Timeless (S1E14) -- "The Lost Generation" -- 2/6/17

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-17, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Timeless (S1E14) -- "The Lost Generation" -- 2/6/17

"TIMELESS"

"THE LOST GENERATION" ORIGINAL

02/06/2017 (10:00PM - 11:00PM) (Monday) : A NEW SOLIDER JOINS LUCY AND RUFUS TO CHASE FLYNN THROUGH ROARING TWENTIES' PARIS. As Lucy (Abigail Spencer) grapples with her newfound identity, Flynn (Goran Visnjic) disappears to 1927 France on the day that Charles Lindbergh (guest star Jesse Luken) completes his transatlantic flight. Now, Rufus (Malcolm Barrett), Lucy and their new soldier scramble through the City of Lights and team with young reporter, Ernest Hemingway (guest star Brandon Barash), to keep history intact. Meanwhile, locked in an undisclosed location, a despondent Wyatt (Matt Lanter) gets a visit from Agent Christopher (Sakina Jaffrey), and the pair is left wondering if their enemies are closer than they realize. Also starring Paterson Joseph and Claudia Doumit. Guest starring Susanna Thompson, John Getz, Jim Beaver and Annie Wersching. TV-PG D, L, V

Episode 14 of 16
Old 02-06-17, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Timeless (S1E14) -- "The Lost Generation" -- 2/6/17

This series has turned out to be a pleasant surprise. Looking forward to how these last three eps. play out. Sure hope this gets renewed.
Old 02-07-17, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I hope this gets renewed. I was surprised by
Spoiler:
what happened to the new soldier.
Old 02-07-17, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by writer106
I hope this gets renewed. I was surprised by
Spoiler:
what happened to the new soldier.
I agree.

Things certainly advanced this episode, but definitely felt like filler.

I wonder what information Flynn got out of the French automaker.

I wish Lucy had of confronted him with what happen to Wyatt after his side mission went askew. At least Wyatt had some probing thoughts on the meaning of life and how events led to his current situation.

What's interesting, yet frustrating, is that Lucy was just given her diary. Yet the copy Flynn has is old and worn. Reminds me a bit of River Song's diary come to think of it.

I seriously hope this gets renewed since I have a feeling it's going to end on a ,assign cliffhanger. Isn't Grimm ending? Maybe they'd at least give it a Friday slot, although I think it would be better served on Sundays or an earlier 8pm slot.
Old 02-07-17, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Decent episode. I have faith that this will get renewed.

If Grimm can last six seasons airing on Friday nights, this show can earn a second season.
Old 02-08-17, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cdoug57
This series has turned out to be a pleasant surprise. Looking forward to how these last three eps. play out. Sure hope this gets renewed.
agreed, I usually don't stick with the network procedural shows these days (other than this is us), but this has been a lot of fun. Great to look at, fun brain teaser and a history lesson in every ep.

Hope it gets another season.
Old 02-08-17, 09:18 AM

I said, when I stopped watching this early on, it won't get renewed. I'm sticking to that prediction.
Old 02-08-17, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wasn't surprised at all that Wyatt's replacement died on the mission. It was just a one-off episode to allow for that setup where they are now openly defying Rittenhouse with Wyatt as part of the rogue group.

While I would love for this to get renewed (Agree about Grimm), they can only make this going rogue plot last so long now that they are going there. Would have to come up with something completely new before long.

This is the firs time I didn't really like the guest stars playing the famous characters. None of them really stood out like Houdini and others have in other episodes.
Old 02-08-17, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
Decent episode. I have faith that this will get renewed.

If Grimm can last six seasons airing on Friday nights, this show can earn a second season.
Problem is the ratings have dropped so much in the last few months. It's now getting barely good cable ratings. Grimm is owned by NBC and that's why I assume they hung on to it for so long. This show is owned by Sony. NBC doesn't make make the same kind of money like Grimm. And potential future revenue all goes to Sony.

Timeless would have been better as a 8pm show. However, NBC was so set on using The Voice as a lead-in for it. Now it's getting even worse ratings with the awful Arnold celebrity Apprentice as it's lead-in.

It was a fun mission of the week episode, but it did feel mostly like filler.

I liked how Rufus was so smitten with Josephine Baker.

Lucy getting her clean brand new diary was another interesting element. I really can't see them wrapping the season in a nice and tidy bow. It's going to end on some kind of cliffhanger to sell another season.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-08-17 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-08-17, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

Timeless would have been better as a 8pm. However, NBC was so set on using The Voice as a lead-in for it. Now it's getting even worse ratings with the awful Arnold celebrity Apprentice as it's lead-in.
I agree that 8pm would have been a better timeslot. I always DVR and watch it the next day due to the 10 pm airing. I need my sleep before an early work day!

