DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Sinner (USA) -- anthology series -- EP: Jessica Biel, S: Bill Pullman (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/640920-sinner-usa-anthology-series-ep-jessica-biel-s-bill-pullman.html)

dex14 08-02-17 06:48 AM

The Sinner (USA) -- anthology series -- EP: Jessica Biel, S: Bill Pullman

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....wMzI@._V1_.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7narsOAt4Zg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

An eight-episode series, THE SINNER follows a young mother (Jessica Biel) who, overcome by an inexplicable fit of rage, commits a startling act of violence and to her horror has no idea why. The event launches an inverted and utterly surprising crime thriller whose driving force is not the "who" or the "what" -- but the "why" -- as an investigator (Bill Pullman) finds himself obsessed with uncovering the woman's buried motive. Produced by Universal Cable Productions, the series premieres Wednesday, August 2 at 10/9c.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Abby Miller as Caitlin Sullivan
· Bill Pullman as Harry Ambrose
· Chris Abbott as Mason Tannetti
· Dohn Norwood as Dan Leroy
· Jessica Biel as Cora Tanner

CREW INFORMATION:
· Antonio Campos as EP/DIR (Pilot)
· Derek Simonds as CRTR/EP
· Jessica Biel as EP
· Michelle Purple as EP
· Petra Hammesfahr as BOOK
8 episodes.

DJariya 08-02-17 02:56 PM

re: The Sinner (USA) -- anthology series -- EP: Jessica Biel, S: Bill Pullman

I've seen promos for this on USA since early May. I am intrigued by it. Plus it's a super short season, so it shouldn't be too hard to make time for.

Pullman looks really old like how he looked in the Independence Day sequel.

DWilson 08-02-17 06:13 PM

If the show continues to a second season, Pullman would continue with an entirely different case.

stvn1974 08-02-17 10:02 PM

I liked it well enough to continue.

mcnabb 08-03-17 07:50 PM

That was actually pretty good, as I'm interested to see her backstory and what led up to her going apeshit.

Osiris3657 08-05-17 04:25 PM

Feel the same as most, this surpassed my expectations. I would have watched only for Jessica Biel, but this is actually good.

OldBoy 08-09-17 04:59 PM

getting great reviews and people i've talked to have been loving it and totally hooked, after what? 1 ep. i will check it out on DVR sometime...

Inhumans99 08-11-17 01:55 PM

Oldboy...it really is good, I have fallen behind on so many shows on my tivos, but I made the effort to watch the firsts two eps not long after they aired and will continue to make the effort as the show is good and I do not want to let the eps sit on my TiVo and rot.

Jalal2017 08-12-17 03:56 AM

Love it!

mcnabb 08-12-17 10:11 AM

Watched the 2nd episode and I am captivated the whole hour. Pullman is really good in this.

McLovin 08-12-17 06:16 PM

Really hooked on this so far. Hope it can maintain its quality through the final episode.

RichC2 08-14-17 12:42 PM

Ratings are apparently quite strong for this one.

http://deadline.com/2017/08/the-sinn...-2-1202148227/

mcnabb 08-17-17 09:34 PM

Episode 3 was very good. It's definitely going a direction I wasn't expecting.

mcnabb 09-15-17 06:29 AM

1 more episode left, as I will wait for everyone to catch up before I comment. As I said in previous posts, this show has taken the story in a unexpected direction and I'm anxious to see how they tie it up in the series finale next week.

mrhan 09-15-17 08:35 AM

Did I miss something?

Spoiler:
The parents mentioned that Cora missed her sister's funeral. How did they think she died after what was revealed on the latest episode.

mcnabb 09-15-17 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by mrhan (Post 13157323)
Did I miss something?

Spoiler:
The parents mentioned that Cora missed her sister's funeral. How did they think she died after what was revealed on the latest episode.

