Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-08-17, 07:57 AM   #1
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 17,277
Dark Matter (SyFy) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 6/9/17





Quote:
FRIDAY, JUNE 9

DARK MATTER - 8/7c *SEASON PREMIERE*

"Being Better Is So Much Harder"

In the season two finale the EOS 7 space station is destroyed while TWO, THREE, FIVE, and SIX are still onboard. TWO and SIX escape the blast in the Marauder, but the shuttle is damaged in the blast, leaving them floating dead in space. THREE, who was pulled into an escape pod by Lt. Anders, is now under arrest on a nearby abandoned planet. FIVE and Truffault, meanwhile, find themselves on a Volkov-Rusi destroyer targeted by their corporate rivals.

"It Doesn't Have To Be Like This"

Now back on the Raza, the crew turns their attention to Ryo Ishida and the stolen Blink Drive. They track down the location of Ishida's secret research station, but something goes wrong when TWO, THREE, and SIX access. The facility is transported to a region of null space where the rules of physics no longer apply. Back on the Raza, while the Android attempts to locate their missing friends, FIVE experiences flashbacks to her life before the mind wipe.
2 hour season premiere, 6/9/17.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-17, 11:57 AM   #2
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Natick, Ma, USA
Posts: 6,327
Re: Dark Matter (SyFy) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 6/9/17

Attack of the clone (or parallel dimension guy)...
__________________
"The camel is dead and I ate it! (just like the bacon)" - Todd
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-17, 01:36 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
SmithsGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 679
Re: Dark Matter (SyFy) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 6/9/17

Good stuff. Especially ep 2 on the shrinking station. Initially thought 4 as onboard as hologram, forgot about the temp clone machines. Thought the 5 dream/vision thing wasn't needed except for 5 running into 3's ex was it?
__________________
Do What You Know, Yet Know What You Do.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-17, 05:09 AM   #4
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Seattle and sometimes hell
Posts: 5,499
Re: Dark Matter (SyFy) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 6/9/17

More of the same goodness. They do love ending on cliffhangers.
__________________
"Truth has become unacceptable and dissent unpatriotic"
PS3 Tag: Baron-Of-Hell Steam: Baron_Of_Hell
SSBB: 4425-3985-1734 TWITTER: BaronOfHell
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-17, 01:32 PM   #5
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Natick, Ma, USA
Posts: 6,327
Re: Dark Matter (SyFy) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 6/9/17

While I like Dark Matter, it's been so long since last season I have a hard time following what's going on.

Of the two, Killjoys is still my favorite.
__________________
"The camel is dead and I ate it! (just like the bacon)" - Todd
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-17, 11:17 PM   #6
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,858
Re: Dark Matter (SyFy) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 6/9/17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
While I like Dark Matter, it's been so long since last season I have a hard time following what's going on.

Of the two, Killjoys is still my favorite.
I kind of like both the same. Neither are anywhere close to best of TV status but I think both are significantly above average and just fun. On any given week I might like Killjoys more, or Dark Matter more.

Thought this was a very good opening couple of episodes. I like that they are not shying away from the clones in this show which could have been a huge plot hole.

I look forward to it each week. Both are interesting in that they are better NOT binged. They work very well as weekly shows.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-17, 02:23 PM   #7
DVD Talk Hero
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 47,969
Re: Dark Matter (SyFy) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 6/9/17

I just got caught up with the 2 hour premiere, which aired a few weeks ago.

I hope it lasts, but I'm liking "4" being the villain. That plot carried over from last season. But, after Nyx was killed off and he found out the truth on who did it, he did show some guilt.

But, I did like "2's" proclamation that they need to kill him.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-17, 02:46 PM   #8
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Natick, Ma, USA
Posts: 6,327
Re: Dark Matter (SyFy) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 6/9/17

Most recent episode was great. It started out really lighthearted and then went really dark.
__________________
"The camel is dead and I ate it! (just like the bacon)" - Todd
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-17, 02:57 PM   #9
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 1,380
Re: Dark Matter (SyFy) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 6/9/17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
Most recent episode was great. It started out really lighthearted and then went really dark.
No kidding. I'm not sure how long the show will run but it seems nobody will get a "and they liked happily ever after."
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-17, 10:33 PM   #10
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 1,899
Re: Dark Matter (SyFy) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 6/9/17

I am loving this show, and I recommend that folks watch the two part YouTube videos of the shows 2017 San Diego Con panel. The cast came off as people who genuinely enjoy each other's company.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-17, 09:04 AM   #11
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 2,464
Re: Dark Matter (SyFy) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 6/9/17

"Dark Matter" seems to be trying to do every cliché episode idea that every Sci-Fi (or SyFy) show does at some point or another. We've had a "Groundhog Day" episode, and now the we're going back to The Past (wink!), which is our Present ("Star Trek: The Voyage Home"). Fortunately, they put their own little twists in, -like the dark flash-forward, -and the cast has a surprising amount of charm for a bunch of Canadians.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-17, 09:45 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
SmithsGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 679
Re: Dark Matter (SyFy) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 6/9/17

#blackships yoiks! #renewDarkMatter and a few other # from Twitter.
Enjoyed the season finale and hope for another (Androids and Aliens as the producer said the next would be)
__________________
Do What You Know, Yet Know What You Do.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-17, 10:10 AM   #13
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 2,464
Re: Dark Matter (SyFy) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 6/9/17

Cancelled at SyFy, -confirmed by the EP.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-17, 12:03 PM   #14
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 1,380
Re: Dark Matter (SyFy) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 6/9/17

Sad to see it go especially without a conclusion. Maybe they will restart the comic. Killjoys must be a magnitude cheaper to produce because it was renewed for two season. I would have never though it would last longer then Dark Matter.

