Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones (S7E01) -- Season Premiere -- "Dragonstone" -- 7/16/17

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: What did you think of Season 7 Premiere?
27.50%
50.00%
22.50%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Game of Thrones (S7E01) -- Season Premiere -- "Dragonstone" -- 7/16/17

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-17, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S7E01) -- Season Premiere -- "Dragonstone" -- 7/16/17

I was in the minority among my friends, but I had no idea who Ed Sheeran was before the episode.
Old 07-18-17, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Has the book ever defined what it is the White Walkers want? Are they just a dangerous created "bio-weapon" run amuck who wants to make the whole world Winter and destroy/convert like Xenomorphs/Terminators? Are they just "mindlessly" carrying out their original "war programming" that the COtF created in them? Is it revenge against the Children of the Forest?
Old 07-18-17, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 07-18-17, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

How far is it from the entrance to the Wall where Meera and Bran enter from the rest of Castle Black where Jon and Sansa are? I thought we'd see Bran meet up with them after we see them let in.
Old 07-18-17, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
How far is it from the entrance to the Wall where Meera and Bran enter from the rest of Castle Black where Jon and Sansa are? I thought we'd see Bran meet up with them after we see them let in.
Jon and Sansa are at Winterfell.

I had the same question - the hall where they met as a group in Winterfell looks like the Castle Black hall. As does the yard.
Old 07-18-17, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Draven
Jon and Sansa are at Winterfell.

I had the same question - the hall where they met as a group in Winterfell looks like the Castle Black hall. As does the yard.
Ah, I guess that makes sense since they would be there after taking it back from Ramsay. But yeah, the room where they met and the yard where Brienne was fighting looked like all the Castle Black scenes. Thanks!
Old 07-18-17, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Ah, I guess that makes sense since they would be there after taking it back from Ramsay. But yeah, the room where they met and the yard where Brienne was fighting looked like all the Castle Black scenes. Thanks!
There's really only a handful of developers available what with all the killings going on and all that. Most of these places are KBHome built with a few Greystone, Dr. Horton, and Lennar. There's some obscene HOA rules as well like no flayed men burning on lawns, all house banners needs to be hung the same way, and no more than 3 broken down horses in the driveway at one time.
Old 07-18-17, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Has the book ever defined what it is the White Walkers want? Are they just a dangerous created "bio-weapon" run amuck who wants to make the whole world Winter and destroy/convert like Xenomorphs/Terminators? Are they just "mindlessly" carrying out their original "war programming" that the COtF created in them? Is it revenge against the Children of the Forest?
Unknown. The books haven't addressed it yet.

In the books they're called "The Others," and haven't made a lot of appearances. They are much more prominent in the tv series than in the books. Their physical appearance in the books is different, too. They're more like the Elves from The Lord of the Rings than monsters from heavy metal album covers. The Night King isn't in the books, either, though there is a reference to a Night's King in the distant past, but no indication that he was or is an Other.
Old 07-18-17, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Unknown. The books haven't addressed it yet.

In the books they're called "The Others," and haven't made a lot of appearances. They are much more prominent in the tv series than in the books. Their physical appearance in the books is different, too. They're more like the Elves from The Lord of the Rings than monsters from heavy metal album covers. The Night King isn't in the books, either, though there is a reference to a Night's King in the distant past, but no indication that he was or is an Other.
Thanks.
Old 07-18-17, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by General Zod
There's really only a handful of developers available what with all the killings going on and all that. Most of these places are KBHome built with a few Greystone, Dr. Horton, and Lennar. There's some obscene HOA rules as well like no flayed men burning on lawns, all house banners needs to be hung the same way, and no more than 3 broken down horses in the driveway at one time.
Fuckin HOA's get you every time
Old 07-18-17, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Is Cersei incapable of having more children? When Jaime says that they can't have a dynasty without heirs (despite Cersei's notion of having their "own dynasty"...their being the only Lannisters left "that count"), why can't they get busy producing some more little Lannisters? The High Sept is gone, so the queen can change any rules about intermarriage with relatives (besides, the rumor mills pretty much knew about the parentage of the previous three kids).
Cersei made a comment to her brother that she's been listening to her father for 40 years. Even if you take that listening to have started at birth, she's at least in her early 40's. She's about to experience menopause if she hasn't already.
Old 07-18-17, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

No Melisandre this episode. Can someone remind me where she was at the end of last season?
Old 07-18-17, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
No Melisandre this episode. Can someone remind me where she was at the end of last season?
Heading south after Jon banished her due to Shireen's murder.
Old 07-18-17, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
After retaking Winterfell, in front of Jon Snow Davos confronted Melisandre about her involvement in burning Shireen (Stannis's little girl) alive as a sacrifice. As a result, Snow banished her to ride south and never return to the north. Davos let her know if she ever rode north again he would personally execute her. Presumably she left and has not been seen on the show since.
Old 07-19-17, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
After retaking Winterfell, in front of Jon Snow Davos confronted Melisandre about her involvement in burning Shireen (Stannis's little girl) alive as a sacrifice. As a result, Snow banished her to ride south and never return to the north. Davos let her know if she ever rode north again he would personally execute her. Presumably she left and has not been seen on the show since.
He didn't say shit during the meeting in episode 1.

