Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Sinner (USA) -- anthology series -- EP: Jessica Biel, S: Bill Pullman

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-17, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
re: The Sinner (USA) -- anthology series -- EP: Jessica Biel, S: Bill Pullman

I thought the ending WAS a little jaw dropping because the parents essentially knew all along why she killed their son, and I cant imagine anyone was expecting her to be held hostage there. I think maybe since we knew so much of the events except for location of her captivity it just felt a little flat, but I was a little surprised. There needed to be a bit more interaction/time with the parents to really get the full impact I think. Would definitely watch a series with the Pullman character.
Old 09-25-17, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like the entire season. I tend to think shows work better with a tight 8-13 eps max. This show did a good job of keeping the audience in the dark as to what was going on. Sure over all it was not this ground breaking **gasp** level outcome or anything but it was still not the direction I expected.

and while some say it did not really wrap up, in a way it did being the court case played out and we had an outcome. That's the end of the story. A whole lot of dateline murder stories end exactly the same way. This, this, that and....... we get a court case and the story is over.
Old 09-25-17, 07:27 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

it wasn't bad, but Pullman's fat dominatrix fetish storyline was pointless filler.
Old 09-26-17, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

http://www.usanetwork.com/thesinner/...-season-finale

Expect a second season announcement soon. Apparently the finale got really good numbers.
Old 09-26-17, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Those are Live + Same Day ratings. Big jump for the finale, the show has been doing excellent on Live+7, basically tripling its demo rating (from 0.5 to 1.5) and gaining 150% in viewers (from 1.8m to 4.6m).
Old 09-26-17, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

Expect a second season announcement soon. Apparently the finale got really good numbers.
WTH? Maybe they can spend season 2 filling in the plot holes.

Upon reflection there are a lot of questions that went unanswered in the show. Her Mom at one point says her sister died the day after she left or the like yet she was buried in the woods for some time. someone else mentioned the "special stab pattern" seen twice. I know there were other things but off the top those were the biggest ones for me.

IDK in the end I didn't feel it added up to something I would want to re-watch and I don't see a reason for a season 2.
Old 09-27-17, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

What would it even be about? The story is 100% wrapped up except for the gaping plot holes, which at this point don't need filling.
Old 09-27-17, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
What would it even be about? The story is 100% wrapped up except for the gaping plot holes, which at this point don't need filling.
I understand it will be a completely different story featuring Affable Bill Pullman's character. Of course, since they'll keep the title, does that make him "The Sinner"?
Old 09-27-17, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
I understand it will be a completely different story featuring Affable Bill Pullman's character. Of course, since they'll keep the title, does that make him "The Sinner"?
Jessica Biel was on Chelsea Handlers Netflix Show a few weeks back (before they renewed the show) and was asked about a 2nd season. She said 'many' characters stories still needed to be told (I was assuming Pullman's character), and she even hinted that Cora's story maybe wasn't over. Again, she was speculating as I don't think she had any idea of a plan after Season 1.

I think it's a bad idea if they continue with the characters from Season 1 as this was a nice self contained story and should leave it at that.
Old 09-27-17, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I think it's a bad idea if they continue with the characters from Season 1 as this was a nice self contained story and should leave it at that.
That, and it was framed as an "Event Series" which is code for "one-and-done" and I they may have been surprised that it did as well as it did. I wasn't going to bother, but some positive comments and it's surprising success pushed me to try it out after it was halfway through. I imagine a lot of what was said during and right after it's run is just "vamping".
Old 09-27-17, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

I am all for them figuring out a way to shoehorn Jessica Biel into a second season. More Jessica Biel on TV is always good in my book and she was actually good in this. She seems to acknowledge that what we call plot holes are characters with stories yet to be told, and I for one could see things like an entire episode being devoted to what caused the guy who held Cora captive to become a creepy drug injecting kidnapper.

