the Fatwa brothers" line, I thought this episode was pretty bland and sub-par. They should have at least mentioned the existence of this adopted girl in the prior two shows. Was hard to believe that she was someone of any meaningful degree of importance given that she wasn't even in the CYE universe. Hoping that next week's show regains some momentum that was lost this week.

I agree. The Susie stuff was gold (as always) but the rest of the episode was just pretty, pretty, pretty OK.

bunkaroo 10-17-17 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by andicus (Post 13182642)
And the return of the 'dunkey.'

Can you refresh my memory on this please?

Gunde 10-18-17 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13183151)
Can I just say how miraculous it feels to have this show back without missing a single beat...

I wish I could agree. I think I've maybe laughed once during the 3 first episode. Yeah, it's amusing and nice to have back, but it's not laugh-out-load-hilarious anymore...

Chrisedge 10-18-17 12:12 PM

Not feeling this season, AT ALL.

TerryW 10-18-17 12:26 PM

So many solid gold moments in this episode. Too many to mention.

slop101 10-18-17 12:34 PM

Why would the guy hired to protect Larry want to beat him up?

mcnabb 10-18-17 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisedge (Post 13184796)
Not feeling this season, AT ALL.

I stopped posting in this thread because I was one of the few dissenters about this season, and didn't want to sound like a negative nelly.

I honestly think the show 'Jumped the Shark' as it has been terrible this season, with the exception of Leon. I say this as a lifelong Seinfeld and CYE fan, but there have been very few laughs in the first 3 episodes, and everything feels forced.

andicus 10-18-17 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 13184436)
Can you refresh my memory on this please?

It was mentioned when he was doing his diatribe about Cousin Andy when he forgot his lines during The Producers.

He mentioned the benefits of the turban, one being that it could be used as a blindfold for an impromptu game of "Pin the tail on the 'dunkey.'" I can't remember if it was mentioned otherwise, but I have a feeling it was.

He even alludes the the odd pronunciation after he says it in the episode, saying it's a Brooklyn thing.

bunkaroo 10-18-17 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by andicus (Post 13185012)
It was mentioned when he was doing his diatribe about Cousin Andy when he forgot his lines during The Producers.

He mentioned the benefits of the turban, one being that it could be used as a blindfold for an impromptu game of "Pin the tail on the 'dunkey.'" I can't remember if it was mentioned otherwise, but I have a feeling it was.

He even alludes the the odd pronunciation after he says it in the episode, saying it's a Brooklyn thing.

Thanks! - I’ll have to check that episode out again.

bunkaroo 10-18-17 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by mcnabb (Post 13184852)
I stopped posting in this thread because I was one of the few dissenters about this season, and didn't want to sound like a negative nelly.

I honestly think the show 'Jumped the Shark' as it has been terrible this season, with the exception of Leon. I say this as a lifelong Seinfeld and CYE fan, but there have been very few laughs in the first 3 episodes, and everything feels forced.

I’m feeling the same way.

There’s some funny stuff but it doesn’t feel effortless or improvised like the older ones. My girlfriend has never seen the series so we’ve been catching up. We’re on season 2 right now and watching her reactions to S2 vs. S9 are pretty telling.

I thought the Rushdie stuff was good. He was actually very good with his delivery.