Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Better Call Saul (S3E10) -- Season Finale -- "Lantern" -- 6/19/17

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-17, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S3E10) -- Season Finale -- "Lantern" -- 6/19/17

After that finale, I am not convinced that there will actually be a season 4. It could easily be the end of the show. It was also generally unpleasant to watch. The only real plot point left at this point really is what happens with Kim. And maybe they will just leave that unanswered. I could also see a restructuring with the series taking place in Nebraska and flashing back to isolated events as needed. But it seems to me that for the most part, the BCS story is told.
Old 06-20-17, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I discuss this show with a coworker weekly. He asked me how Gus is still around after he got blown up & why isn't Salamanca in his wheelchair. 3 seasons in & he doesnt know he's watching a prequel. I was speechless for about a minute or two.
Old 06-20-17, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
I discuss this show with a coworker weekly. He asked me how Gus is still around after he got blown up & why isn't Salamanca in his wheelchair. 3 seasons in & he doesnt know he's watching a prequel. I was speechless for about a minute or two.
Yeah, I was wondering how Mike got out the barrel.
Old 06-20-17, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm surprised there's even a question of there being an additional season. The thought of that not happening never even crossed my mind.
Old 06-20-17, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

I'm not really sure I'd be able to talk to that person again. There isn't a face-palm big enough to react to that.
Old 06-20-17, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

After being renovated/fixed up, the interior of Chucks house looks really nice. But the exterior looks like a piece of shit. Why would Chuck buy such an ugly-ass house with how well he was doing financially?
Old 06-20-17, 08:54 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I could also see a restructuring with the series taking place in Nebraska and flashing back to isolated events as needed.
That could be possible.

Interview with Vince Gilligan:

On that note then, Chuck and Jimmy's relationship continues to get pushed further and become more frayed. You can only go so far here. Breaking Bad’s third season is when things really started to accelerate. With that show you had a set five-year plan that you more or less stuck to. Now that you’re three seasons into Saul, do you know how long this show is going to end up running?

You're exactly right. We couldn't really give you an exact amount of episodes. The reason being—and I'm not being coy here—it’s just hard to know exactly. But you did put your finger on something important. Just from watching this show you can tell that it's a finite story. And we know that even further from the fact that this show has to butt up against the beginning of Breaking Bad. So there is a finite nature here. But there's one difference in Better Call Saul’s finite nature that wasn't there with Breaking Bad, which is that there is yet again the possibility of a whole other story to be told through the black-and-white beginnings of a post-Breaking Bad world that we've put at the top of each season. So while I think that there is a definite end in sight for the pre-Breaking Bad story, there still seems like there could be a lot in the post-Breaking Bad world. I'm kind of fascinated by that, simply as one of the first fans of the series. What could come out of that? No promises, but it seems to me that there's a little more opportunity for scope there than there even was in Breaking Bad.
Old 06-20-17, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I have mixed feelings about this finale. I certainly don't think it would be a fine ending to the series. First, Jimmy was swinging back the other way, sort of apologizing to Chuck, that whole chair yoga false confession, etc., so I don't think his transformation to Saul is there yet. I want to see more, so I hope we get to. It was not an overwhelming season finale by any means, but it was still darn good.
Old 06-20-17, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Anyone else think that Chuck was gonna take a header over the railing at HHM?

I guess Gus saw Nacho collecting the spilt pills and pocketing them and putting other pills back in the bottle.
Me, to my wife: "I thought Chuck was going to take a header off the balcony."

And, yeah, nothing gets by Gus. Well, almost nothing...

Originally Posted by dex14
That could be possible.

That sounds very encouraging regarding a post BB series!

I have to say, I was happy with the episode. Jimmy redeemed himself, somewhat.

I'd agree that Chuck's apparent ending was somewhat telegraphed. As soon as he told Jimmy he didn't care about him, I figured he was gone. Who knows, though, they may surprise us next season.
Old 06-20-17, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I loved the Chuck/Howard exchange leading up to Chuck walking out in front of everyone, mirroring his "return" to the firm awhile back. I've really enjoyed the Howard character the last few episodes and the way he kind of "turns on" the lawyer stuff publicly.
Old 06-20-17, 12:23 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Yeah, Howard is a character I've liked better with each passing season. Overall, I thought the finale was decent - a few notable callouts for me:

- The lighting was perfect when they zoom in on Jimmy's face when Chuck tells him he never mattered that much. It was 1/2 light/dark - a good visual of the good and evil that will become of him.

- I didn't leap to Chuck's ultimate demise early on with the close up of the lantern, but rather when he was lying in bed and the camera slowly pulls back and goes at an angle. Reminded me of Walt's final shot in BB.