It's the one thing that FOX does right (local news at 10pm instead of a primetime show)

Damn I'm getting old. I look forward to local news these days!!
Old 02-08-17, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure an earlier slot would have done any good. The core audience is what it is, and they will record it if necessary. The core just isn't big enough. Sad that AARP stuff like NCIS does so much better, but it's reality. Somebody will probably say no way, but it would be cool if this was one of those series that gets shifted to cable and survives.
Old 02-08-17, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Somebody will probably say no way, but it would be cool if this was one of those series that gets shifted to cable and survives.
No way. However give NBC credit for attempting something, but it was obvious from the beginning this was going to have a very limited audience.
Old 02-08-17, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

If it's not cable or CW it seems that every show has to be a doctor, lawyer or cop show or it will get cancelled.
Old 02-08-17, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Astrofan
No way. However give NBC credit for attempting something, but it was obvious from the beginning this was going to have a very limited audience.
I don't know that I agree with that. If the tone of the show was set up a bit differently with the focus of the team working through history to stop something Flynn put in place, or research where things went wrong without immediately knowing, then it could have adopted a more procedural setup. I'm thinking more ala Quantum Leap.

I thought the second episode setup more drama than the pilot. Honestly, I don't think the pilot had a big enough hook at the end to grab people.

All that said, I still greatly enjoy the show and don't want it to get cancelled. I'd be fine if they got 12-13 episodes next fall to wrap things up. Frankly, I think NBC needs to bring closure to projects and build good will towards viewers rather than just can half finished shows.
Old 02-08-17, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
If it's not cable or CW it seems that every show has to be a doctor, lawyer or cop show or it will get cancelled.
Too true.

Originally Posted by Superman07
...then it could have adopted a more procedural setup. I'm thinking more ala Quantum Leap.
Barf. I'm sure I'm not the only one that was already disappointed by how much of a procedural Timeless already is. So many of the missions could have been much better played out over multiple episodes. The one with the original Rittenhouse for example.

The last thing sci-fi shows should do is try to appease the AARP crowd like Quantum Leap. That shows plays out like NCIS with time travel. Shows I watch while multi-tasking more important things.
Old 02-08-17, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Too true.

Barf. I'm sure I'm not the only one that was already disappointed by how much of a procedural Timeless already is. So many of the missions could have been much better played out over multiple episodes. The one with the original Rittenhouse for example.

The last thing sci-fi shows should do is try to appease the AARP crowd like Quantum Leap. That shows plays out like NCIS with time travel. Shows I watch while multi-tasking more important things.
Didn't say I wanted that, just that it would have garnered more ratings.
Old 02-08-17, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superman07
Didn't say I wanted that, just that it would have garnered more ratings.
Ok, must have misread that. But I disagree. This kind of show is going to have a very specific audience these days and I'm not sure they want a procedural. Which much of this has been given the mission of the week format. So those procedural fans mostly got their wish and those that would have really got into a more in depth sci-fi story line had to deal with a less than optimal format.
Old 02-09-17, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

I don't think Timeless is coming back. It's been fun, if a little lighter in tone than I generally prefer from my sci-fi.

Hindsight being 20-20, I think they needed to push a more serialized narrative those first few episodes. Many sci-fi fans are turned off by procedurals, no matter how clever or well-done they may be.
Old 02-09-17, 08:05 PM

It seems obvious to me that Flynn is using the journal from the future to fix the past.
Old 02-09-17, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I don't think Timeless is coming back.
I will actually miss the little (light) history lessons.
Old 02-10-17, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I don't think Timeless is coming back. It's been fun, if a little lighter in tone than I generally prefer from my sci-fi.

Hindsight being 20-20, I think they needed to push a more serialized narrative those first few episodes. Many sci-fi fans are turned off by procedurals, no matter how clever or well-done they may be.
I also think a serialized narrative would have helped or a setup where they spent two episodes at specific historical event.
Old 02-10-17, 12:56 AM

I just remembered the show time travel show Journeyman which NBC did in the fall of 2007. I really liked that show and I was sad when it got canned. I remember liking it at the time because I was bored with the various cop, doctor, and lawyer shows.
Old 02-10-17, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I just remembered the show time travel show Journeyman which NBC did in the fall of 2007. I really liked that show and I was sad when it got canned. I remember liking it at the time because I was bored with the various cop, doctor, and lawyer shows.
I liked that show. At least it was able to wrap a few things up. If a non doctor, lawyer or cop show is on a major network I basically need to think of it as a mini series.

Last edited by Xiroteus; 02-10-17 at 01:41 AM.
Old 02-10-17, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Journeyman was excellent and because they knew they were being canceled, they wrapped everything up in the final episode. I would hope the same could happen with Timeless.

This show is one of the few that has spurred discussion in our home, and research on the Internet to learn more about the history. I'd take a different approach from many in this thread and lighten it up a little more and push it back to 7 pm. Let it be a family lead in, but with the drama and action it currently has. This is the kind of show you could possibly get US schools (or at least homeschools) behind if done right, and they would be a steady, loyal audience.
Old 02-10-17, 05:05 PM

Let's face it. Time travel episodic television will never be more than niche.

Time Trax, 7 Days, 12 Monkeys, Journeyman, Timeless. Usually 1 or 2 seasons and that's it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.