Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor: Game Changers (S34E12) -- "It Is Not a High Without a Low" -- 5/10/17

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-17, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Survivor: Game Changers (S34E12) -- "It Is Not a High Without a Low" -- 5/10/17

AN EMOTIONAL REWARD CHALLENGE BRINGS LOVED ONES TOGETHER, ON "SURVIVOR," WEDNESDAY, MAY 10

"It Is Not a High Without a Low" - An emotional reward challenge brings loved ones together and one castaway receives invaluable advice from their special visitor, on SURVIVOR, Wednesday, May 10 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

"Maku Maku" Tribe

Andrea Boehlke

Aubry Bracco

Michaela Bradshaw

Brad Culpepper

Sierra Dawn-Thomas

Cirie Fields

Sarah Lacina

Troyzan Robertson

Tai Trang

Episode 12 of 15
Old 05-10-17, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts
Re: Survivor: Game Changers (S34E12) -- "It Is Not a High Without a Low" -- 5/10/17

Would have rather Brad left, but I'm not disappointed to see Sierra go either.

Sierra telling Sarah that she had an advantage that she would give her if she got voted out was one of the dumbest things I've seen in a while. If she hadn't done that Sarah might have even approved of the get Andrea out plan.
Old 05-10-17, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts
Re: Survivor: Game Changers (S34E12) -- "It Is Not a High Without a Low" -- 5/10/17

It was great watching Sarah try to act like she was shocked that Sierra was voted out. She was obviously trying to lock up that legacy advantage. Even Andrea seemed to notice her.
Old 05-11-17, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Well this episode was easy to burn through quickly. The entire first half hour was wasted with loved ones and most of the cast eating yet another huge feast on "Survivor."
Old 05-11-17, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

I loved that Sierra got voted out. Nothing personal against her ... she was one of the Final Three that I thought was spoiled for me early in the season. Now I know that spoiler was BS, and can enjoy not knowing what will happen.

I must be a Grinch because I'm not a fan of these "loved ones" episodes. I guess I could see losing it over a spouse that you haven't been apart from for years. But siblings/parents/adult children ... don't most people regularly go a month or more from seeing these types of relatives when they're adults?

Pretty sneaky of Officer Sarah ... and she still got the legacy advantage. She and Tai (with his 2 idols) should be able to make it to the last episode (final 5). And it could really be any combination of everyone else. Though it seems like Brad is the next to go, as soon as he loses an immunity challenge. Unless he convinces people he can't win since the jury wouldn't give it to a millionaire (but I don't think a "Game Changers" group would vote like that).
Old 05-11-17, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

[QUOTE=brainee;13070603]

I must be a Grinch because I'm not a fan of these "loved ones" episodes. I guess I could see losing it over a spouse that you haven't been apart from for years. But siblings/parents/adult children ... don't most people regularly go a month or more from seeing these types of relatives when they're adults?

[QUOTE]

Every Reality Comp pulls this one out, -even shows where they're taping in LA or Georgia for two weeks, and all the contestants just crumble. I've never understood that because my family is not that demonstrative, and I really just don't get that emotional about family. Hell, I don't even know who Survivor would get for me.
Two episodes left and we've got eight players, right? We're going to have to lose no less then two, perhaps three next week.
Old 05-11-17, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
There's a difference between choosing not to speak with a loved one and having that freedom taken away. Talk to someone in the military, specifically someone in the Navy whose been on deployment for months. You just can't pick up a phone and call someone whenever you feel like it.
Old 05-11-17, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Keep in mind they are on an island starving with no food,and nothing to do all day. A day or 2 might feel like a week in that environment so a family visit by day 28-30 to those people and they probably feel like they have not had any contact with the outside world in months.
Old 05-11-17, 10:48 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just once when they do the loved ones episode I'd like Jeff to announce that one side gets the feast and luxury plus a chance at some unknown extra strategic advantage, while the other side gets to visit with their loved ones but no other bonuses. Then whichever wins has to decide if they want the loved ones visit or the other bonuses.
Old 05-11-17, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez
Keep in mind they are on an island starving with no food,and nothing to do all day. A day or 2 might feel like a week in that environment so a family visit by day 28-30 to those people and they probably feel like they have not had any contact with the outside world in months.
I see the same behavior on Food Network comps.
Old 05-11-17, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
Just once when they do the loved ones episode I'd like Jeff to announce that one side gets the feast and luxury plus a chance at some unknown extra strategic advantage, while the other side gets to visit with their loved ones but no other bonuses. Then whichever wins has to decide if they want the loved ones visit or the other bonuses.
That's an outstanding idea!

One thing I did like about this "loved one" challenge ... I love when players are made to tip their hand about the pecking order in alliances. Though for all of her talk, Michaela just towed the alliance line in the end.
Old 05-12-17, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG

When you read that it seems like good idea, but I can't imagine it ever really working such that multiple folks would give up time with their loved ones. The real world optics alone would keep it from happening except for the occasional person like Russell Hantz.

