Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Orville (FOX) -- Season 1 Thread -- S: MacFarlane, Palicki -- Premieres 9/10/17

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Orville (FOX) -- Season 1 Thread -- S: MacFarlane, Palicki -- Premieres 9/10/17

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-17, 01:48 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Re: The Orville (FOX) -- Season 1 Thread -- S: MacFarlane, Palicki -- Premieres 9/10/

Originally Posted by Deftones
I'm Ed Mercer.....from the Jehovah's Witnesses.
I love those little throwaway lines. Like when he confronted the guard in front of the government building - "Remember me? Ed, from the lacrosse team?"

This is solid Trek-like entertainment. I'm sticking with this show for the long haul (assuming there is a long haul).
Old 09-29-17, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: The Orville (FOX) -- Season 1 Thread -- S: MacFarlane, Palicki -- Premieres 9/10/

Great episode but I've been a fan since episodes 1, so...
Old 09-29-17, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I hate when the networks air shit out of order. And it's doubly obvious that this one is out of order because the Borden storyline makes no sense after last week, and there's no baby, and the Norm McDonald gelatinous character is first seen hitting on the doctor in this episode, whereas in the last episode she alludes to a pattern of being hit on and is exasperated by it.

Little things? Yes, but still annoying. And there's just no reason to air these out of production order. It's not like the alien zoo episode HAD to be the second episode aired.
The baby is shown in a crib at the foot of the bed in opening scene.
Old 09-29-17, 06:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
The baby is shown in a crib at the foot of the bed in opening scene.
It is?? I completely missed that.
Old 09-29-17, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
Excellent cameos too from several great actors.
I'm still shocked Liam Neeson appeared on my screen while watching The Orville. There is some history there, though. Liam has done voice work on Family Guy. And now next week we get
Spoiler:
Charlize Theron.
Old 09-29-17, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

He was also in A Million Way to Die in the West as a major part.
Old 09-29-17, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

He also had a random ass cameo in Ted 2

Last edited by RichC2; 09-29-17 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-29-17, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod
Interesting episode. Kind of like "For the world is hollow and I have touched the sky". Not really a unique story but I thought it was a fun episode with a few funny lines. Some guest stars. I'm enjoying the ride
I thought it was more a mash up of the old Canadian TV series The Starlost and the TOS episode "The Return of the Archons," but can see the influence of "For the World is Hollow..." episode as well.

I can still do without all the penis/dick jokes - they're not the least bit funny and need to be excised. In spite of those I did get a few laughs out of this episode and felt it's one of the stronger ones so far (along with E3 last week). If E5 keeps it up I'll give up "live" viewing and just get the DVD set.
Old 09-30-17, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod
Interesting episode. Kind of like "For the world is hollow and I have touched the sky". Not really a unique story but I thought it was a fun episode with a few funny lines.
Actually, there was an old story printed in one of the pulp science fiction magazines like Astounding or Galaxy that had the same basic concept - people on a multi-generational colonization ship forget that they're on a ship and create a religion where, "The ship is all." It was turned into an episode of Dimension X or X-Minus One on radio (I think it was Dimension X, but I'm not 100% sure - I just remember the episode well).

Like this episode, those who believed in a world outside the ship were called heretics and faced severe punishment. "For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky," borrowed liberally from that story. As did this one.

edit -

It was X Minus One, from April 24, 1956:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yKZdK1YMj9A?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's nowhere near the best episode of the series (probably in the bottom 1/3), but the concept is clearly what influenced both the Star Trek and Orville episodes.

Doing further research, it's actually a reworking of this story from May 15, 1955...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/todh6uqKQbo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This one was based on a Heinlein story. That story may be the source for all the stories like this.

(Still not one of the best episodes of the series, though... Dimension X and X Minus One were both usually very well written and acted.)

