Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Bates Motel --> Final Season Discussion Thread --> 2.20.17

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-17, 11:33 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts
Bates Motel --> Final Season Discussion Thread --> 2.20.17

With the fifth and final season of Bates Motel just around the corner, IGN has debuted four creepy posters featuring Norman Bates and his mother, who (spoilers) he killed towards the end of the show’s previous season. Freddie Highmore’s Norman is detached from reality alongside Vera Farmiga’s Norma, whose face is void of expression, on the one-sheets, which tease yet another chilling season of the hit series. See them here…

This contemporary prequel to the genre-defining film Psycho has provided fans with an intimate look into the unraveling of Norman Bates’ psyche throughout his teenage years. Fans watched as Norman’s dangerous transformation came full circle when he methodically murdered his beloved mother, Norma, in the final gut-wrenching episodes of season four. Season five of “Bates Motel” picks up almost two years later and finds Norman (Freddie Highmore), a grown man now, living a double life. Publicly he’s a happy and well-adjusted member of the White Pine Bay community, but at home Norman struggles; his violent blackouts continue to increase as ‘Mother’ (Vera Farmiga) threatens to take over his mind completely. Meanwhile, Dylan Massett (Max Thierot) and Emma Decody (Olivia Cooke), since leaving White Pine Bay, have been living their lives blissfully unaware of Norma’s death and Norman’s full on descent into psychosis. Unfortunately, for them, they will soon find themselves drawn back into Norman’s insanity, while a vengeful Alex Romero (Nestor Carbonell), who is currently incarcerated for a perjury, hungers for a chance to destroy his stepson and avenge the murder of his one true love, Norma Bates.

Max Thieriot, Olivia Cooke, Nestor Carbonell, Kenny Johnson and Ryan Hurst will all be reprising their roles for the new season, which takes place two years after the events of the previous one, while new cast members Rihanna (Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets) and Austin Nichols (The Walking Dead) are set to play characters originally from 1960’s Psycho, Marion Crane and Sam Loomis, respectively. Bates Motel will return to A&E on February 20th.

Old 01-23-17, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts
Re: Bates Motel --> Final Season Discussion Thread --> 2.20.17

I'm so looking forward to this, I'm glad the creators stuck to a 5 season plan instead of dragging it out as long as they could.
Old 01-23-17, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

After a so-so at best start of the first season and some clunky sub plots the first few years, they have turned this into a really solid and sometimes spectacular series. 5 seasons seems right and the pacing of the last 2 seasons have been really good. Looking forward to season 5
Old 01-23-17, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman
I'm so looking forward to this, I'm glad the creators stuck to a 5 season plan instead of dragging it out as long as they could.
I love this trend of actually giving viewers closure instead milking 23 watered-downed episode seasons until we no longer cared of outcome (e.g. Lost).
Old 01-23-17, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Can't wait. This is a rare show that has gotten better over the course of its run and not worse. It's definitely time to end this but after the quality of seasons 3 & 4 I can't wait to see this one. Also, there is enough interest in this show to do a thread per episode...I think.
Old 01-23-17, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Can't wait. This is a rare show that has gotten better over the course of its run and not worse. It's definitely time to end this but after the quality of seasons 3 & 4 I can't wait to see this one. Also, there is enough interest in this show to do a thread per episode...I think.
Yeah a season thread?

Me and dex14 have been doing episode threads for the past 4 years and people here have been watching and commenting. I know not every show is popular enough to warrant weekly discussion, but Bates has been relatively popular here.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-23-17 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-23-17, 03:14 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Continue to do weekly threads.
Old 01-23-17, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 722 Likes on 589 Posts

It is starting early this year in February. One of the reasons to look forward to Spring.

Not sure about casting Rihanna but if it brings more viewers maybe they can do more seasons?

I don't want to see it end.
Old 02-18-17, 12:29 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

so i was watching A&E for like a few minutes for some unknown reason, never watch it. saw a really good commercial for this final season and then i saw Rihanna and it took me right out. Rihanna really? stunt casting in the final season, why start now? anyway, despite her presence which just seemed out of place, can't wait for this...
Old 02-19-17, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 722 Likes on 589 Posts

Just hope this means we will see less of his brother Dylan and the drug dealers
Old 02-25-17, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

So, since we're almost a week after the airing of the season premiere, and there's been no conversation on it, I guess we can put to bed the idea of having weekly threads...
Old 02-25-17, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
So, since we're almost a week after the airing of the season premiere, and there's been no conversation on it, I guess we can put to bed the idea of having weekly threads...
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/639...2-20-17-a.html

Season Premiere thread is here. There's been a few comments, but I guess most here are behind or haven't watched.
Old 02-25-17, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

I looked twice and swear I did not see that.