Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Twin Peaks (S1E03/E04) -- "The Return - Parts 3 & 4" -- 5/28/17

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-21-17, 06:18 AM

Received 4,555 Likes on 3,090 Posts

SPOILERS AHEAD. THESE TWO EPISODES WILL BE AVAILABLE ON SHOWTIME ON DEMAND ONE WEEK AHEAD OF THEIR AIRING.

Directed entirely by David Lynch, the new SHOWTIME 18-part limited event series TWIN PEAKS picks up 25 years after the inhabitants of a quaint northwestern town were stunned when their homecoming queen Laura Palmer was shockingly murdered. TWIN PEAKS will debut with a two-part premiere on Sunday, May 21 at 9 p.m. ET/PT across all SHOWTIME platforms. Immediately following the premiere, SHOWTIME subscribers will have access to the third and fourth parts exclusively on SHOWTIME streaming and On Demand platforms, in advance of their linear airing on SHOWTIME on May 28. One-hour parts will air in subsequent weeks, until the series moves to 8 p.m. ET/PT on Sunday, August 6. The series' finale will air on Sunday, Sept. 3 from 8 to 10 p.m. ET/PT with two back-to-back parts. TWIN PEAKS is written and executive produced by series creators David Lynch and Mark Frost, and is executive produced by Sabrina S. Sutherland.
Call for help.
...brings back some memories.
Old 05-21-17, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 595 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: Twin Peaks (S1E03/E04) -- "The Return - Parts 3 & 4" -- 5/28/17

So they're up now?

Checked, not up on Dtv yet
Old 05-21-17, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 543 Likes on 338 Posts

Episode three was even better than the first two. On to episode four now.
Old 05-22-17, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

I shouldn't really be surprised, but Lynch has come up with something so steeped in twin peaks lore as to turn off any new audience and yet so far removed from the original that a lot of old fans are going to be upset. Episode 4 probably resembles the original series the most of the first 4, but man, I have a feeling the backlash for this is going to be swift and severe. I love Lynch and twin peaks, so I'm still onboard, but I already get the sense that 18 hours might have been overkill. I also get the feeling that, similar to FWWM, a lot of the original cast will be nothing but gloried cameos. Oh, and I hate, hate, hate that this was shot digital. It just feels so wrong.
Old 05-22-17, 02:19 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Episode three is the best of the first four, but the Gordon/Albert stuff at the end of four was fantastic. The celebrity cameo threw me for a loop, and not necessarily in a good way.
Old 05-22-17, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Loving every second of this. It's Twin Peaks filtered through Mulholland Dr/Inland Empire Lynch, and it feels totally unhinged so far, in a great way. It will turn people off, but then again IMHO David Lynch has never been made for the world of hot takes, live blogs and online snark and backlash.

The opening of Episode 3 might just be the strangest Lynch has ever been, and I've seen both Eraserhead and Rabbits.
Old 05-22-17, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's a lot about this so far that I have liked and I never expected this to be a carbon copy of Twin Peaks v1.0. However, especially given Mark Frost's involvement, I'm a little surprised at just how foreign this all feels so far. It really is like Inland Empire with the occasional Twin Peaks character popping up.

I'm willing to let it all play out before making a full judgement, but the most disappointing aspect so far besides the digital photography is just how emotionally distant it all feels. Twin Peaks was an often times silly soap opera pastiche with the melodrama turned up to eleven, but the emotions always felt completely sincere. I think of the scene from the original series when Major Briggs tells Bobby about the dream he had about him. It had almost nothing to do with the plot of the show and on the page probably screamed treacle, but darn it if that isn't one of the most memorable and affecting scenes of the entire run. Compare that to Bobby's reintroduction in episode 4. He sees the picture of Laura and starts to break down, but it felt to me like Lynch was making fun of just how quick Bobby is to cry. It didn't help that the old music has been used so very very sparingly so far that when it did start to swell during that scene it felt incredibly out of place.

I probably sound like I'm way down on the new series, but I really am interested to see where it all goes. I've enjoyed just about any moment we've gotten with the old cast. I especially like how prominent Hawk has been so far. He was always a great but underused character. I also have enjoyed some of the new plot threads and am eager to see how they might tie in with the town of Twin Peaks. Hopefully we get the real Dale back at some point. I have enjoyed all the red room stuff, but the Cooper (any version) action in the real world has been hit or miss for me so far.
Old 05-22-17, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

While I like the general feel of the show, the direction, and acting, etc., I think it's taking too long to actually get to Twin Peaks. Episode 4 was closer, but I think the Agent Cooper stuff taking place all over the U.S. is taking me out of the show at times. Personally, I would have rather had him just emerge from the Black Lodge disoriented in Twin Peaks and gone from there instead of all this stuff with the outside characters. Still no Audrey. Bummer. But, I think we will probably get to see Diane next episode. I feel like Albert has mellowed a little and Kyle Maclachlan is doing a great job. I love the show, but I'm ready to anchor down and get to Twin Peaks already and stay there. It was probably a wise choice to air multiple episodes the first couple of weeks.
Old 05-22-17, 10:33 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by rocket1312
There's a lot about this so far that I have liked and I never expected this to be a carbon copy of Twin Peaks v1.0. However, especially given Mark Frost's involvement, I'm a little surprised at just how foreign this all feels so far. It really is like Inland Empire with the occasional Twin Peaks character popping up.

