Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Sharknado 5: Global Swarming -- 8/6/17

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-17, 11:30 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Sharknado 5: Global Swarming -- 8/6/17

Another Sharknado is getting ready to hit Syfy.

The NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment network has officially greenlit Sharknado 5, it was announced Thursday.

Original stars Ian Ziering and Tara Reid will return for the international installment, which will film in more than five countries around the world including the UK, Australia and Bulgaria. Principal photography began Thursday in the latter country.

According to the official description for Sharknado 5, "with much of North America lying in ruins, the rest of the world braces for the inevitable -- a global sharknado. Fin Shepard (Ziering) and his family must put a stop to this disaster before Earth is completely obliterated."

Anthony C. Ferrante, who directed the first four films, will once again step behind the camera. Scotty Mullen penned the script.

Sharknado 5 hails from Syfy and The Asylum, who are also collaborators on the Syfy zombie drama Z Nation.

No premiere date was given for the sequel, but previous installments of Sharknado have bowed in summer, specifically July.

The first Sharknado debuted in July 2013 to a solid 1.4 million viewers and 556,000 viewers in the ages 18-49 demo, buoyed by a strong response on social media. However, ratings have dipped since then for the respective sequels.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...ebook_20170202

The joke is over!!!
Old 02-02-17, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
re: Sharknado 5: Global Swarming -- 8/6/17

Besides the Sharknado franchise,have they(The Asylum) all but stopped producing movies made for the SyFy Channel? I check every Saturday night and can't recall the last time a new movie was shown(besides the Sharknado's).
Old 02-02-17, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I didn't even watch Sharknado 4. I know it's on Netflix now, but I don't have any itching to see it.

The joke is really tired now. I can't imagine a 5th movie will bring out much interest even if it does air in the summer when it's slow in TV land.
Old 02-02-17, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Besides the Sharknado franchise,have they(The Asylum) all but stopped producing movies made for the SyFy Channel? I check every Saturday night and can't recall the last time a new movie was shown(besides the Sharknado's).
I made the same complaint prior to Sharknado 4 coming out, but at the time it turned out that they had a weeks worth of original films come out in a row leading to the premiere of the latest Sharknado. I still would have preferred if the 4 or 5 (I think at least 4 original films hit before the Sharknado 4 film debut) films were stretched out over the course of a year (it felt like in the olden days there was a Syfy original...produced by Asylum or someone else, at least once every two months).

It is definitely noticeable that fewer Syfy originals pop up on the airwaves, and I for one would love to see Syfy tweak their original film line up. It used to be you would get your originals throughout the year, and a handful of films that lined up with a handful of holidays such as Halloween, and Christmas (or if not a direct Christmas themed Syfy original, a film or two that took advantage of the winter season).
Old 02-02-17, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I didn't even watch Sharknado 4. I know it's on Netflix now, but I don't have any itching to see it.

The joke is really tired now. I can't imagine a 5th movie will bring out much interest even if it does air in the summer when it's slow in TV land.
It was stale with Sharknado 2. Even Rifftrax seemed to be having a hard time with that one.
Old 02-02-17, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm pretty sure I haven't watched 3 or 4. Guess I must be missing out if they are making a 5.
Old 02-03-17, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
It was stale with Sharknado 2. Even Rifftrax seemed to be having a hard time with that one.
Kinda hard to parody parody, especially with movies like Sharknado which go so far ridiculous that there almost aren't many movies like these.

I and my son enjoy them. We haven't seen part 4 yet but we pick up the 3 pack on Blu-ray because he wanted to see them. I groaned but watched them with him and ended up enjoying them for what they are. Ridiculously dumb and funny and have no shred of seriousness at all. With the craziness of part 3, I look forward to seeing part 4 and 5. It is amazing to see the writers one-up themselves after each continually sillier entry.
Old 02-03-17, 09:21 AM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

I wonder what the snappy title will be for Part 5? I'll go ahead and make a prediction that there will be a Part 6 and they'll call it "Sharknado: Revenge of the Sixth". Or maybe not.
Old 02-03-17, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 170 Posts

Multiple reports from last October of it being called "Sharknado 5...Earth 0"
Old 02-03-17, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 170 Posts

(And I would vote for a 6th to be Sharknado: The Sixth Nonsense"
Old 06-01-17, 02:13 PM

Sharknado 5: Global Swarming was unveiled Thursday as official title for Syfy’s latest orgy of excess, debuting August 6 and airing in more than 100 countries. The tagline for this next exercise in high-camp hate-watching: “Make America Bait Again!”

Fabio will play the pope, Charo has been cast as queen of England, and Chris Kattan is the British PM. Gilbert Gottfried will play storm chaser Ron McDonald, and Today veterans Al Roker, Kathie Lee Gifford and Hoda Kotb will appear as, well, themselves in the project. Also cast in cameos are Clay Aiken, Tony Hawk, Olivia Newton-John, Bret Michaels and Margaret Cho as a fussy bride whose honeymoon is interrupted by sharks.