Last edited by B5Erik; 09-30-17 at 02:19 AM.
Old 09-30-17, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
It is?? I completely missed that.
At very beginning. An extreme long shot from above that shows entire bed and at the foot is tiny crib.
Old 09-30-17, 08:42 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Seth MacFarlane must spend a lot of his off-time reading a lot of classic sci-fi. Between last week's Ursala K. LeGuin influenced (stolen) episode and this week's, well, I guess it's hard to come up with original ideas in sci-fi at this point...
Old 09-30-17, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Seth MacFarlane must spend a lot of his off-time reading a lot of classic sci-fi. Between last week's Ursala K. LeGuin influenced (stolen) episode and this week's, well, I guess it's hard to come up with original ideas in sci-fi at this point...
Why bother? The whole show is homage to other shows and stories. They're not trying to break ground here; They're a cover band. They're a good band performing
and making you re-appreciate the original as well as enjoying a new take on it. And then Sethifying it.

P.S. OK, how do I get the forum to leave my youtube links alone?
Old 09-30-17, 09:49 AM
Banned

I feel like I'm watching TNG with Brian from Family Guy as captain.
Old 09-30-17, 09:52 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

That's what makes it good.
Old 09-30-17, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I have never watched Family Guy, and I still love this show.
Old 09-30-17, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC
Why bother? The whole show is homage to other shows and stories. They're not trying to break ground here; They're a cover band. They're a good band performing and making you re-appreciate the original as well as enjoying a new take on it. And then Sethifying it.
I think this is a pretty accurate take on the series so far. And despite that last episode being essentially a repeat of the standard "religion that replaces reality" storyline, I thought it was well executed. And them being able to get quality guest stars, off what I would guess is some kind of personal connection, is a big bonus.
Old 09-30-17, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They must have lost a bet on a Million Ways to Die in the West.
Old 09-30-17, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I am warming to this show. I like the crew. Some of it is juvenile, but some of it is actually funny and insightful. They seem like real people. I loved Palicki getting a pot brownie. I loved seeing people replicating just normal shit like clothes and a lamp, rather than "tea, Earl Grey, hot". I liked the complete panic of the security officer when she needed to take command and replicated a belt of tequila. That actually felt more genuine than a lot of things in real star trek. Not all the jokes hit, but some do. I also really like that they will build to these same narrative beats and then turn it into something funny. Like when the first office said the famous quote from his planet and then said something like "you are now supposed to share some literature from your culture" It was exactly the same beat you'd expect in TNG, but in TNG Picard would get all serious and recite some Shakespeare to profound music. CBS went entirely the wrong way with Discovery, and the Orville makes that crystal clear. It is more Star Trek than Discovery. Which is sad. Looks like ratings actually turned out pretty solid for the last showing after all.
Old 09-30-17, 11:49 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I too enjoy it. i just think, given its large cast and likely impressive FX budget it has to be a pretty big hit to stick around. Hope it does.
Old 09-30-17, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

That is an utterly perfect encapsulation of The Orville.

I'm still not sure why they have the Captain paired with his ex-wife as commanders on the ship. It's a strange concept for a television show and they could have gone in any direction with those two characters if they had a different history together.

This latest episode wasn't bad, it was probably the most likable episode yet.

Anyone else bothered by how poor the Robot's costume that hangs around the bridge is? It's 1970's Doctor Who bad. The budget for it must have been $300. I've seen better cosplay put together in a weekend.
Old 09-30-17, 02:25 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

I like the goofy looking android, and I actually thought Brent Spiner voiced it until I looked the show up on imdb
Old 09-30-17, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
I like the goofy looking android, and I actually thought Brent Spiner voiced it until I looked the show up on imdb

Yup, I thought Spiner did the voice, as well.
Old 09-30-17, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've seen a lot of comments on this being big budget, but I still don't see it. If I had to guess, I'd say it had only a slightly higher budget than that of a Stargate show.
Old 09-30-17, 02:34 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
I've seen a lot of comments on this being big budget, but I still don't see it. If I had to guess, I'd say it had only a slightly higher budget than that of a Stargate show.
big cast, very decent looking practical and CGI special effects, some elaborate set pieces... I'd say it's got a hefty price tag for a pilot season relatively speaking.
Old 09-30-17, 04:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TGM

I tend to think that they took some inspiration from Marvin in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy in designing that robot. MacFarlane clearly has read it at any rate.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.