TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fargo (S3E09) -- "Aporia" -- 6/14/17

Old 06-14-17, 06:49 AM
  #1  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27,792
Fargo (S3E09) -- "Aporia" -- 6/14/17



Emmit sits down with Gloria, while Nikki negotiates a deal. Written by Noah Hawley and Bob DeLaurentis; Directed by Keith Gordon.
Noah Hawley says Season 3 could be the last: http://deadline.com/2017/06/fargo-no...tx-1202111027/
dex14 is offline  
Old 06-14-17, 10:10 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: boston, ma, usa
Posts: 262
Re: Fargo (S3E09) -- "Aporia" -- 6/14/17

aporia
əˈprēə/
noun
an irresolvable internal contradiction or logical disjunction in a text, argument, or theory.
"the celebrated aporia whereby a Cretan declares all Cretans to be liars"
blairwitchfan is offline  
Old 06-14-17, 06:01 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
hdnmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cygnus
Posts: 12,524
Re: Fargo (S3E09) -- "Aporia" -- 6/14/17

I could see that (aporia) being related to Emmitt's "confession" to the police.
hdnmickey is offline  
Old 06-15-17, 01:04 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Twin Cities, US of A
Posts: 12,783
Re: Fargo (S3E09) -- "Aporia" -- 6/14/17

Good episode. Nice to see the momentum kept up from last week. If I knew they were going to keep going like this I'd wish for more episodes before the season finale.
Bill Needle is offline  
Old 06-15-17, 09:04 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 12,311
Re: Fargo (S3E09) -- "Aporia" -- 6/14/17

They really need to stop grossing us out with Varga. We get it... he's gross.
It's like a kid dangling his booger in front of his friend's face as a joke... and continuing to do that every day.

It was a good episode. Closer to the level of quality of S1 and S2 than most of the episodes so far in S3.

Nikki and Mr. Wrench give us someone to root for, but we also have to remember that they're both murderers - so not exactly people we should fully get behind.

Last edited by Coral; 06-15-17 at 09:23 AM.
Coral is offline  
Old 06-15-17, 02:08 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,659
Re: Fargo (S3E09) -- "Aporia" -- 6/14/17

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
If I knew they were going to keep going like this I'd wish for more episodes before the season finale.
The next episode is likely the series finale. At least, that's what I've read at 2-3 TV sites.
Rex Fenestrarum is offline  
Old 06-15-17, 02:09 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 3,367
Re: Fargo (S3E09) -- "Aporia" -- 6/14/17

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post
The next episode is likely the series finale. At least, that's what I've read at 2-3 TV sites.
If not the series finale, it'll be the last for quite a while.

Last edited by DWilson; 06-15-17 at 02:28 PM.
DWilson is offline  
Old 06-15-17, 02:23 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Twin Cities, US of A
Posts: 12,783
Re: Fargo (S3E09) -- "Aporia" -- 6/14/17

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post
The next episode is likely the series finale. At least, that's what I've read at 2-3 TV sites.
I wasn't aware of that. That would be unfortunate.
Bill Needle is offline  
Old 06-15-17, 02:46 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,744
Re: Fargo (S3E09) -- "Aporia" -- 6/14/17

So she is from St. Louis huh? Wasn't all the other criminal activity in previous seasons out of St Louis?
Deftones is offline  
Old 06-15-17, 03:06 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Twin Cities, US of A
Posts: 12,783
Re: Fargo (S3E09) -- "Aporia" -- 6/14/17

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
So she is from St. Louis huh? Wasn't all the other criminal activity in previous seasons out of St Louis?
Are you thinking of the Kansas City Mafia?
Bill Needle is offline  
Old 06-15-17, 04:12 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
andicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,817
Re: Fargo (S3E09) -- "Aporia" -- 6/14/17

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
They really need to stop grossing us out with Varga. We get it... he's gross.
It's like a kid dangling his booger in front of his friend's face as a joke... and continuing to do that every day.


It was a good episode. Closer to the level of quality of S1 and S2 than most of the episodes so far in S3.

Nikki and Mr. Wrench give us someone to root for, but we also have to remember that they're both murderers - so not exactly people we should fully get behind.
Seriously! Enough with that shit.

Damn, 1 episode left, each, for this and Better Call Saul. That sucks.
andicus is offline  
Old 06-16-17, 08:56 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
TerryW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 884
Re: Fargo (S3E09) -- "Aporia" -- 6/14/17

Noah says he doesn't have another story in him at the moment. That's fine with me. He should be able to come back like Larry David (with Curb) whenever he's ready.
TerryW is offline  
Old 06-17-17, 01:23 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
hdnmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cygnus
Posts: 12,524
Re: Fargo (S3E09) -- "Aporia" -- 6/14/17

I've been posting about the Varga gross out stuff for weeks now. Nice to see others finally on board.

Great episode. Seems like Nikki is indeed the end of Varga unless they pull a downer and have his team prevail and walk away the winner in all of this.
hdnmickey is offline  
Old 06-18-17, 04:49 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 706
Re: Fargo (S3E09) -- "Aporia" -- 6/14/17

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
I've been posting about the Varga gross out stuff for weeks now. Nice to see others finally on board.

