Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Twin Peaks (S1E17/E18) -- Season Finale -- "The Return - Part 17 & 18" -- 9/3/17

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Twin Peaks (S1E17/E18) -- Season Finale -- "The Return - Part 17 & 18" -- 9/3/17

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-21, 06:25 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Twin Peaks (S1E17/E18) -- Season Finale -- "The Return - Part 17 & 18" -- 9/3/17

Originally Posted by ben12
This was never going to be a continuation of the old show. Anyone who expected that was fooling themselves.
Anyone who didn’t think it would be Twin Peaks is fooling themselves. He brought back almost the entire original cast that was still alive. Why wouldn’t it be about Twin Peaks?
The following users liked this post:
MysterioMan007 (04-13-21)
Old 04-13-21, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts
Re: Twin Peaks (S1E17/E18) -- Season Finale -- "The Return - Part 17 & 18" -- 9/3/17

This was never going to be a continuation of the old show. Anyone who expected that was fooling themselves.
Say what?
Old 04-13-21, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Especially the Showtime executives who put up money to make a new Twin Peaks series!
Old 04-13-21, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Matto1020
Then why call it "Twin Peaks?" This series definitely felt like a huge bait and switch.

It was like Lynch was too afraid to either make a full on continuation (which everyone wanted) or a complete reboot, and instead tried to do both. If they had set this series up as a complete reboot but just set in the town of Twin Peaks, with new characters and new situations, I think it would have been better received. People would have known what they were getting into. But the marketing told a completely different story... images of Cooper and Laura Palmer with the tagline, "It is happening again." Teasing the return of all these characters people loved, only to be given them in tiny, and very weird doses.
I don't know what to tell you. The third season had everything I loved about Twin Peaks. I never really cared who killed Laura Palmer. The show wasn't about that. For the Return, everyone wanted to see Cooper again. Not only did he not give us Cooper, he taunted us about it. I love that shit. Dougie was great, too. It's what the show was all along. If you enjoyed other aspects of it, that's great, but that's not what the show was. You shouldn't really follow the marketing for shows like this. The marketers will do or say whatever they think will get people to watch. I avoided all that stuff and was not disappointed with what I got.
Old 04-14-21, 12:46 AM
Suspended

I don't know what to tell you. The third season had everything I loved about Twin Peaks. I never really cared who killed Laura Palmer. The show wasn't about that. For the Return, everyone wanted to see Cooper again. Not only did he not give us Cooper, he taunted us about it. I love that shit. Dougie was great, too. It's what the show was all along. If you enjoyed other aspects of it, that's great, but that's not what the show was. You shouldn't really follow the marketing for shows like this. The marketers will do or say whatever they think will get people to watch. I avoided all that stuff and was not disappointed with what I got.
Yes Mr Lynch.
The following users liked this post:
MysterioMan007 (04-14-21)
Old 04-14-21, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You're entitled to your condescending opinion....I just don't know how anyone who liked the original show could've expected what we got, marketing or no marketing.
Old 04-16-21, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
You're entitled to your condescending opinion....I just don't know how anyone who liked the original show could've expected what we got, marketing or no marketing.
David Lynch.

I'm not trying to be condescending, but if you tuned in for the soap opera, that's what the show was making fun of. That original show was making fun of the kind of TV that was out at the time. TV has changed, so the returning season would always have had to be different.
Old 04-16-21, 06:38 PM
Suspended

David Lynch.

I'm not trying to be condescending, but if you tuned in for the soap opera, that's what the show was making fun of. That original show was making fun of the kind of TV that was out at the time. TV has changed, so the returning season would always have had to be different.
What?

Everything to everyone indicated this was TWIN PEAKS. A big deal was made about securing almost all the original cast that was still alive that wanted to come back - several of which died during filming/airing/right after.

This is not like a reboot of 90210 when it was clear it was in the same universe but a new cast. All the advertising, showtime, Lynch etc.
Old 04-16-21, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

David Lynch.

I tuned in to find out what happened to Cooper and see what became of the characters of Twin Peaks in the ensuing years and wash my hands of that cliffhanger. We find out what happened to Cooper, but I didn't like those answers an felt it took way too long for Dougie to "wake up". I was particularly annoyed at the treatment of Audrey's character after being such a major character in the original show. First, at how long it took her to appear, and then, with not getting any update on her. I think they did the best with BOB they could have, given that the original actor passed away. To me, it seemed like David Lynch wanted to make a fresh new movie and tried to do that disguised as a new season of Twin Peaks.

I never tuned in for the soap opera, but I did tune in for the characters and the town. In a show called Twin Peaks, the town of Twin Peaks should actually have more screen time than it got. Bobby was the only character who I felt was improved by The Return.
Old 06-10-22, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Julee Cruise, singer and frequent David Lynch collaborator, dies aged 65