Reload this Page >

Cardinal (Hulu) S: Billy Campbell, Karine Vanasse -- Series Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-31-17, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone else catch the first episode of this 5-part Canadian crime show? I found it superbly produced and thoroughly absorbing, even though the "grizzled, cynical, taciturn cop who is brought out of retirement and unhappily paired with a woman" is an irritatingly dead-tired concept.
I'm looking forward to the second episode. I don't know if this is airing in the States, other than on CTV along the border.
Old 01-31-17, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Cardinal -- S: Billy Campbell, Karine Vanasse -- Series Thread

Saw it and liked it a lot, though my wife gave up after the first commercial break. She found the pacing too slow and the dialogue too halting. It grated on her nerves, so I'm not sure how many were similarly turned off.

I loved the fact that the Northern Ontario backdrop is as much a character as Cardinal or Delorme.

I highly recommend reading the Cardinal books by Giles Blunt. Forty Words for Sorrow is where this mini-series is taken from, so maybe skip that one until the series concludes.
Old 01-31-17, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

No it's not airing here.

I see it does have Billy Campbell (from the Killing and Once & Again) and Karine Vanasse (from Pan Am)

I also see it's actually only 6 episodes. The premise does sound interesting. If it gets picked up by a streaming platform like Netflix, I may check it out during the summer. But, I have no need to seek it out right now. I have more than enough stuff to watch and with more U.S. shows premiering in the next few months.

Here's the synopsis I found on the CTV website:

Adapted from author Giles Blunt’s award-winning “John Cardinal Mysteries” series, “Cardinal” is a six-episode dramatic thriller that follows Detective John Cardinal (Billy Campbell, "The Killing") on a chilling hunt for a brutal killer in a small Northern Ontario town.

Demoted for a hunch about a case that he wouldn’t let go, Cardinal is brought back to the Homicide Unit when the body of missing 13-year-old Katie Pine is discovered, proving his instincts correct. Back on the case, his search for her murderer soon becomes an all-consuming race to stay ahead of a serial killer.

Meanwhile, Cardinal must manage his own precarious family issues and secrets, and keep a watchful eye on his new partner, Detective Lise Delorme (Karine Vanasse, “Revenge”), who he believes may have her own secret agenda.

“Cardinal” is produced by Sienna Films and eOne in association with Bell Media’s CTV, with the financial participation of the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation, the Canada Media Fund and the Cogeco Program Development Fund, and with the assistance of the Ontario Film and Television Tax Credit and the Canadian Film or Video Production Tax Credit. Super Écran has commissioned the series for French-language Canadian broadcast. eOne will distribute the series worldwide.
Old 01-31-17, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Thanks for posting that info, which I neglected to do. Here's a review from the Globe & Mail, which calls it landmark Canadian television.

Originally Posted by Fanboy View Post
Saw it and liked it a lot, though my wife gave up after the first commercial break. She found the pacing too slow and the dialogue too halting. It grated on her nerves, so I'm not sure how many were similarly turned off.

I loved the fact that the Northern Ontario backdrop is as much a character as Cardinal or Delorme.
I agree that the setting (filmed around Sudbury and North Bay, but set in fictional Algonquin Bay) is a character in itself. The bitter cold reaches its icy fingers through the screen. I didn't find it slow at all, however, and I normally don't have much patience for this sort of thing (firstly CTV, which is normally lowest-common-denominator, and secondly, fiction shows). It doesn't have breakneck, actionful pacing, but I found it went from one interesting scene to another with no ennui-inducing filler. I do agree with your wife about the dialogue, if she means that the actors have a tendency to speak under their breath. Especially Campbell, who plays Cardinal. He practically whispers. One almost needs to turn on the closed captioning. Project your voice, man, project! It's all part of his reticent character, sure, but it makes for hard viewing/listening at times.
Question:
Spoiler:
What did he buy from the guy in the pickup? Dope?
Old 02-01-17, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
I didn't find it slow at all, however, and I normally don't have much patience for this sort of thing (firstly CTV, which is normally lowest-common-denominator, and secondly, fiction shows).
I think it was the long tracking shots at the beginning following the snowmobile, then the establishing shots showing the derrick, then into the halting dialogue. She just couldn't take it while I thought it worked to establish a less-breakneck pace to the show since it will be one story told over 6 hours.

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Question:
Spoiler:
What did he buy from the guy in the pickup? Dope?
To be honest, I don't remember exactly what it is but it does
Spoiler:
play into Lise's investigation. I don't remember it being dope.
Old 02-01-17, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Fanboy View Post
I think it was the long tracking shots at the beginning following the snowmobile, then the establishing shots showing the derrick, then into the halting dialogue. She just couldn't take it while I thought it worked to establish a less-breakneck pace to the show since it will be one story told over 6 hours.
Well, I think you and I essentially agree. It was crisply edited. The opening tracking shot set the tone of isolation and chill. Someone on IMDb called it something of an imitation of Scandinavian detective thrillers, and I think that's not too far off the mark.
To be honest, I don't remember exactly what it is but it does
Spoiler:
play into Lise's investigation. I don't remember it being dope.
Spoiler:
We were never shown what it was, other than a package in exchange for what looked like money. Presumably it will be explained later. (I haven't yet seen tonight's episode.)
Old 05-10-17, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

http://deadline.com/2017/05/hulu-eon...ar-1202088397/

FYI, this will be available to stream on Hulu starting on June 16th.

It's part of a new streaming content deal that Hulu signed with Entertainment One, the company that makes this show.
Old 06-16-17, 07:57 AM

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts
re: Cardinal (Hulu) S: Billy Campbell, Karine Vanasse -- Series Thread

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/L5N7y4iCZ6E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now on Hulu. Already renewed for Season 2 and 3.
Old 06-24-17, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for that info, dex14, but I don't know where they plan to go with the concept. It was good as a one-off miniseries; I don't know how well it will work as a regular series.
Old 02-16-18, 08:12 AM

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Season 2 should be up on Hulu now.