Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Nineties CNN Sunday July 9, 2017

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-17, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts
The Nineties CNN Sunday July 9, 2017

How many episodes will be prempted because of breaking Trump news?

The first episode is a two hour show on Nineties television.

From executive producers Tom Hanks, Gary Goetzman, and Mark Herzog, in association with HBO, CNN's Original Series "The Nineties" explores the decade that gave us the Internet, DVDs, and other cultural and political milestones.
http://www.cnn.com/shows/the-nineties

Old 07-06-17, 06:26 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Re: The Nineties CNN Sunday July 9, 2017

Millenials will get a kick out of this. Personally, I'd rather forget the 90's (at least what I can remember of it).
Old 07-06-17, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

The Eighties scheduling was a disaster. I think 4 or 5 of the 8 episodes were postponed because of breaking news. Really frustrating. Hopefully that doesn't happen here.

I remember Prince, Trump and a plane crash derailed the schedule last year.

I was a little disappointed with The Eighties, but for the most part these decade miniseries documentaries have been pretty good. National Geographic did a better job with the 80s documentary a couple of years ago.

I have to assume CNN is planning a The Two Thousands as well.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-06-17 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-06-17, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Millenials will get a kick out of this. Personally, I'd rather forget the 90's (at least what I can remember of it).
Millennials are a bit young for this decade, having either not been born yet, or young children at the most. Nah, this is for those born in the 70s to early 80s. As a member of this generation, I think we have it best, having been raised in an analog age but still young enough to understand and use all the toys of the digital age.
Old 07-06-17, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

I look forward to tuning in every week to see which trivial news story causes it to be preempted that week.
Old 07-06-17, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I look forward to tuning in every week to see which trivial news story causes it to be preempted that week.
No kidding. Sure would be nice if this was on a different network.
Old 07-06-17, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Millennials are a bit young for this decade, having either not been born yet, or young children at the most. Nah, this is for those born in the 70s to early 80s. As a member of this generation, I think we have it best, having been raised in an analog age but still young enough to understand and use all the toys of the digital age.
Yeah, the 90s were the best! I'm a proud member of the Xennial generation

Who knows when these will air. I think they're still trying to burn off The History of Comedy.
Old 07-06-17, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JTH182
I think they're still trying to burn off The History of Comedy.
Is that true? I had long ago given up on this.
Old 07-07-17, 12:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Decker
You can watch it uninterrupted On-Demand, their app and their website.
Old 07-07-17, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

You can watch it uninterrupted On-Demand, their app and their website.
It actually has to air on TV first. If an episode gets postponed, they aren't going to post it on demand and online until CNN actually airs it.
Old 07-07-17, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Is that true? I had long ago given up on this.
According to my DVR (Uverse), History of Comedy is airing next Sunday the 16th at 10. It says it's episode 8...which I don't believe more than 3 episodes aired so maybe they're just airing in whatever order to burn it off. Soundtracks needs to come back too. I think only two or three of those aired.
Old 07-07-17, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Me too except for the music in the early part of the decade.

I don't think the TV show in the 90's was as good as the 80's or 2000's.
Old 07-07-17, 01:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DJariya
It actually has to air on TV first. If an episode gets postponed, they aren't going to post it on demand and online until CNN actually airs it.
True, but eventually they'll run it. They rerun them every weekend.
Old 07-07-17, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Even though I am a child of the 80's (so my nostalgia still holds for that decade more then any other), the 90's was a solid decade for everything.

-The Grunge Scene killed Big Hair Bands of the 80's and that music still holds up today (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, etc). Along with bands like Dave Matthews, Alanis Morrisette, Smashing Pumpkins, GreenDay, SoundGarden, No Doubt, The Verve. Think of the crap that is out these days?

-The last era of the great sitcom, as they are very few great sitcoms these days. Seinfeld, Friends, Roseanne, Coach, Home Improvement, Fraiser, Everybody Loves Raymond, etc.