Of course, it might also be interesting to learn more about why Pullman feels the need to punish himself by partaking of a dominatrix's services. Heck, there is more to learn about the connection Cora's husband has with the female cop...lots of stuff that could provide some connective tissue between this season and next even if they deviate from the book and introduce a new murder mystery.
Old 09-27-17, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

spoilers follow for those who have not watched yet.

The penultimate episode was the more "shocking" to me, although one might also refer to it as a "major plot hole". I didn't imagine that Phoebe was with Cora on the night in question, or that her body was in the shallow grave (thought it was JD's ex). All along I'd been thinking that Phoebe dies at home when Cora was out fucking around, and her parents guilt her for not being with her family. She gets disowned, runs off with JD, you know the rest. While it's good that they didn't go with the more predictable route, now we have to believe that the parents were never looking for Phoebe, who they clearly favored over Cora??

I did like the actress who played Phoebe though, she made her very likable in her final episode. She was kind of annoying and weird in previous eps.
Old 10-01-17, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
Did I miss something?

Spoiler:
The parents mentioned that Cora missed her sister's funeral. How did they think she died after what was revealed on the latest episode.
Just finished tonight and I still don't get this part.
Old 10-08-17, 12:53 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Will this be streaming on any service soon?
Old 10-08-17, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Will this be streaming on any service soon?
The entire season is still available for streaming on the USA app and on demand right now.

The season barely just ended, it's way too early for a 3rd party to carry it.
Old 11-23-17, 09:06 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

So, any expected release date for this on a stream service?
Old 03-16-18, 01:47 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Without Biel, who gives a shit?

It’s official — USA Network has ordered an eight-episode second season of its praised drama series The Sinner, from Universal Cable Production.

Talks about ways of bringing back the Jessica Biel-starring and executive produced limited series started right after its strong ratings start. The Simmer ranked as the top new cable series of 2017, with its ratings steadily growing throughout its initial run. Additionally, the mystery drama also was well received by critics, triggering conversations about a potential second installment focused largely on Bill Pullman’s character.

Season 2 lures Detective Harry Ambrose (Pullman) back to his hometown in rural New York to assess an unsettling and heart wrenching crime — parents murdered by their 11-year-old son, with no apparent motive. As Ambrose realizes there’s nothing ordinary about the boy or where he came from, the investigation pulls him into the hidden darkness of his hometown. He’s pitted against those who’ll stop at nothing to protect its secrets — and a mysterious woman who proves to be a complicated, enigmatic piece to this haunting puzzle.

There is no word about Biel reprising her role but there had been talk about her character Cora making an appearance in Season 2.

Derek Simonds will return for Season 2 as executive producer and showrunner, along with Biel and Michelle Purple, who executive produce through their Iron Ocean banner, and Charlie Gogolak as executive producer. Brad Winters will also serve as executive producer. Antonio Campos, who directed the first three episodes of season 1, will return to direct and executive produce the first two episodes.

“The Sinner was a huge success for USA Network,” said Chris McCumber, President, Entertainment Networks for NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment. “In our second season, we’ll follow Detective Ambrose as he tracks his newest “why-dunnit,” while staying true to the unique, edge-of-your-seat storytelling that captivated audiences and critics alike.”

The first installment of The Sinner earned two Golden Globe nominations (for Best Television Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television and Best Performance by an Actress in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television for Biel), and 2 Critics’ Choice Award nominations (for Best Actor in a Movie Made for TV or Limited Series, and Best Actress in a Movie Made for TV or Limited Series).

“Jessica, Derek, and team created a mesmeric and compelling world in the first installment of The Sinner,” said Dawn Olmstead and George Cheeks, Co-Presidents, Universal Cable Productions and Wilshire Studios. “We are very proud of the series they have developed and it is with great excitement that we, along with our partners at USA Network, announce a new chapter in Detective Ambrose’s story, played once again by the incomparable Bill Pullman, as he embarks on a gripping new mystery.”

