Supergirl (S2E10) -- "We Can Be Heroes" -- 1/30/17

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-17, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Supergirl (S2E10) -- "We Can Be Heroes" -- 1/30/17

MONDAY, JANUARY 30

SUPERGIRL

"We Can Be Heroes" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, LV) (HDTV)

LIVEWIRE IS SET LOOSE UPON NATIONAL CITY - After Livewire (guest star Brit Morgan) seemingly breaks out of prison, Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) is intent on recapturing her. After training Mon-El (Chris Wood), Supergirl takes him with her when she sees Livewire attack the NCPD but things go awry when Mon-El puts Supergirl before the citizens of National City. Meanwhile, James (Mehcad Brooks) decides to come clean with Kara and M'Gann (guest star Sharon Leal), has a psychic attack and collapses into a coma. Rebecca Johnson directed the episode written by Caitlin Parrish & Katie Rose Rogers (#210). Original airdate 1/30/2017.

Episode 10 of 22
Old 01-31-17, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Supergirl (S2E10) -- "We Can Be Heroes" -- 1/30/17

With all the talk about how bad the last episode was, I thought this one was worse. Seemed to exist only to have Kara discover the truth behind Guardian (very poorly played out) and that White Martians are coming.
Old 01-31-17, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ugh were only on episode ten of this? Thought this was an alright episode. I actually like Livewire so I had no issues with her in this episode. MON-El and Kara's relationship continues to be the highpoint of this season. Nice to see ME finally getting more super powers as well. The stuff with Jonn and M'gann wasn't bad. Alex works so much better as a supporting character who doesn't have a plotline every episode about relationship drama.

And then we have The Guardian. Son of a bitch everything about that reveal scene was painful. From Kara acting out of character so we could get the "you cant be a superhero speech, to James using the excuse of not wanting to be in Supermans shadow and complaining about ME being a wannabe hero even though he is doing the same thing. It also doesn't make much sense that being around Superman made him want to dress up as a street level vigilante and beat up drug dealers. Wally wanting speed makes sense, James' motivation does not. It's just painful.

Personally I wish we had a Superman series and they would just make Kara a part of Legends. I think she would fit in on that series well. I'm giving this one more episode and then I'm going to drop it till season three. Between the James storyline and the lesbian storyline it just drags the show to a halt and I feel like the show is a chore to get through.
Old 01-31-17, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I liked the episode. The only dumb thing I didn't like was Kara telling James he couldn't be a hero because he doesn't have powers. The DEO is full of people without powers including her sister. She didn't tell any of them they can't go out to fight aliens.
Old 01-31-17, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

American Ninja Warrior fans should note that standout contestant Jessie Graff got a credited role as the other "Live Wire". She's previously worked as a stuntwoman on the show (and many others).
Old 01-31-17, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
I liked the episode. The only dumb thing I didn't like was Kara telling James he couldn't be a hero because he doesn't have powers. The DEO is full of people without powers including her sister. She didn't tell any of them they can't go out to fight aliens.
Especially one episode after Kara under a red sun makes it a point that powers do not make one a hero.
Old 01-31-17, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Another Superman alumnus will be joining the show:

Putting this in spoilers for those who prefer not to know casting news:

Spoiler:
http://deadline.com/2017/01/supergir...ng-1201898430/

Teri Hatcher, who starred as Lois Lane in ABC’s Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, is returning to the DC Comics universe, joining the Season 2 cast of the CW’s Supergirl in a recurring role.

Details of her character aren’t known, but it’s described by the CW as “a mysterious new role that will become the new Big Bad of Season 2.”

Executive Producer Andrew Kreisberg said of Hatcher’s casting, “No offense to any of the wonderful actresses who have also played the part, but Teri Hatcher is my all time favorite Lois Lane. To have her come back to the SuperWorld in a completely different part is an unbelievable gift to me, Greg, and the fans.”