I'm willing to let it all play out before making a full judgement, but the most disappointing aspect so far besides the digital photography is just how emotionally distant it all feels. Twin Peaks was an often times silly soap opera pastiche with the melodrama turned up to eleven, but the emotions always felt completely sincere. I think of the scene from the original series when Major Briggs tells Bobby about the dream he had about him. It had almost nothing to do with the plot of the show and on the page probably screamed treacle, but darn it if that isn't one of the most memorable and affecting scenes of the entire run. Compare that to Bobby's reintroduction in episode 4. He sees the picture of Laura and starts to break down, but it felt to me like Lynch was making fun of just how quick Bobby is to cry. It didn't help that the old music has been used so very very sparingly so far that when it did start to swell during that scene it felt incredibly out of place.

I probably sound like I'm way down on the new series, but I really am interested to see where it all goes. I've enjoyed just about any moment we've gotten with the old cast. I especially like how prominent Hawk has been so far. He was always a great but underused character. I also have enjoyed some of the new plot threads and am eager to see how they might tie in with the town of Twin Peaks. Hopefully we get the real Dale back at some point. I have enjoyed all the red room stuff, but the Cooper (any version) action in the real world has been hit or miss for me so far.
I completely disagree about Bobby. I think that moment hit home just ow much of a raw wound the Laura Palmer stuff still is under the surface, and how easy it would be to resurface. Given that both Laura and Leland suggested to Cooper that Laura might not be really (or fully) dead, I think it was important to show how much impact her death still has on the people who were close to her.
Old 05-22-17, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts

I'm a bit confused by the two Coopers.

In the final scene of Twin Peaks, it's pretty unambiguously shown that BOB is now posessing Dale Cooper.

Now in the new Twin Peaks we're introduced to a murderous Dale Cooper with long hair (like BOB) that is going by the name "Dougie." A second Dale Cooper emerges from one of the Lodges (presumably the Black one). I take it that one of these is the "real" Dale Cooper, and the other is the doppleganger that inhabits the Black Lodge.

So is the Cooper that came back from tne Red Room in the series finale twenty-five years ago actually the doppleganger, and is he or isn't he under the control of BOB?

In the first two episodes of the new series I just assumed that BOB was inhabiting Dale Cooper's body while his soul was stuck in the Red Room/Black Lodge. But now I'm not sure which Cooper is which, and whether or not BOB is still a factor.

And all of the Phillip Jeffries references make me think David Bowie might have had a big part in this.
Old 05-22-17, 12:26 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I'm a bit confused by the two Coopers.

In the final scene of Twin Peaks, it's pretty unambiguously shown that BOB is now posessing Dale Cooper.

Now in the new Twin Peaks we're introduced to a murderous Dale Cooper with long hair (like BOB) that is going by the name "Dougie." A second Dale Cooper emerges from one of the Lodges (presumably the Black one). I take it that one of these is the "real" Dale Cooper, and the other is the doppleganger that inhabits the Black Lodge.

So is the Cooper that came back from tne Red Room in the series finale twenty-five years ago actually the doppleganger, and is he or isn't he under the control of BOB?

In the first two episodes of the new series I just assumed that BOB was inhabiting Dale Cooper's body while his soul was stuck in the Red Room/Black Lodge. But now I'm not sure which Cooper is which, and whether or not BOB is still a factor.

And all of the Phillip Jeffries references make me think David Bowie might have had a big part in this.
As far as I understand it, and I could be totally wrong:

The Black Lodge created an evil doppelgänger of Cooper, who escaped into the real world as a host for Bob. The real Cooper, not just his soul but his physical body as well, remained trapped. The Bob/Cooper created a decoy fake doppelgänger named Dougie and gave him the ring to the Lodge. This was done to avoid Bob/Cooper being summoned back into the Black Lodge after 25 years. Dougie was summoned instead, only to be revealed as a fake. The actual doppelgänger remains in the real world, but the Lodge dumped out the real Cooper per the "you cannot leave until he returns" line. Since both cannot exist in the real world in perpetuity, either Cooper of Bob/Cooper must die, per the vision of the one-armed man while Cooper was getting dressed.

