TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Silicon Valley (HBO) -- Season 4 Thread -- Premieres 4/23/17

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-17, 01:04 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Silicon Valley (HBO) -- Season 4 Thread -- Premieres 4/23/17

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
But what kind of living? A seedy studio apartment in Hollywood?
If that. More like a shitty apartment in North Hollywood or the surrounding San Fernando Valley.

I bet 80% of all comedians make under $75K a year, Another 15% make $75K-250K and the remaining 5% make $250K-on up- to Kevin Hart type money. The last 20% include comedians that act on TV/Movies.

Twenty years ago I had a friend that worked as a comedian on a cruise ship (in that industry anyway) he didn't even last two years it was such a brutal grind. He saw the world tho. He made decent money for a single 25 year old guy but it was no life to live if you wanted to be married and settle down somewhere. He sells insurance now and has a wife, kids, house, etc,..
Old 06-26-17, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
There's an item on Entertainment Weekly that says that had TJ stayed it would have been a cliffhanger, and he would eventually make his way back after insulting his way through many world cultures throughout the season. TJ decided this was a good place to leave his character, and doesn't intend to come back, since it would ruin the joke for him.
It also says they knew there was a possibility TJ would leave. They wrote something that would work either way.
Old 06-26-17, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

smart fridges
Old 06-26-17, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Keep putting salt on the wounds, jerks:

T.J. Miller's Dad Told Him That 'Silicon Valley' Was Starting To Suck

https://www.yahoo.com/news/t-j-mille...151453202.html

About a month ago, HBO revealed that while its hit show “Silicon Valley” will be returning for another season, one of its foremost stars, T.J. Miller, will not.

The news caused a mild uproar among the show’s dedicated fan base and led to questions about why Miller would not be coming back.

In a lengthy new interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Miller gives more than a few reasons. While the comedian had kind words to say about many people on the show ― and said he felt he was leaving the show “at its height” to let other characters grow ― he also made it clear he thought “Silicon Valley” had some problems.

“I just thought that what the show has suffered from, what’s bad about it, is that Richard is the CEO and then he isn’t but then he finds his way back to be CEO, and then once he finds his way back to being the CEO he says he doesn’t want to be the CEO, and it’s just the same thing over and over,” Miller said.

He added: “And even my father when I told him that I was leaving was like, ‘Yeah, we watched three or four episodes in a row and it’s kind of one-note. I think it’s a good idea [to leave].’ So I had the perfect father-son moment with him going, “Yeah, it’s starting to kind of suck. It’s a little stale. You’re becoming a bit hack.”

Miller clearly adores many of the other actors on the show, especially Zach Woods (Jared) and Jimmy O. Yang (Jian-Yang). But Miller also took some parting shots on his way out, saying things like, “I don’t like [‘Silicon Valley’ executive producer] Alec [Berg].”

“He went to Harvard, and we all know those kids are f**king idiots. That Crimson trash. Those comedy writers in Hollywood are f**king Harvard graduates and that’s why they’re smug as a bug,” Miller said.

Perhaps even more notably, Miller revealed some quiet tension with the show’s star, Thomas Middleditch, who plays Pied Piper CEO Richard Hendricks. When the reporter asked how the cast members responded to his departure, Miller began, “This is where the publicist is supposed to step in and go, ‘Next question.’”

He said that Woods, Kumail Nanjiani (Dinesh) and Martin Starr (Gilfoyle) all took the news well. But Miller didn’t mention Middleditch until later, when he said, “A very good article was written that says that Erlich in the show is just this constant annoyance to Richard ... And I think in some ways, that is analogous to real life.”

“We [Miller and Middleditch] have a contrarian relationship, like a big brother-little brother relationship. And this is also an opportunity for me to be like, ‘Let me just step off, dude. Like, just do your f**king thing. You’re amazing.’”

Anyway, if you’re hoping that Miller will ever return for a cameo, the answer certainly sounds like “no.”

“I will never be on ‘Silicon Valley’ again,” he said. “That character, as you have seen, disappeared into the ether.”
Old 06-26-17, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
smart fridges
That was a good gag.

"I already have upwards of 50 burnt perinea on my conscience. Richard, that's enough."
Old 06-26-17, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I'm completely fine losing Miller, but I can't believe they just left him in an opium den! In some ways, I think that fits the character, but really, it seemed more like a middle finger to him in some ways. I can't think of a much shittier end than for one of the most disliked characters on the show to dump him basically because he's so annoying. Odd ending for him, but I'm ready to get on with things.

That being said, he's not completely incorrect in his assessment of the show. The way it recycles and repeats storylines has been complained about here before.

Also, getting back to this episode, there's something about crazy Richard that just made me feel uncomfortable. I didn't like seeing what his character devolved into. I also have mixed feelings on how things were reset. I liked how the throwaway refrigerator gag paid off, but it also seemed too easy and convenient.
Old 06-26-17, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk God

yeah, he's not wrong about the show in terms of it retreading plots points. it does. my main complaint of the show. i'd really like to see them succeed for once, like truly succeed, then once they are there, having to deal with the issues of being a successful company.
Old 06-26-17, 04:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree, this season has been rather painful to watch, and last night's episode (along with Richard's complete loss of morals) was pretty much the breaking point for me.

Hopefully they find a way to turn things around, because I don't know how much longer I'm willing to give this show before moving on.
Old 06-26-17, 05:02 PM
Premium Member

Received 698 Likes on 466 Posts

I'm in the camp that thinks the Richard character has gone over the top now. He's been very awkward to watch the last couple eps.