Last edited by Kdogg; 09-02-17 at 03:46 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-17, 12:23 PM   #15
DVD Talk Hero
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 47,969
Re: Dark Matter (SyFy) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 6/9/17

I read a few tweets from the cast yesterday and they seem to have accepted the show is done.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-17, 12:55 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 871
Re: Dark Matter (SyFy) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 6/9/17

Just a few days ago Mallozzi was talking up Dark Matter's great ratings on his blog.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-17, 05:29 PM   #17
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,858
Re: Dark Matter (SyFy) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 6/9/17

Every show not named Game of Thrones or Outlander I like gets cancelled. Sucks, was such a good show
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-17, 07:56 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 124
Re: Dark Matter (SyFy) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 6/9/17

that's too bad... really liked this season.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-17, 05:11 AM   #19
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 2,464
Re: Dark Matter (SyFy) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 6/9/17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
Sad to see it go especially without a conclusion. Maybe they will restart the comic. Killjoys must be a magnitude cheaper to produce because it was renewed for two season. I would have never though it would last longer then Dark Matter.
According to Mallozzi, "Killjoys" continues because it's a SyFy "original", and DM is a Canadian co-production. He offered many options, -budget cuts, a short final season, -but SyFy didn't want to hear it because they're focused on their own material.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-17, 05:32 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 871
Re: Dark Matter (SyFy) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 6/9/17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWilson View Post
According to Mallozzi, "Killjoys" continues because it's a SyFy "original", and DM is a Canadian co-production. He offered many options, -budget cuts, a short final season, -but SyFy didn't want to hear it because they're focused on their own material.
I've never understood the point of short seasons. Assuming episodes are profitable fewer episodes means less profit, and if they aren't profitable why do you want to lose even more money?

Usually production companies like partners because it reduces financial risk. If you want to own the whole thing you can buy out your partner. Partnerships usually have buyout clauses if your lawyers aren't dunces. Three years in you'd be buying a proven commodity rather than risking your money in an unproven future show without anybody to share the losses.

Didn't DM have better ratings than Killjoys? I wonder what they think they can replace DM with that will be more profitable.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-17, 06:59 AM   #21
DVD Talk Hero
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 47,969
Re: Dark Matter (SyFy) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 6/9/17

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
I've never understood the point of short seasons. Assuming episodes are profitable fewer episodes means less profit, and if they aren't profitable why do you want to lose even more money?
Cable makes less ad revenue than network TV. For most cable shows, they simply don't have the money to produce more than 10-13 episodes. There are some exceptions though.

I read Mallozzi's blog entry and it sounds like SyFy was turning a deaf ear regarding Dark Matter's future. Really sucks that he designed the show to run for 5 seasons and won't get to finish it unless a miracle happens.

This is similar to what happened with Continuum. The creator had planned a 7 season arc, but they were only given a 6 episode fourth and final season to wrap things up. I wonder why they didn't do the same here? Continuum was also an acquisition from Canada. Maybe the Space network was heavily relying on SyFy's co-financing to keep it going?

Last edited by DJariya; 09-03-17 at 07:33 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-17, 11:11 PM   #22
DVD Talk Hero
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 47,969
Re: Dark Matter (SyFy) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 6/9/17

Just watched the season finale. Solid episode, but terrible way to leave things. Lots of loose ends. I hope they can get someone to finance at least 1 more season.

Mallozzi sounded like he was planning a balls out crazy 4th season. I hope it can get made before they start losing actors. I think Melissa O'Neil will get offers and Roger Cross is the busiest black actor from Canada.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 08:45 AM   #23
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 2,464
Re: Dark Matter (SyFy) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 6/9/17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Just watched the season finale. Solid episode, but terrible way to leave things. Lots of loose ends. I hope they can get someone to finance at least 1 more season.

Mallozzi sounded like he was planning a balls out crazy 4th season. I hope it can get made before they start losing actors. I think Melissa O'Neil will get offers and Roger Cross is the busiest black actor from Canada.
Roger Cross is the Idris Elba of Ontario.
Jodelle Ferland (Five) has always kept busy, too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 01:32 PM   #24
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 1,380
Re: Dark Matter (SyFy) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 6/9/17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Cable makes less ad revenue than network TV. For most cable shows, they simply don't have the money to produce more than 10-13 episodes. There are some exceptions though.

I read Mallozzi's blog entry and it sounds like SyFy was turning a deaf ear regarding Dark Matter's future. Really sucks that he designed the show to run for 5 seasons and won't get to finish it unless a miracle happens.

This is similar to what happened with Continuum. The creator had planned a 7 season arc, but they were only given a 6 episode fourth and final season to wrap things up. I wonder why they didn't do the same here? Continuum was also an acquisition from Canada. Maybe the Space network was heavily relying on SyFy's co-financing to keep it going?

I understand the financial decisions but then why bother with shows not owned by SYFY to begin with? All SYFY shows have a rating ceiling and Dark Matter was pretty close to that level. How successful would it have had to been to get renewed?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 01:57 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 871
Re: Dark Matter (SyFy) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 6/9/17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
I understand the financial decisions but then why bother with shows not owned by SYFY to begin with? All SYFY shows have a rating ceiling and Dark Matter was pretty close to that level. How successful would it have had to been to get renewed?
It sounds like ratings played no part in the decision to cancel, but as you say why was this picked up if that's the case. I wonder if there has been a change of management at Syfy or NBC, and the new management only wants wholly owned shows. Of course that means you'll take a bigger hit if a show fails. I think DM was also canceled because it has no supernatural component, and one of the articles on DM's cancellation mentioned that as Syfy's future direction.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 AM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0