The Desperate Housewives alumna most recently appeared opposite Matthew Perry & Thomas Lennon in a recurring role on CBS’ comedy series The Odd Couple.

The CW series starring Melissa Benoist as Supergirl was recently renewed for a third season.
Old 01-31-17, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk God

I didn't mind this episode. Thought it was more entertaining than last week.

I actually think a white martian invasion or attack might be a pretty fun story. It will give J'onn and M'gann a meaty storyline.

The only issue I have with Mon-El is how he's become adjusted so fast with earth culture/habits/mannerisms. It just seems kind of fast considering how raw he was coming into this world. Kara came to earth as a young child and had many years to get comfortable with earth culture.

I have enjoyed his scenes with Kara. Does seem like they are gearing him up as a love interest for her.

Live Wire was fun to have back again. And they left things open for her to come back. One of my colleagues is actually neighbors with Brit Morgan.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-31-17 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-31-17, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
The only dumb thing I didn't like was Kara telling James he couldn't be a hero because he doesn't have powers. The DEO is full of people without powers including her sister. She didn't tell any of them they can't go out to fight aliens.
Originally Posted by dfmaverick2
Especially one episode after Kara under a red sun makes it a point that powers do not make one a hero.
This exactly.
Old 01-31-17, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Livewire is the kind of villain that Supergirl needs around more. It's mostly a physical battle and her VFX powers look fine on television. The final battle did get confusing with her clone running around at the same time.

I don't mind Guardian being around as some kind of B hero for National City but the Superman books always had Guardian dealing with more street-level crime. Kara's insistence that Jimmy can't play Guardian is strange but I'm sure it will get worked out.

If the Supergirl writers happen to read this thread, look into using Intergang as villains. They are perfect stock villains that can pop up when needed for an episodic villain-of-the-week series like Supergirl.
Old 01-31-17, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Kara could basically say that to anyone with a dangerous job. People have dangerous work at times.
Old 01-31-17, 09:31 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

This was a better episode. The chemistry between Kara and Mon-El is really good. I really liked the John and M'Gann scene. I did feel the emotion. The rest was superflorious nonsense. Jimmy as Guardian is just so silly.
Old 02-01-17, 04:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe I missed it, but did a Bowie song play during this episode? That's what the title made me think of.
Old 02-01-17, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No Bowie. Just a bunch of lame going on about it taking powers to be a hero.
Old 02-03-17, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I really liked the John and M'Gann scene. I did feel the emotion. The rest was superflorious nonsense.
That might be my new favorite scene from the entire series. That was powerful and done really well. It made everything else seem pretty simple by comparison.

As mentioned Kara telling James he can't be a hero and episode right after preaching about anyone being a hero was a big moment. Her character is usually perfect, but that was a huge "whoa, she's a bitch" moment.

I really want to hate Mon-El. I don't know why, but he seems like a huge douche but the actor is playing him perfectly. Just enough charm, good looks and wit to win over the audience despite being a superflous character.

Lastly, I can't stand Livewire. I can't stand the actress playing her. Every scene is just cringeworthy. She'd be more at home as meteor freak of the week on Smallville. She's ultra cheesy. They need to give Supergirl a different nemesis. Roulette is far more interesting, not to mention portrayed better. Plus she just oozes villain just standing there.
Old 02-11-17, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Finally got to this last night. I realize they have to have other story arcs but it seems like the Guardian and lesbian stories just slow the episode down. If Guardian were there taking care of the street crime stuff as mentioned that makes more sense. I can see him jumping in to help when Kara or Mon-El get stuck somewhere. The lesbian storyline is a wart on the princesses nose. A bet? If I win you come to my place, if you win I go to yours? I think it would be more compelling if she had been a lesbian from the start and the character was an old flame and broken heart.
Old 02-11-17, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

My guess as to Alex's sudden change in orientation? Berlanti and crew had originally pitched Alex as a lesbian and CBS nixed that idea. Once Supergirl moved over to the CW, making her a lesbian was no longer a problem.