The appearance of Dougie confused the hell out of me at first too.
Old 05-22-17, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I completely disagree about Bobby. I think that moment hit home just ow much of a raw wound the Laura Palmer stuff still is under the surface, and how easy it would be to resurface. Given that both Laura and Leland suggested to Cooper that Laura might not be really (or fully) dead, I think it was important to show how much impact her death still has on the people who were close to her.
You're probably right that that was the intention of the scene, but that's not how it played to me at all. Tonally it just didn't seem to fit with everything else that had happened up to that point. I mentioned the music and given just how sparingly it has been used so far, it almost feels anachronistic 4 hours in. That music might work within the context of a hyper stylized soap opera, but not so much in whatever we're calling this new series. Granted I had been watching for 3+ hours at that point and was up way past my bedtime, so I'll have to give the episodes another look in the two weeks before the next one comes out. I'd be thrilled if I watch it again and have the same reaction you did.
Old 05-22-17, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Black Lodge created an evil doppelgänger of Cooper, who escaped into the real world as a host for Bob. The real Cooper, not just his soul but his physical body as well, remained trapped. The Bob/Cooper created a decoy fake doppelgänger named Dougie and gave him the ring to the Lodge. This was done to avoid Bob/Cooper being summoned back into the Black Lodge after 25 years. Dougie was summoned instead, only to be revealed as a fake. The actual doppelgänger remains in the real world, but the Lodge dumped out the real Cooper per the "you cannot leave until he returns" line. Since both cannot exist in the real world in perpetuity, either Cooper of Bob/Cooper must die, per the vision of the one-armed man while Cooper was getting dressed.

I was just as confused as you guys with regards to Dougie. I think your explanation makes a lot of sense, but I couldn't help think that Dougie had some connection to Dougie Milford, a minor character in the show, but one who had much greater prominence in the Secret History of Twin Peaks book that I unfortunately didn't finish in time for the new series.
Old 05-22-17, 01:02 PM
Banned by request

I was just as confused as you guys with regards to Dougie. I think your explanation makes a lot of sense, but I couldn't help think that Dougie had some connection to Dougie Milford, a minor character in the show, but one who had much greater prominence in the Secret History of Twin Peaks book that I unfortunately didn't finish in time for the new series.
Doug Milford does have a prominent place in the book. Maybe Bob stole his first name for his decoy.
Old 05-22-17, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Episode three is the best of the first four, but the Gordon/Albert stuff at the end of four was fantastic. The celebrity cameo threw me for a loop, and not necessarily in a good way.
Disagree. Episode Four was the best for me - it's certainly the most "Twin Peaks"-like. Seeing Bobby's new job was a nice surprise, and who'd have thought Michael Cera would provide the biggest laughs so far?

As for Albert's line that "I don't know where she lives...I know where she drinks." I'm guessing Audrey? Most of you think Diane...I don't know, maybe you're right and that's who Laura Dern is playing.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 05-22-17 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-22-17, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Doug Milford does have a prominent place in the book. Maybe Bob stole his first name for his decoy.
I should also note that when Dougie Milford died in the series, he was wearing a ring that looked an awful lot like the owl cave ring. I think it was just a coincidence at the time, but something that could easily be retconned.
Old 05-22-17, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

However, especially given Mark Frost's involvement, I'm a little surprised at just how foreign this all feels so far.
Outside of co-writing the script with Lynch, Frost had ZERO involvement - he wasn't on set, and he didn't see what David was doing. Lynch probably threw half his stuff out.
Old 05-22-17, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, I think you've nailed it. This is my understanding as well.
Old 05-22-17, 02:11 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
No, I think you've nailed it. This is my understanding as well.
Sweet! I do recall Bobcoop saying in episode 3 that he'd be summoned back to the Black Lodge in a few days but he had a plan to avoid the summoning.

Also interesting is that apparently the Lodge can appear seemingly anywhere, whereas in season two it would on,y show up in certain spots, like the circle of trees outside of town.
Old 05-22-17, 02:44 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Wasn't Mr. C (bad Cooper) on Sycamore Street or Road or something when he flipped his car and the lodge appeared before him?
Old 05-22-17, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Outside of co-writing the script with Lynch, Frost had ZERO involvement - he wasn't on set, and he didn't see what David was doing. Lynch probably threw half his stuff out.
I'm not sure that's correct. I've seen at least one picture of him with Lynch on-set and he talks about reuniting on-set with cast members in this Variety interview (http://variety.com/2017/scene/vpage/...al-1202438683/).
Old 05-22-17, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loving it so far. Some scenes feel a little long, especially the one with Wally but nothing too bad. That female FBI agent is sexy as hell.

What was the deal with the meth mom yelling "119"?
Old 05-23-17, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

So, looks like Showtime just let Dave go the full Lynch with this. As a huge fan of the show I am missing some of the charm of the original series had in place of Lynch's bizarre style permeating the first four episodes.

That said, that bizarre style has always been a hook for me too so while right now this feels more like Lost Mulholland Inland Peaks as opposed to that little town with damn fine coffee, I'm in because weird Lynch is still amazing and on television still something unlike anything on right now.
Old 05-23-17, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts

I read this and was wondering how the hell you got a third Dale Cooper out the storyline, and then went back and rewatched it on my DVR.

When I was viewing it the first time, the download started buffering around the time Jade went to take a shower, so I stopped watching for a while and then went back to it, but I when I rewound I didn't go back far enough, and the first thing I saw was Dale Cooper emerging from the wall outlet. So I completely missed the scene with Dougie and MIKE in the Red Room.

Dougie's long hair made me think he was BOB Cooper, and Jade mentioning a "rug" when she found Dale on the floor reinforced that notion.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 05-23-17 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-23-17, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

This is correct.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.