TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Beyond (Freeform) -- Series Thread -- Premieres 1/2/17

Old 01-01-17, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 370 Likes on 277 Posts
Beyond (Freeform) -- Series Thread -- Premieres 1/2/17

Beyond
uploading pictures

HOLDEN WAKES UP FROM A 12-YEAR COMA AND STEPS INTO A NEW WORLD IN THE TWO-HOUR SERIES PREMIERE OF 'BEYOND' ON MONDAY, JANUARY 2, ON FREEFORM

In a Network First, All Ten Episodes of 'Beyond' Will Be Available Via Digital Platforms, Including the Freeform App, Freeform.com, On Demand and Hulu Simultaneous with the Two-Hour Television Premiere Event on Monday, January 2

Holden Matthews wakes up from a 12-year coma to discover he's now part of something he doesn't understand, on the two-hour series premiere of "Beyond," MONDAY, JANURY 2, 2017 (9:00-11:00 p.m. EST). Additionally, on January 2, the entire first season of "Beyond" will be available on multiple digital platforms, including the Freeform app, Freeform.com, On Demand and Hulu.

In the first hour, "Pilot," Holden Matthews miraculously wakes up from a devastating coma to the wonderment of his parents Tom and Diane and younger brother Luke. But the world has changed since Holden went to sleep, and he now has to navigate being an adult when all he remembers is being a child. At the same time, Holden is experiencing abilities and memories he can't explain, and a mysterious woman named Willa warns him not to trust those around him. When a sinister stranger attacks Holden and claims he knows about his new powers, Holden is faced with uncovering just what happened to him while he was in a coma.

In the second hour, "Tempus Fugit," Holden attempts to forget about his recent bizarre encounters and lead a "normal" life. Luke tries to help Holden acclimate to his new surroundings and brings him along to a college party. Holden hits it off with a friendly co-ed, but strange memories of Willa lead to disastrous consequences. Meanwhile, Diane and Tom try to bond with Holden as an adult.

"Beyond" is a one-hour drama about Holden, a young man who wakes up from a coma after 12 years and discovers new abilities that propel him into the middle of a dangerous conspiracy. Now Holden must try and figure out what happened to him during those 12 years; how to survive a world that changed while he was gone; and answer the question, why did this happen to him?

"Beyond" stars Burkely Duffield ("House of Anubis") as Holden Matthews, Romy Rosemont ("Glee") as Diane Matthews, Michael McGrady ("American Crime Story: The People vs. O.J. Simpson") as Tom Matthews, Jonathan Whitesell ("Once Upon a Time") as Luke Matthews, Dilan Gwyn ("Da Vinci's Demons") as Willa and Jeff Pierre ("Shameless") as Jeff McArdle.

From Imperative Entertainment and Automatik, "Beyond" is created, written and executive produced by Adam Nussdorf ("Once Upon a Time in Wonderland"). Tim Kring ("Heroes"), David Eick ("Battlestar Galactica"), Steven Adelson, Dan Friedkin, Justin Levy and Brian Kavanaugh-Jones serve as executive producers.

10 episode 1st season

2 hour premiere on Monday. However, Freeform is airing episode 1 tonight (Sunday) at 9pm ET as a special preview.

If you are interested in binge watching this show than waiting week to week, Freeform will make all 10 episodes available starting on Monday on the Freeform streaming channel/app and Hulu.
Old 01-01-17, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Beyond (Freeform) -- Series Thread -- Premieres 1/2/17

I've heard good things about this. Will check out the pilot and report back.
Old 01-01-17, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All the episodes are also on Comcast On Demand. I really liked the first episode. The next two were average. I'm on the fence about finishing it.
Old 01-01-17, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

1st episode was pretty good.

Good special FX and I thought it had an intriguing set up. The actor who plays Holden was decent, but he didn't really sell me that he was a 12-13 year old in a 24 year old's body.