Now personally, what I would like to see them do is to have an extra hour dedicated to the players, these loves ones, and their relationship coming into the game. Then have the traditional episode where we see them on the island together. It's always obvious that due to talking every day around camp, some players feel it will be a given that people will choose them to be with their loved one if given the chance. Give the audience more than 1 minute of background on that, OK?

As of the rest, I gave Sierra far too much credit for her game play. Telling Sarah (and in doing so, basically everybody) that she had the Legacy (and even giving the full lowdown on how it worked) was an idiot move. It's one thing to divulge an idol that can actually be used that round. If done right it can actually be a huge game play move. But to do the same with one that can't actually be used that round? Just plain stupid!

Last edited by hdnmickey; 05-14-17 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-14-17, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Yeah, huge WTF on that Sierra....you basically told Sara you would give her an advantage in the game in exchange for voting you out.
Old 05-15-17, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sarah is sitting pretty with Sierra just effectively donating that legacy advantage.

Are there 3 or 4 immunity idols out now? Along with the actual immunity challenge, is it theoretically possible only 1 or 2 people could get votes at F6 if all the idols were put in play?

Originally Posted by brainee
I don't like them either, seems like a lot of filler. I get the environment must take an emotional toll, but these are also returning players who should be a bit more used to it. If they miss their loved ones so much, maybe not go on the show 2 or 3 times?

--------------

I also like the idea of loved ones vs advantage (or a feast) mentioned earlier by DRG.
Old 05-15-17, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Even the most boring episodes are usually redeemed by a memorable moment or two. This one had nothing. The stretched out loved one interactions might have pulled on the emotional strings for some. But as a few others have indicated, they didn't do anything for me.
Old 05-15-17, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

I fast forwarded most of this episode and feel like I did not miss much. This thread did help me realize that Sierra's game play regarding the legacy advantage was not very strategic.
Old 05-15-17, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wirefan
I don't like them either, seems like a lot of filler. I get the environment must take an emotional toll, but these are also returning players who should be a bit more used to it. If they miss their loved ones so much, maybe not go on the show 2 or 3 times?
And often at key times they knew were coming before heading off in an attempt to become the next big reality TV breakout star.
Old 05-17-17, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I was several episodes behind on Survivor, but I'm caught up now. I'm hoping maybe Andrea can win the rest of the Immunity Challenges or she's out. I personally think Sarah, Tai, or Troyzan wins it all. They have the biggest advantages and are probably not seen as huge threats as of right now.
Old 05-17-17, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Troyzan winning would be hilarious and it would salvage something out of a season that I am finding pretty dull, which surprises me since going in I expected a little more from a "Game Changers" season. I honestly think part of the problem is they pamper (relatively speaking) all star casts. When a tribe is really struggling and starts dropping pretenses is when it gets interesting.
Old 05-17-17, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Troyzan winning would be hilarious and it would salvage something out of a season that I am finding pretty dull, which surprises me since going in I expected a little more from a "Game Changers" season. I honestly think part of the problem is they pamper (relatively speaking) all star casts. When a tribe is really struggling and starts dropping pretenses is when it gets interesting.
I was really hoping that since this is a "Game Changers" season that they would unmerge and divide them into teams again, but that hasn't happened. BTW have they ever done that? I don't ever remember it....
Old 05-17-17, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I too would get a kick out of Troyzan actually winning given he fell into the "one of these people is not like the others" when they started out by saying this was a group of the best "game changing" returning players.

But I also think there is little chance of that happening. If he was to make it to the end it would be against somebody more deserving.
Old 05-17-17, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I was really hoping that since this is a "Game Changers" season that they would unmerge and divide them into teams again, but that hasn't happened. BTW have they ever done that? I don't ever remember it....
I could easily be mistaken, but I have a faint recollection of a season where they went from three to two and back to three tribes? But I don't recall them ever undoing the merge to one.

I get why they went away from just going with a single tribe the entire season, but how about a season were they reshuffle after every tribal? I think that could be really interesting.
Old 05-17-17, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For the un-merge to make sense they would have to merge for a week or two when there are far more players left. Then they could re-merge when there are still enough players there left to legitimately populate new tribes. Any less than 5 players per tribe doesn't make a lot of sense.
Old 05-17-17, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Troyzan winning would seem pretty unlikely given that's he been mostly absent from the show's edit. He's also had very few "confessionals."

Although, Michelle was pretty much under the radar on the show, a few season ago, and she went on to come on strong near the end.
Old 05-17-17, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by windom
Troyzan winning would seem pretty unlikely given that's he been mostly absent from the show's edit. He's also had very few "confessionals."

Although, Michelle was pretty much under the radar on the show, a few season ago, and she went on to come on strong near the end.
I'm almost hoping Aubry (since I have her in the dvdtalk pool) or Troyzan come out of nowhere and win it all via a Michelle type win. I also don't feel that Adam was featured that much last season until the last few episodes.