The fifth edition’s name and tagline are the result of a social initiative launched in April, in which Syfy says it invited Facebook users to submit their ideas via interactive bot.

In this latest iteration, the mission gets personal for Fin Shepard (Ian Ziering) and his bionic wife, April (Tara Reid), when their young son gets trapped in a traveling ‘nado and transported all over the world. From London to Rio, Tokyo, Rome and Amsterdam, the heroes seek assistance from royals, scholars, Olympians and news talking heads in their epic battle.

Sharknado 5: Global Swarming, a production of The Asylum, is directed by Anthony C. Ferrante based on an original screenplay by Scotty Mullen.
http://deadline.com/2017/06/sharknad...-6-1202105824/
Old 06-01-17, 02:58 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Sharknado 5: Global Swarming -- 8/6/17

Haven't seen 4, but the first one is the only one I sort of enjoyed. It was dumb in a simple, fun way. The rest just feel like they are trying too hard... they're like Seltzer and Friedberg parodies of the original.
Old 06-02-17, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
The Syfy channel has shifted their priority and budget into producing original TV series like The Expanse and The Magicians than the endless array of cheap movies they used to push.

They are definitely churning out fewer cheap tv movies these days.
Old 06-02-17, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The Syfy channel has shifted their priority and budget into producing original TV series like The Expanse and The Magicians than the endless array of cheap movies they used to push.

They are definitely churning out fewer cheap tv movies these days.
Then why did they poop out 12 Monkeys season 3 in a weekend? That's got to be one of their top shows.
Old 06-02-17, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

They still show movies on Saturday night. Almost always reruns. Once a month wouldn't be asking much.

They should split into TV series and movies. I watch both but prefer movies(especially the cheap B type).

Chiller should pick up the slack but their movies even aren't good enough too be classified as B movies.
Old 06-04-17, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by cleaver
Then why did they poop out 12 Monkeys season 3 in a weekend? That's got to be one of their top shows.
I think 12 Monkeys would have already been canceled if it wasn't such a good show. The season three broadcast seems to have been an experiment of some kind.
Old 06-15-17, 01:04 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/47-ej3b2-28" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-27-17, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bAuIXCDd2Fw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-06-17, 07:32 AM

Pack your passport and grab a chainsaw, because SHARKNADO is going global! Taking the world - and unsuspecting celebrities - by storm, the movie event of the century blows into town this summer, and today, SYFY and The Asylum revealed its chilling title: SHARKNADO 5: GLOBAL SWARMING. The latest installment in the hit pop culture franchise premieres on SYFY Sunday, August 6 at 8/7c and will air in more than 100 countries. SHARKNADO 5: GLOBAL SWARMING and the film's official tagline, "Make America Bait Again!," are the result of a fan-sourced social initiative launched this April. Calling on fans for inspiration, SYFY invited Facebook users to submit their most creative and outrageous ideas via an interactive bot. In SHARKNADO 5: GLOBAL SWARMING, the mission gets personal for Fin Shepard (Ian Ziering) and his bionic wife, April (Tara Reid) when their young son gets trapped in a traveling 'nado and transported all over the world. From London to Rio, Tokyo, Rome, Amsterdam and beyond, our globetrotting heroes will seek assistance from a highly-skilled squad of royals, scholars and Olympians, enlisting famous faces from news, entertainment, and sports in their most epic battle yet.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Cassie Scerbo as Nova Clarke
· Ian Ziering as Fin Shepard
· Tara Reid as April Wexler

CREW INFORMATION:
· Anthony C. Ferrante as DIR
· Scotty Mullen as WRTR
Old 08-06-17, 11:24 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Sharknado marathon has started on SyFy. Which helps due to complex storylines.
Old 08-06-17, 12:03 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

now, can i watch the latest without having seen a second of the others? will i be lost?

Last edited by OldBoy; 08-06-17 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-06-17, 12:21 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

More than likely. Complex stories all interconnected.

Umm....they're all called Sharknado....We're all lost, and no one is found with these movies.
Old 08-06-17, 12:59 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

When the sharks are our overlords they will not look back upon this kindly.
Old 08-06-17, 06:11 PM

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

So they had some original shark themed originals leading up to Sharknado 5 and most were not good with to put it mildly really bad special effects (of course I watched them all). The films really made me miss the old days when you would get more originals per year and the films were not all shark related. I could have sworn a few years back one of the lead in films was Lavantula with Steve Guttenberg (not a great film, but at least not shark themed).

I also miss the shark themed films that involved beasties like Sharktopus.
Old 08-06-17, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, I actually like the shark themed stuff during the week over Sharknado 5.

They have definitely reduced the number of new cheesy B movies for Saturday night. I think they still do several originals for the 31 days of Halloween.

If you enjoyed Lavalantula (and really, who didn't?), make sure you see the sequel 2Lava 2Lantula.

No, that isn't a joke

Love me some SyFy channel.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.