-Then you had solid movies that actually came out in the Summer that weren't just comic book/action movies like Saving Private Ryan, Braveheart, Apollo 13. Along with great movies that were both popular and won Academy Awards like Pulp Fiction, Silence of the Lambs, Goodfellas, Unforgiven, Shawshank Redemption, Titanic, American Beauty, The Sixth Sense, etc. Unlike today where it seems most Oscar Nominated Movies are smaller unknown films.

The only bad thing about the decade was when it started bad trends in their infancy that grew and took over TV in the 21st Century. The rise of the Reality Show, The rise of FoxNews that divided Cable News into Political Partisanship, The Clinton/Lewinsky Affair and the OJ Murder Trial which really changed everything.
Old 07-07-17, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

They should show these on HLN(at the same time as CNN) that way if CNN interrupt's for Breaking News(or something) it can still be viewed on their sister channel. HLN has become 100 percent useless so this would come in good use.
Old 07-09-17, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

I was alive in the 90's I'll watch this.

BTW who is this woman?

Old 07-09-17, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb

-The Grunge Scene killed Big Hair Bands of the 80's and that music still holds up today (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, etc). Along with bands like Dave Matthews, Alanis Morrisette, Smashing Pumpkins, GreenDay, SoundGarden, No Doubt, The Verve. Think of the crap that is out these days?
There is just as many if not more artists making great records out now,unforunately in the Us 1 media company owns the majority of radio stations so top 40/country and pop radio is strangleholded by top brass who only allow prepackaged stars or Megaproducers material to get airplay. Nirvana/Soundgarden and Pearl Jam would have toiled in obscurity or just been Indie Rock darlings had they existed 8-10 years later.
Old 07-10-17, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
I was alive in the 90's I'll watch this.

BTW who is this woman?

Looks like a shot of Shania Twain in the "That Don't Impress Me Much" music video.
Old 07-10-17, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After watching the episode on 90's TV, one thing struck me that has drastically changed on TV: Diversity. The 90's were the last decade with all white casts, compared to these days where they push diversity with everything.

You look at a show like Friends if that were made in 2017, you would probably have 4 white cast members, and black cast member and/or another minority like an Asian. A show like Buffy the Vampire Slayer was all white regarding the main cast, as that would be different today. I've been watching Party of Five on Netflix, and they don't have ANY black cast member on the show until Season 3. Back then, you had African-American shows like Martin, Fresh Prince and Moesha, and all white shows like Frasier, Seinfeld, Friends, etc.
Old 07-10-17, 12:49 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

After watching the episode on 90's TV, one thing struck me that has drastically changed on TV: Diversity. The 90's were the last decade with all white casts, compared to these days where they push diversity with everything.

You look at a show like Friends if that were made in 2017, you would probably have 4 white cast members, and black cast member and/or another minority like an Asian. A show like Buffy the Vampire Slayer was all white regarding the main cast, as that would be different today. I've been watching Party of Five on Netflix, and they don't have ANY black cast member on the show until Season 3. Back then, you had African-American shows like Martin, Fresh Prince and Moesha, and all white shows like Frasier, Seinfeld, Friends, etc.
Are you saying this is a problem?
Old 07-10-17, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
Nice job seizing the high ground.
Old 07-10-17, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Naturally one of these shows finally aired as scheduled but I was victimized by satellite rain fade. But I have learned from the past and have all scheduled airings of every episode set to record which should guarantee catching as much as half the season.
Old 07-10-17, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
No, it was just an observation after seeing the special.
Old 07-10-17, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched the 90s TV episode and I enjoyed it. I cracked up when they mentioned the 3 Amy Fisher TV movies. I liked that NYPD Blue was included.
Old 07-10-17, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Lost was a pioneer and truly changed the TV landscape, in that regard. However it took a couple of years for it to seep into other shows. Of course other shows had multi-national/race casts like NYPD Blue and er, but there was something about Lost that put it at the forefront for me.

Of course now we're at the other end of the spectrum where every show covers as much race/nationality ground as they can. It made sense in Lost where a plane is filled with people of all types. Other shows and genres not so much. Not every group of friends in real life has a white dude, black dude, asian chick, redhead, muslim, etc. We went from one extreme to the other.

Anyway, I missed this, I'll have to catch a rerun.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.