I wonder if the actor got paid the same as if he spoke?
Old 07-19-17, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not true. Davos joined the crowd in chanting "King of the North!" They were even sure to get a good close up of him choosing to do so.
Old 07-19-17, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
He didn't say shit during the meeting in episode 1.

I wonder if the actor got paid the same as if he spoke?
I bet they sign season-long contracts. That way they could get cut out or have dialogue added/removed without having to deal with changing anything on the numbers side.

Totally pulling that out of my ass though.
Old 07-19-17, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I bet they sign season-long contracts. That way they could get cut out or have dialogue added/removed without having to deal with changing anything on the numbers side.
From what I can find, normally the "regular" cast members get paid for a guaranteed number of episodes a season, something agreed upon beforehand.
http://www.eonline.com/news/58246/do...in-the-episode
One more general rule: Before a season even starts shooting, each actor usually gets a "guarantee" of a certain number of episodes. In other words, no surprises in the pay department.

In TV circles, ensembles are broken down into three categories: leads, series regulars and recurring characters. Leads get the most work and the most money. Series regulars get fewer episodes but enough screen time to ensure they won't take their talents to any other series that season. (They can make guest cameos or host SNL, but that's about it.)

Recurring characters have the least screen time and usually the smallest paychecks per episode—but also the most freedom.

"Recurring characters usually have the leeway to act in other shows," my insider tells me. "But series regulars and leads are usually locked down in their contracts."
Any "guest stars" including recurring characters, only get paid for the episodes they appear in.
http://deadline.com/2015/12/tv-guest...rs-1201669407/
As TV budgets get tighter among viewership fragmentation and declining ratings, studios often limit the number of regular cast members on a show, instead increasingly employing actors as “top of show” recurring guest stars for a fraction of the salary....

Meanwhile, a new trend has emerged on series — especially new ones — in the past couple of years, with studios “pre-buying” actors as top of show recurring guest stars for 6-8 episodes.
So Liam Cunningham got paid to appear in that episode. I also doubt he was paid less for that particular episode due to not speaking much.
Old 07-19-17, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jay G.
From what I can find, normally the "regular" cast members get paid for a guaranteed number of episodes a season, something agreed upon beforehand.
http://www.eonline.com/news/58246/do...in-the-episode

Any "guest stars" including recurring characters, only get paid for the episodes they appear in.
http://deadline.com/2015/12/tv-guest...rs-1201669407/

So Liam Cunningham got paid to appear in that episode. I also doubt he was paid less for that particular episode due to not speaking much.
Interesting. Thanks!
Old 07-19-17, 08:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikahC
Cersei made a comment to her brother that she's been listening to her father for 40 years. Even if you take that listening to have started at birth, she's at least in her early 40's. She's about to experience menopause if she hasn't already.
Thanks. Had forgotten that reference. Childbirth at her age would be pretty tricky, especially in those days (even if she hasn't gone through menopause).

Originally Posted by General Zod
And let's not mention the insane rules about portcullis treatments.

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Heading south after Jon banished her due to Shireen's murder.
At first I read that as "Sheeran" and thought I'd missed something from the season premiere.

From hearing about Twitter responses to his cameo, she probably would have received a bounty for his murder.

Re: the interesting conversation about payment for actors, wonder if any interesting deleted scenes not previously seen will be included in the inevitable complete set.
Old 07-23-17, 01:29 PM

1 thing that still needs to play out, and I forget which season it was in, but the Lannisters are heavily in debt to the bankers. Knowing bankers at some point they're going to want their money.

I don't know how the books are set to end but I wouldn't be surprised if Littlefinger doesn't end up on the throne, at least temporarily.

With Cersei blowing up the Sept with all those nobles inside, the Freys gone, Boltons gone, Tully's mostly gone, Greyjoys divided, along with a lot of the houses decimated with their heads killed at various battles, I have to wonder about the power vacuum left. That's a lot of nobles who have been taken off the board. And why Jamie said Cersei had 3 kingdoms not 7. Even the North has a lot to replace. Mormount, Karstark and Umber are being led by children, even as badass as Lady Mormount is. The wildlings are 1/10th of what they were and they have no giants left to battle.
Old 07-23-17, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

It would be funny if Sansa ends up on the Iron Throne married to Littlefinger. Everyone expects some combination of Jon Snow and/or Daenerys to end up on the Iron Throne, but GOT has never given viewers what they expect.

I expect some weird curveball like Sansa and Arya on the throne together, with Arya having adopted some permanent disguise like Jaime Lannister.
Old 07-23-17, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by barelypure
1 thing that still needs to play out, and I forget which season it was in, but the Lannisters are heavily in debt to the bankers. Knowing bankers at some point they're going to want their money.
So it'll be like Al Capone getting taken down by his taxes? Two huge armies will be facing off on the battlefield, then the bank collectors ride up and take Cersei off in chains.
Old 07-23-17, 07:13 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 922 Likes on 776 Posts

so does the face also alter body chemistry? bc no way Arya fits the frame of Walder Frey.

seeing it a second time can't help me think of a Mission Impossible film. little weird in that it looked so similar given this is such an original show...