Very interesting strategy by Freeform to post the entire season via all the platforms. Obviously the 20-somethings is their target audience, so I guess they want to see how they consume this show.

I may watch a few episodes at a time on Hulu than go week to week.
Old 01-02-17, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

All up on Dtv demand too. GUess I dont have to record it.
Old 01-03-17, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Decent pilot, and I'm a sucker for shows like this so I'm in.
Old 01-03-17, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Kyle XY 2.0 or is it Jake 3.0
Old 01-03-17, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

2nd episode was decent. Not as compelling as the 1st, but still very watchable.

I don't know if it's just me, but the actor who is playing Holden is behaving way too adult for someone who is supposed to be a kid in a man's body. When he went to that party with his brother, I think he settled, drank some beer and starting getting comfy with the cute girl way too easily. I was hoping for a little more awkwardness,

I am curious about this missing 12 years that he supposedly lived which I guess is part of why he has these powers.
Old 01-08-17, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've finished 4 episodes.

I think they explain in episode 3 the difference between 12 year old boy vs 25 year old. They probably could have done more with that early on to clear things up.

Episode 3 was a bit of a tick down for me from the first two, but 4 was really interesting and riveting. This show is doing a good job about misdirection and keeping motives hidden.
Old 01-10-17, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Renewed for a 2nd season: http://deadline.com/2017/01/freeform...ca-1201882540/

Has anyone binged the entire 10 episode season yet?
Old 01-12-17, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I DVR'd the first two episodes and watched them today. I like so far. I might binge the other episodes this weekend.
Old 01-12-17, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Through episode 6. I like the new female cast addition they've introduced. I hope she works out as I think she has the best chemistry with Holden.

Also getting some more backstory on the factions, although don't entirely know their motivations yet.
Spoiler:
I believe the dead lady, while the one partners husband, was the others daughter. Maybe they said she was his daughter and I just missed it.

If her mind was trapped in the Realm it would make sense to me why both of the, were so fixated on it after her death, but so far it was not implied that is what happened.
Old 01-14-17, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finished all 10 episodes. The series starts a bit slow, but it builds the mystery and actually gets into some interesting concepts. Good sci-fi indeed! The writers definitely had a vision, were able to plot out the story over these 10 episodes, while also leaving the door open for more stories.

If you were in doubt, I'd suggest sticking through with the 10 episodes. A few non-spoiler thoughts and observations:

- I'm not a fan of the Willa character, and am definitely not a fan of her and Holden.
- Not sure the time spent on the college portions was well spent.
- I really like how Jeff ended up being an integral part to Holden, especially since their altercation started all of this.
- I wonder what the significance of the forrest is.
- Casting of the family members was great.
- Show did a great job of making the show feel natural and lived in. I felt like this was a family ina small town.

Some spoiler based observations/thoughts below:
Spoiler:

- very interesting ending - looks like Holden's decision has caused damage to he Realm that is going to spill over into the real world.
- Sooo glad Charlie isn't dead, although I fear she's going to do something to Aurther to make Holden and her have issues. Not that I really care what happens to Aurthur, but I really like Holden and Charlie together!
- They've really set things up for more villains. Frost could wake up evil. The financiers of Hollow Sky could know a lot more and have more a stake.
- The fight at the lodge was really well done, especially paired with the music. Very memorable scene even if it was reminiscent of the Matrix.
- Yellow Jacket definitely has a HRG vibe, although he seems worse. Then again his backstory hasn't been fleshed out. Seems like there may be more to him.

I'll definitely be back for season 2.
Old 04-03-17, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Finished the season today on Hulu. I had around 4-5 episodes to watch and powered through all of them because the season expires after today. It will probably still be available on the Freeform app.

I enjoyed it. I think the season picked up when we learned more about this "other world" that Holden was transported to and the mystery surrounding it. Had some elements of Firestarter and some elements of Heroes.

A lot of green screen was used in the last few episodes, but for a relatively low budget cable show, it never looked cheap.