Spoiler:
I was wondering the same thing. I know the parents didn't know that Cora took her sister out that night, but they will think something is up the next day when neither daughter is home?

johnnysd 09-20-17 01:27 AM

I love this show. I completely thought I knew exactly where this show was going but while some events were telegraphed the last episode was really surprising and I am still not sure how everything fits together but I have confidence in the show makers to pull it off. Pullman is terrific.

DWilson 09-20-17 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by mcnabb (Post 13157355)
Spoiler:
I was wondering the same thing. I know the parents didn't know that Cora took her sister out that night, but they will think something is up the next day when neither daughter is home?

That's the big question in my mind.
Spoiler:
I kind of assumed that the body they found was not the blonde, and as events progressed I assumed it was the sister, with the blonde turning up alive to prove Cora's story. However, I hope they're able to explain the plot-point of the sister's disappearance.

jpcamb 09-22-17 08:04 AM

I really enjoyed this show and was shocked by the second to last episode. The final episode was very lackluster in comparison to the rest of the series and felt pretty lazy to me.

Noonan 09-22-17 08:19 AM

What a letdown this ended up being. I had to force myself to watch the last few and the ending was BORING.

Did we ever find out the reasoning behind the specific stabbing pattern she used on the guy and also Pullman when he played that music? Or was that just one of the many plot holes?

mcnabb 09-22-17 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by jpcamb (Post 13162090)
I really enjoyed this show and was shocked by the second to last episode. The final episode was very lackluster in comparison to the rest of the series and felt pretty lazy to me.

I agree with everyone here in that the story started off great and then the ending was almost like a Lifetime Channel movie of the week. I will admit they did a good selling job on this show as they portrayed that you would really get inside these characters but in the end, it just turned out to be a clichéd suspense story with a twist at the end. I guess I was expecting more character development as they really sold it like that. Oh well, it was only 8 episodes so it was still entertaining.

DWilson 09-22-17 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13162102)
What a letdown this ended up being. I had to force myself to watch the last few and the ending was BORING.

Did we ever find out the reasoning behind the specific stabbing pattern she used on the guy and also Pullman when he played that music? Or was that just one of the many plot holes?

I guess it's the movements she made when she (in her drugged state) went after the two when her sister was dying/died. Since they were so specific about the pattern and it's repetition in the early episodes, they kind of let that pass in the finale.

I think one of the weaknesses of the story is that it really needed more of a resolution for Affable Bill Pullman's character, and how it ties with Cora's story. Had this been a proper film, -even a Lifetime movie, -that would be the point of the story, -to tie the two of them together, Pullman saving himself by saving her. However, this is intended as a series featuring Pullman so it kind of left things hanging. Does this make him "The Sinner"?

mrhan 09-22-17 10:11 AM

Yeah...it was entertaining for the most part but the ending was boring.

Inhumans99 09-22-17 10:50 AM

Okay, I am in the minority and thought that the final episode was pretty chilling and showed how far folks would go to retain their or their family's standing in society. I mean that is the take away I get from the guy allowing himself to be blackmailed into holding Cora hostage, drugging her up and then dumping her like trash once he felt she was no longer cognizant to make sense of what happened to her.

The scenes where she is being pumped with intraveneous drugs are grindhousy...and made me flinch (the constant sticking of the needle in her arm...ughh, yuck, shudder, the blood). Granted scenes like this in grindhouse flicks are there to usually show the girl being held captive and drugged to be turned into a whore for the villain of the exploitation film, but still.

Also, I did not need more of an explanation for the stabbing pattern other than muscle memory triggered by the song.

Jessica Biel and Bill Pullman were aces in this. I was definitely satisfied with this eight episode event series.

Osiris3657 09-23-17 12:00 PM

Well the finale was disappointing in regards to anything shocking or exciting happening. Bill Pullman was interviewed prior to the finale airing and said "you won't know what's coming" and I had expectations of some jaw dropping reveal. Obviously that didn't happen, but I still enjoyed the series.