- Howard's comment to Chuck, "You win" also echos that of Walt's, "I win".
Old 06-20-17, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
After that finale, I am not convinced that there will actually be a season 4. It could easily be the end of the show. It was also generally unpleasant to watch. The only real plot point left at this point really is what happens with Kim. And maybe they will just leave that unanswered. I could also see a restructuring with the series taking place in Nebraska and flashing back to isolated events as needed. But it seems to me that for the most part, the BCS story is told.
I think they need one more season to lead into the events of BB and maybe have some sort of payoff/revelation with the post-BB scenes. I would be completely unsatisfied if this were the end of the series.

I'm guessing that Kim leaves law as a profession. She's taking a step back and realizing how much it consumes her life.
Old 06-20-17, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Sad to say, but I fear this is the average viewer tv producers have to deal with.
Old 06-20-17, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
I was a little surprised they didn't have a "Bookend" revisiting the scene at the Cinnabon with Chuck/Saul/Gene's collapse in the first episode of the season.
Saul wakes up on the floor of a Cinnabon and realizes he dreamed the entire events of Breaking Bad. The End.
Old 06-20-17, 04:03 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
That could be possible.

If the story isn't stale and VG and company have something up their sleeves for a post-BB world, I think it'd be fantastic to pursue this. It's promising that he would hint at this in an interview so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Personally, I would love to see what becomes of Gene (and presumably, Jesse) post Walt's demise.

If I had to bet, I'd say they do 2 more seasons of BCS.
Old 06-20-17, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
They spent far too long on the scene with Chuck about trying to find the source of the electricity.
See, I liked that. A TV show or film doesn't have to spend every single second driving the story. There's nothing wrong with just stopping and letting the viewer experience a scene in depth. We all knew Chuck was going to go off the deep end, and seeing it unfold over 4-6 minutes leaves much more of an emotional impact than 30 seconds of Chuck going crazy. Of course, such montages have to be done well, like in this episode. When they become gratuitous (see HBO's Vinyl) they can drag the whole show down.
Old 06-20-17, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Yeah, Howard is a character I've liked better with each passing season.
Completely agree. Howard is that guy who just rubs you the wrong way. Then when someone asks you why you feel that way you can't come up with any good explanation that doesn't make you personally come off poorly because nothing he says or does is really bad. So you are just stuck with "I don't know, he just bugs me."

So the real answer is: great writing and acting. Especially:

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I loved the Chuck/Howard exchange leading up to Chuck walking out in front of everyone, mirroring his "return" to the firm awhile back.
When Howard handed and explained the check to Chuck you could really feel the pain.
Old 06-20-17, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Well, in our defense, we were initially led to think Howard was an asshole for keeping Jimmy out of the firm. It wasn't until later that it was revealed to be Chuck's doing.
Old 06-20-17, 05:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Any thoughts on what caused Chucks meter to keep going? Was he not still getting electric bills during his sickness if something was on?
Old 06-20-17, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lifepawn
Any thoughts on what caused Chucks meter to keep going? Was he not still getting electric bills during his sickness if something was on?
A grow-op next door that tapped into his wiring, before the panel?

I initially suspected the phone, but then realized the phone service has it's own supply which is not drawn through your meter.
Old 06-20-17, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

I'm surprised half this thread is discussion of whether or not the show will return. Is it last place in the ratings or something?

Astonished there was no Mike. Like, not even a silent, ten second scene of him near the end? I understand why they couldn't fit him into the Chuck's hearing episode, but this one seems pretty stupid. Jonathan Banks should be insulted they didn't think they needed him in the last episode of the season.

I liked how they copied that one shot from The Shining when Chuck was breaking down the wall.

Not sure how I feel about Chuck starting the fire. Who would choose such a painful suicide? I picture Chuck doing the Jerzy Kosinski method. Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if the writers have Chuck survive the fire somehow.

Does anyone else have the nerdy habit of whenever there's a scene inside a video store, you pause and try to see how many movie covers you recognize. I was surprised to see Tom Savini's Night of the Living Dead re-make was one of Kim's rental options.

Decent episode on its own, but pretty weak for a season finale. It doesn't feel like there's any momentum leading into the next season.
Old 06-20-17, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

May initial guess was the smoke alarm, and the lantern would have fallen over by accident while he was sleeping, but it didn't go down that way. (I'd been guessing death by lantern for a few weeks)
Old 06-20-17, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My guess is, it wasn't. It was all in his head.
Old 06-20-17, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Me007gold
My guess is, it wasn't. It was all in his head.
Doubtful. Then it would be pointless to show closeups of it running after Chuck
went back into the house or walked away from the meter.
Old 06-20-17, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Well, assuming he shut off the panel main breaker (as opposed to the individual ones) there would be no possible usage unless there was a second panel off the meter or a fault of some kind.

Some theories:
Fricking crooks at PNM and their rigged meter!
Chuck has a solar panel he forgot about and the meter was actually running backwards because he was selling power.
A tiny hamster is living inside the meter.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.