Being that it's only a 10 episode season, I think it stayed focused on the science fiction/mystery elements and didn't get bogged down by too much relationship drama. Although, the main character Holden did get his fair share of the ladies. I think he went through 3 different girls in the 1st season

It did end on a cliffhanger, so I'm glad it's returning for another season.
Old 04-04-17, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

I did catch the entire season with some judicious skipping through the less important characters. The sci-fi elements aren't bad, it wasn't mindlessly cobbled together. The cast is okay, everyone smoothly fits into their roles.

All that being said, Beyond isn't going to light the world on fire. It's watchable but not essential. I will give the first couple of episodes for season two a shot but it won't get much rope from me.
Old 01-18-18, 06:43 AM

Received 357 Likes on 251 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xwVxQw27DVU" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"Beyond" Season 2 - Thursdays through Mar. 22, 2018

Jan. 18 (8:00 - 9:01 P.M. EST) - Episode 2001 - "Two Zero One"

With his mission in the Realm seemingly behind him, Holden throws himself into his new "normal" life, working a regular job and furthering his relationship with Willa, but he can't shake the feeling that something is coming. Meanwhile, Diane is asked to make a huge sacrifice to further the investigation into Hollow Sky, one that doesn't sit well with Tom, and Charlie reappears hiding a secret, and acting on orders from Yellow Jacket.
Jan. 18 (9:01 - 10:02 P.M. EST) - Episode 2002 "Cheers, Bitch"

Willa shows up unexpectedly at the Matthews house for an uncomfortable "meet the family" dinner. Willa struggles with trying to convince Arthur to let go of the Realm, while she and Holden try to navigate their relationship. Meanwhile, Charlie learns some surprising secrets during an unauthorized house call -at Yellow Jacket's request.
Old 01-19-18, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Beyond continued its passable, middle-of-the-road approach to entertainment. It seemed like the budget got cut for season two, as these first two episodes didn't really have the same pizazz of season one.
Old 01-20-18, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I forgot this was coming back in January. Iíll have to try and watch this weekend!
Old 02-12-18, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Iím not fully caught up; only 3 episodes in so far.

Episode 3 definitely has some developments and twists. Iím surprised that wasnít in the first episode, but guess the writers wanted to show Holden getting readjust (some more) after the end of last season.

I donít think the budget was cut. The effects seem better quality, but less frequent.
Old 02-12-18, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
I’m not fully caught up; only 3 episodes in so far.

Episode 3 definitely has some developments and twists. I’m surprised that wasn’t in the first episode, but guess the writers wanted to show Holden getting readjust (some more) after the end of last season.

I don’t think the budget was cut. The effects seem better quality, but less frequent.
We've seen far less of the Realm in this season.
Old 03-29-18, 09:38 PM

Received 357 Likes on 251 Posts

This was canceled.
Old 03-30-18, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
This was canceled.
Well that sucks. There were some decent sized cliffhangers to the second season. Iím sure ratings were down, it I canít belive Freeform is the hub of high viewership.

It would be great if they could film a small 20 minute epilogue to wrap things up.
Old 03-30-18, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not surprising. I mildly enjoyed season one but they made some drastic creative choices in season two that had me give up on the season halfway through it.

The Holden love triangle was poorly handled.
Old 03-31-18, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Not surprising. I mildly enjoyed season one but they made some drastic creative choices in season two that had me give up on the season halfway through it.

The Holden love triangle was poorly handled.
Care to elaborate? I thought the relationship stuff was less dramatic than I was anticipating it could have been.
Old 04-02-18, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
Care to elaborate? I thought the relationship stuff was less dramatic than I was anticipating it could have been.
It looked like they were setting up Holden's girlfriend Willa from the Realm to fall in love with his brother, while Holden drew closer and closer to Charlie.

The producers wrote themselves into a corner with Willa and Holden during season one. They clearly wanted to move in a different direction with season two.