In ordering a second season, The Sinner is taking a page from Big Little Lies‘ playbook. Both started as limited series based on a book, with their success triggering second installments.
http://deadline.com/2018/03/the-sinn...an-1202339383/
Old 03-16-18, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

The Simmer? Is it going to be about a cook?
Old 03-16-18, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I already forget how the story played out in this one. Doubt I'll bother to check out season 2, even with the good cast.
Old 03-16-18, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Noonan
I already forget how the story played out in this one. Doubt I'll bother to check out season 2, even with the good cast.
Biel's character Cora was exonerated for the murder when it was revealed the man she killed had some dark tie-in to her past.
Old 03-16-18, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Right. That whole sex dungeon thing...I don't recall how the victim played into it though. I only remember the song being her trigger. Doesn't matter at this point anyway.
Old 03-16-18, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk God

It sounds like they have a story in place for season 2. But, it looks like Pullman's main co-star will be a kid. And I know how this forum loves child actors.
Old 03-16-18, 04:22 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

nah, I'm good.
Old 05-04-18, 10:18 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Carrie Coon (Gone Girl) has been tapped as the female lead opposite Bill Pullman for the second installment of USA Network’s breakout drama series The Sinner. Also set for starring roles in Season 2 of the show, from Universal Cable Productions and producer Jessica Biel who played the female lead in the first season, are Natalie Paul (The Deuce) and Hannah Gross (Mindhunters).

Season 2 lures Detective Harry Ambrose (Pullman) back to his hometown in rural New York to assess an unsettling and heart wrenching crime — parents murdered by their 11-year-old son, with no apparent motive. As Ambrose realizes there’s nothing ordinary about the boy or where he came from, the investigation pulls him into the hidden darkness of his hometown. He’s pitted against those who’ll stop at nothing to protect its secrets — and a mysterious woman who proves to be a complicated, enigmatic piece to this haunting puzzle.

Coon will play Vera, a formidable, mysterious woman who struggles between upholding the ideals of the community she leads and fulfilling her own desires.

Paul will portray Heather, a detective in training from Ambrose’s hometown. She ends up calling Ambrose to consult on a double homicide with no clear motive.

Gross will play Marin, Heather’s high school best friend who disappeared from town years ago in a cloud of mystery.

Jessica Biel will executive produce Season 2 alongside Derek Simonds, Charlie Gogolak, Michelle Purple, Brad Winters and John Coles. The series is slated to return in August.

The first installment of The Sinner earned two Golden Globe nominations (for Best Television Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television and Best Performance by an Actress in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television for Biel), and 2 Critics’ Choice Award nominations (for Best Actor in a Movie Made for TV or Limited Series, and Best Actress in a Movie Made for TV or Limited Series)

Coon, who had a breakout role opposite Ben Affleck in Gone Girl, most recently co-starred in Avengers: Infinity War and Stephen Spielberg’s The Post alongside Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks. She’ll next star in the upcoming films Kin and Steve McQueen’s heist thriller Widows. On TV, Coon won the first ever double TCA Award for Individual Achievement in Drama for her work on both The Leftovers and Fargo. Coon is repped by UTA, Foundation Talent Management and Peikoff Mahan Law Office.

Paul is best known for her role on HBO’s The Deuce. She also starred in Sundance award winner Crown Heights opposite Lakeith Stanfield. She most recently recurred on Black Rest, You, Power, Luke Cage and miniseries Show Me a Hero. She’s repped by Gersh.

Most recently, Gross can be seen on crime drama Mindhunters, directed by David Fincher. Additional credits include Unless, Marjorie Prime, I Used to be Darker and Christmas, Again. Gross will star in the upcoming independent features Colewell, directed by Tom Quinn, and Rick Alverson’s The Mountain. She’s repped by ICM Partners and Authentic Management’s Jane Berliner.
http://deadline.com/2018/05/the-sinn...el-1202382397/
Old 05-04-18, 04:45 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

nah. I'm good. Bill Pullman wasn't the draw for me for this show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.