TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fargo (S3E10) -- Season Finale -- "Somebody to Love" -- 6/21/17

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-17, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts
Re: Fargo (S3E10) -- Season Finale -- "Somebody to Love" -- 6/21/17

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Well, then does it even need to be called Fargo?
How much of the past 3 seasons actually took place in Fargo, ND?
Old 10-22-17, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

http://people.com/movies/ewan-mcgreg...beth-winstead/

Ewan McGregor has left his wife of 22 years with 4 kids reportedly for Mary Elizabeth Winstead

She also left her husband as well.
Old 10-22-17, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dat ass.
Old 10-22-17, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Luds
Dat ass.
First thing I thought of
Old 10-22-17, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I give them less than 22 years.
Old 10-23-17, 07:50 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Ewan definitely has a type. His former wife looks like she could be the mom of MEW.

Old 10-23-17, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This McGregor/Winstead thing is the most interesting thing about Fargo Season 3.

Also, it’s not very interesting.
Old 10-24-17, 07:05 AM

Nah, Frago Season 3 was good, it just wasn't anywhere near as good as the previous two.
Old 10-24-17, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Luds
Nah, Frago Season 3 was good, it just wasn't anywhere near as good as the previous two.
Agreed. It looks mediocre by comparison, but those first 2 seasons were just all kinds of awesome.

I expect a big comeback when/if we get a Season 4.
Old 10-24-17, 11:06 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Agreed. It looks mediocre by comparison, but those first 2 seasons were just all kinds of awesome.

I expect a big comeback when/if we get a Season 4.
I think Noah Hawley overextended himself last season. He developed two shows - Fargo and Legion. He's also a well-received author. Though the shows didn't overlap, I think most of his creative energy went towards Legion and Fargo suffered as a result. Legion is getting another season. If Fargo gets the same, hopefully he'll revisit options of how best to oversee both.
Old 10-25-17, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, the first two seasons of Fargo are some of the best TV this decade. Season 3 wasn't even some of the best TV this year. But it was still leagues better than most things on TV.
Old 10-25-17, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Yeah, the first two seasons of Fargo are some of the best TV this decade. Season 3 wasn't even some of the best TV this year. But it was still leagues better than most things on TV.
I'm kinda liking the reactions to the season. To me, it reminds me of the Coen's A Serious Man, from the opening segment that has no plot bearing on the rest of the story, to the ambiguous ending. The way it meanders a bit in solving the mystery, going off on what are revealed to be dead ends, reminds me og The Big Lebowski. The big thing is it doesn't have the solid "all the bad guys get it in the end, and the good guys are clearly victorious" ending of the previous 2 seasons, which makes it less immediately satisfying.
Old 10-25-17, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The thing is that with the 1st & 2nd season I really cared about the protagonists & antagonists. Half-way through this season I just wanted it to be over regardless of who survived.
Old 10-25-17, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed. And for me, the whole reason S3 was less than is all centered around Varga. Not sure whose fault it is (actor, writer, director, combo of all of the those) but nothing about that character was enjoyable to watch.
Old 10-25-17, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The thing is that with the 1st & 2nd season I really cared about the protagonists & antagonists. Half-way through this season I just wanted it to be over regardless of who survived.
The best character was probably the one from season 1, who you can be certain would survive.
Old 10-25-17, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Completely agree.

Season 1 was fantastic, season 2 was even better...highest quality television all the way around.
Old 10-26-17, 04:48 AM

It's almost like S3 was meant as a shocker that the heroes died. Initial hero I suppose was Ray, then I'd say Nikki and ultimately the background hero Gloria is sole survivor.
Old 04-21-18, 09:20 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

anyone know when S3 will be streaming on Hulu? thanks...
Old 04-21-18, 09:29 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I saw Fargo S03 earlier this year. Excellent! I'm a big fan of The Coen Brothers' past films & the previous two seasons of Fargo. And, I found S03 to be the best & strongest season so far:

-Ewan McGregor did an amazing job playing the two different brothers (Emmit and Ray), both of which had completely different physical appearances, personalities, and financial situations. I.e., the successful Emmit was polished & fit, while the slovenly Ray was out of shape & sloppy. If I hadn't known better, I would have thought two different actors were playing these roles - amazing.

- The gorgeous Mary Elizabeth Winstead was fantastic as well. She played a great role as a scheming criminal that you ended up rooting for - hard to pull off, but done well here.

-Carrie C. was excellent as the police-woman. She & the other police-woman (who was trying to & eventually got pregnant) were obviously a "homage" to the Frances McDormand character in the original Fargo (1996). CC was also great in HBO's The Leftovers TV series (2014 - 2017).

-David Thewlis as Varga was quite creepy, with a distinct taint of "uncleanliness" (both physical & mental) about him. His frequent vomiting in the earlier episodes was probably because of Bulimia; but I also suspect some of it may have had to do with his rotten/rotting teeth (i.e., bad hygiene). He was obviously one of those "evil businessmen" who left the true dirty work to his underlings/subordinates.

- My favorite stand-alone episode in this season was when Carrie C. went to L.A. to find out more about her step-father & try to determine why he was killed. Though this episode had no real connection to the rest of the season, it was an fascinating story about someone who was betrayed & corrupted by Hollywood, and decided to escape the area & his past there - and start over again in the Midwest. The flashbacks to the '70's were fantastic, and perfectly placed within the episode. The pen-ultimate scene when the waitress confessed everything that had happened (with the step-father) to CC was interesting, and it was a significant insight into the life of her step-father....who was obviously someone that she loved & respected, but didn't know much about - up until that point.

Spoiler:
This whole episode had a definite Barton Fink (1991) vibe, especially the final scene when CC lay on the beach in her bathing suit - similar to the end of BF, when he was walking on the beach and came across the woman sun-tanning....very cool homage here.

- Also really enjoyed the scene in the deserted bowling alley in the middle of nowhere,
Spoiler:
where the MEW character & the hearing impaired guy (who escaped with her from the prison transport truck) ended up sitting down & recovering from their ordeal. I got the impression that the Ray Wise character (better known as Leland Palmer from the iconic Twin Peaks TV series) was supposed to be the devil, but I guess not. When I first saw this scene, I thought that the deserted bowling alley was supposed to be hell/purgatory, and that MEW & the hearing impaired guy were dead. But, as time went on it was clear that wasn't what was happening here. Obviously, this scene definitely reminded me of The Big Lebowski bowling scenes, especially when the cowboy was talking to The Dude (Jeff Bridges) in the bar area - LOL.

-Great scene at Thanksgiving @ the end of the final episode,
Spoiler:
when Emmit's past came back to haunt him.

-The final scene was great,
Spoiler:
i.e. the uncertainty as to when someone was going to come through the door - and who that person was going to be. Though a lot of film/TV fans don't like ambiguity when it comes to the endings of films/TV shows, I don't mind this - once in a while.
Old 04-21-18, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDude
- Also really enjoyed the scene in the deserted bowling alley in the middle of nowhere,
Spoiler:
where the MEW character & the hearing impaired guy (who escaped with her from the prison transport truck) ended up sitting down & recovering from their ordeal. I got the impression that the Ray Wise character (better known as Leland Palmer from the iconic Twin Peaks TV series) was supposed to be the devil, but I guess not.
Regarding Ray Wise's character:
Spoiler:
He gives is name as Paul Marrane at one point, which is one of the names of the mythical Wandering Jew:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wandering_Jew#Name

Last edited by Jay G.; 04-22-18 at 08:46 PM.