I did like the nonchalantness of Big Head's reveal of the truck door open. Parts all strewn in the street, and he just comes back and says something about not realizing they didn't have that much equipment and to just put it on his desk.
Old 06-26-17, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, he's not wrong about the show in terms of it retreading plots points. it does. my main complaint of the show. i'd really like to see them succeed for once, like truly succeed, then once they are there, having to deal with the issues of being a successful company.
Agreed, I really thought after season 2 (I think) when they ended up finding an office space to set up that they would move them into a position of success and have them get challenged as far as staying on top and continuing the platform. Glad they brought Richard back after having him go full on Psycho D bag. Although some folks may not be able to get over it. I guess with the way things ended this season we are not going to get that anytime soon with the images that are being displayed on the smart fridges.
Old 06-26-17, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Flatlander
Agreed, I really thought after season 2 (I think) when they ended up finding an office space to set up that they would move them into a position of success and have them get challenged as far as staying on top and continuing the platform. Glad they brought Richard back after having him go full on Psycho D bag. Although some folks may not be able to get over it. I guess with the way things ended this season we are not going to get that anytime soon with the images that are being displayed on the smart fridges.
I almost think Richard is un-redeemable. He was too over the top psycho, and I was actually disappointed that they went back to him. He has become completely unlikable.
Old 06-26-17, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Richard is actually my least favorite character on the show, but I like everyone else which is why I watch it.
Old 06-26-17, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

So Pied Piper gets saved by the skin of its teeth, Gavin is back in charge at hooli, and he's coming for Richard and his company. Does this sound familiar?
Old 06-26-17, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
So Pied Piper gets saved by the skin of its teeth, Gavin is back in charge at hooli, and he's coming for Richard and his company. Does this sound familiar?
You mean like, every season, ever?
Old 06-27-17, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Keep putting salt on the wounds, jerks:

T.J. Miller's Dad Told Him That 'Silicon Valley' Was Starting To Suck

“I just thought that what the show has suffered from, what’s bad about it, is that Richard is the CEO and then he isn’t but then he finds his way back to be CEO, and then once he finds his way back to being the CEO he says he doesn’t want to be the CEO, and it’s just the same thing over and over,” Miller said.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/t-j-mille...151453202.html
Said so!

Originally Posted by slop101
Man, good thing this show is funny, because whatever there is of a plot is just the same thing on a loop and doesn't seem to go anywhere.
Old 06-27-17, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk God

I don't think anyone is arguing anything different.
Old 06-27-17, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Agreed.

I enjoy the show and am impressed with the different ways they've had Pied Piper get temporary success, and the different ways they keep failing... but at this point they need to finally get over the hump and onto the next level.

Since TJ Miller gone, Erlich's incubator really isn't needed - so it's as good time for PP to reach the next level and actually have a real company with real office space. They can then face obstacles with their competition and trying to grow the firm. They really need to break out of this cycle now.
Old 06-27-17, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

I hate to pile on, but as I watched that last conversation at the end of the episode, I was kind of hoping they'd announce one of those "Final Season"s that are so popular now. However, the producer says he isn't thinking of an endgame yet.
Old 06-27-17, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Yeah.

very weak end to the season, and this show is on the verge of being some real crappolla.

Will tune in again next year, but I can see myself drifting away with this rinse and repeat nonsense.
Old 06-27-17, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Yeah, I really hate Richard right now, even more than Gavin, so much that his turnaround didn't even help.
Old 06-27-17, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/I3RUflwPlH8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5FdmnmVBQXI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-29-17, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

There was very little Monica this season, which is highly disappointing. In fact, Raviga or Bream/Hall seem unnecessary at this point. Hope they fix that quickly.
Old 06-29-17, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
There was very little Monica this season, which is highly disappointing. In fact, Raviga or Bream/Hall seem unnecessary at this point. Hope they fix that quickly.
They are backing Pied Piper now so my guess is that they will be more prominent next season.
Old 07-02-17, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Finally got around to watching the episode and the editing and overall feel of it seemed rushed. As if they knew TJ had quit and they had to come up with something fast. Hell, we didn't even get to see that pretty girls, I forget her name, but she sits right across the men's bathroom. Also, the gag with the phones exploding and burning crotches off -- there was absolute no lead into that. When the episode started I thought I may have missed something.

Yes, the opium den gag is funny as is the refrigerator one, too. I just thought the ending seemed rushed. I'll still tune in next year, though.

This still makes me laugh like hell

Old 07-02-17, 06:02 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

C'mon guys... (ladies). Seriously? You're all starting to sound like the very HBO executives that would cancel a show like SV because they don't get it, "Pied Piper never succeeds?"

First off, of all the things... mutha fuckin' Mike Judge!!! We are blessed to have his creativity on an HBO series, especially in this day and age... need I say more? The repetitive nature of the show is in fact the genius of it. I personally love the constant tease of Pied Piper achieving success (we all inherently want to see this happen) never truly comes to fruition or gets torpedoed somehow. This repetitive story arc make Silicon Valley one of the most meta shows currently on TV... Pied Piper continually killing itself. Mutha fuckin' Mike Judge, god damn genius.

Silicon Valley is not a show that is going to give you your happy ending.

Let's enjoy the ride while it lasts because one day we will miss it when it's gone. I'm not saying we can't be critical of it. That's the specialty of DVDTalk (ironically, which itself won't be around long to see any long term success).

I know Miller's exit from the show was realized mid-way through the filming of season four. I don't buy his dad's bullshit reasoning either. This was solely based on money nothing more, nothing less. Miller is a liar if he says otherwise and he knows it. All actors pulling a check are whores for money. Miller was renegotiating his contract for season five and the producers and HBO said go pound sand.

Last edited by hal9000; 07-02-17 at 09:51 PM. Reason: typo

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.