Great episode. Seems like Nikki is indeed the end of Varga unless they pull a downer and have his team prevail and walk away the winner in all of this.
I for one don't like your outcome (also hate Varga's gross scenes). I didn't like Nikki as I saw her as a user at first. Obviously I am warming up to her. She is going to take him down. You can sense it.
stopgap is offline  
Old 06-18-17, 09:10 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Me007gold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 3,215
Re: Fargo (S3E09) -- "Aporia" -- 6/14/17

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
I've been posting about the Varga gross out stuff for weeks now. Nice to see others finally on board.

Great episode. Seems like Nikki is indeed the end of Varga unless they pull a downer and have his team prevail and walk away the winner in all of this.
I hope not, she is the worst person in all of this. Everything that has happened to her and Ray is because of her actions.
Me007gold is offline  
Old 06-18-17, 06:22 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 3,861
Re: Fargo (S3E09) -- "Aporia" -- 6/14/17

Last two eps have been really good.. let's finish strong fargo3!
mphtrilogy is offline  
Old 06-18-17, 08:44 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Twin Cities, US of A
Posts: 12,783
Re: Fargo (S3E09) -- "Aporia" -- 6/14/17

Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
I hope not, she is the worst person in all of this. Everything that has happened to her and Ray is because of her actions.
Very true. Her goading (or low-grade nagging) is what pushed Ray into everything bad that happened to him in the time frame the series covers.

But dat ass doe!
Bill Needle is offline  
Old 06-19-17, 01:57 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,265
Re: Fargo (S3E09) -- "Aporia" -- 6/14/17

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
Very true. Her goading (or low-grade nagging) is what pushed Ray into everything bad that happened to him in the time frame the series covers.

But dat ass doe!
True but I think she also realizes that, and also realizes that she truly loved Ray which in all her schemes she may not have realized herself. The last couple of episodes have been so strong it has elevated the entire season. Oh and Noah will think of another story at some point
johnnysd is offline  
Old 06-19-17, 02:24 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 706
Re: Fargo (S3E09) -- "Aporia" -- 6/14/17

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
Very true. Her goading (or low-grade nagging) is what pushed Ray into everything bad that happened to him in the time frame the series covers.

But dat ass doe!
Lol
stopgap is offline  
Old 06-19-17, 02:28 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 706
Re: Fargo (S3E09) -- "Aporia" -- 6/14/17

Nikki is a hard pill to swallow. She undermined Ray to the point to where he died. And we are supposed to feel for her now?

I am one of them but feel dirty while doing it. She was responsible for all of this.
stopgap is offline  
Old 06-19-17, 06:34 AM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Luds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Gatineau, QC
Posts: 909
Re: Fargo (S3E09) -- "Aporia" -- 6/14/17

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post

Great episode. Seems like Nikki is indeed the end of Varga unless they pull a downer and have his team prevail and walk away the winner in all of this.
Agreed. Nikki is a great character. Hope she takes the win.
Luds is offline  
Old 06-19-17, 08:35 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
hdnmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cygnus
Posts: 12,524
Re: Fargo (S3E09) -- "Aporia" -- 6/14/17

Originally Posted by Luds View Post
Agreed. Nikki is a great character. Hope she takes the win.
Great, but underutilized character. The season would be far better off if they had replaced every gross out scene with Varga with something with Nikki.

I often wonder why people are watching a show like Fargo if they are unwilling to pull for character like Nikki.
hdnmickey is offline  
Old 06-19-17, 11:19 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
clckworang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The toe nail of Texas
Posts: 7,333
Re: Fargo (S3E09) -- "Aporia" -- 6/14/17

Originally Posted by stopgap View Post
Nikki is a hard pill to swallow. She undermined Ray to the point to where he died. And we are supposed to feel for her now?

I am one of them but feel dirty while doing it. She was responsible for all of this.
I have always felt that this was all Ray's fault. It all came down to his weakness and inability to get over his brother getting the stamp.
clckworang is offline  
Old 06-20-17, 02:47 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,265
Re: Fargo (S3E09) -- "Aporia" -- 6/14/17

Originally Posted by stopgap View Post
Nikki is a hard pill to swallow. She undermined Ray to the point to where he died. And we are supposed to feel for her now?

I am one of them but feel dirty while doing it. She was responsible for all of this.
I am not sure that is true at all. I honestly look back at it and see it as her trying to build up Ray and have him take back what is his. I mean think about how positive she was about the bridge and trying to build him up there. It all went horribly wrong, but I think she had Ray's best interests in mind, as misguided as the methods were, the whole time.
johnnysd is offline  
Old 06-20-17, 04:52 AM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Luds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Gatineau, QC
Posts: 909
Re: Fargo (S3E09) -- "Aporia" -- 6/14/17

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Great, but underutilized character. The season would be far better off if they had replaced every gross out scene with Varga with something with Nikki.

I often wonder why people are watching a show like Fargo if they are unwilling to pull for character like Nikki.
Yeah the heroes in all seasons have always been deeply flawed. Nikki and Ray were the obvious "heroes" for this season, I was surprised when they killed Ray off, but Nikki is golden.
Luds is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.