TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Snowpiercer (Now on AMC) -- S: Jennifer Connelly, Daveed Diggs

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-21, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 814 Likes on 688 Posts
re: Snowpiercer (Now on AMC) -- S: Jennifer Connelly, Daveed Diggs

Originally Posted by RichC2
I'm actually surprised by the blind faith they keep throwing behind this one. It doesn't seem super cheap to produce.
A network like TNT doesn't normally get a proven movie star like Jennifer Connelly everyday. This is the network's one "prestige" project designed to be the network's calling card for a couple years.

Once you've sunk this much money into it, there is no way off the train.
Old 01-25-21, 01:06 PM

Received 4,588 Likes on 3,106 Posts

Season 2 starts tonight.
The following users liked this post:
chowderhead (02-24-21)
Old 03-21-21, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

It's certainly been an odd creative decision to sideline the show's best character for half the episodes.
Old 04-09-21, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,264 Likes on 842 Posts

I was meh on S1 but S2 is better, much to do with Sean Bean. However this show's biggest issue is still Daveed Diggs, monotone, bland, and boring.

And:

Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure Melanie's not dead. If you haven't seen the body...

Old 04-09-21, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,947 Likes on 1,507 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
It's certainly been an odd creative decision to sideline the show's best character for half the episodes.
Yeah, I wonder if that was some weird cost cutting measure, like we need money to pay Sean Bean so we need to sideline Connelly (also we don't have enough money to pay the kid who was like a main character in the first season for more than a couple of scenes).
Old 04-10-21, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yeah, I wonder if that was some weird cost cutting measure, like we need money to pay Sean Bean so we need to sideline Connelly (also we don't have enough money to pay the kid who was like a main character in the first season for more than a couple of scenes).
TVLine spoke with executive producer Becky Clements of Tomorrow Studios about Melanie’s fate.

TVLINE | Talk about the plan to stretch out Melanie’s fate for the second half of the season. Was that about you losing Jennifer Connelly at a certain point, but you wanted to keep the character “around” a bit longer?
Basically, yes. Jennifer has been such a great partner in this and also has a very busy professional life…. [Showrunner] Graeme [Manson] knew very early on, so he and the writing team came up with this really great idea of the research station and then the “time collision” that took us to the end of the season. Having the ticking clock of “We need to make sure we have some place to be at a certain time!” is always valuable, and with a very limiting Wilford always wondering what is happening. When that creative decision came up early in the season break, it was exciting to hear. It’s always fun to have a strong emotional reaction to a creative pitch.

TVLINE | It also planted a mystery for a couple of episodes. “We saw what Melanie saw, but what will lead to that shocking moment?”
Exactly. We always talk about the show as multiple genres mashed up into one. There is character drama, of course, but it’s also a genre show, and it’s also action-adventure. We’re always trying to give the audience a little taste of all three in every episode.

TVLINE | It took Snowpiercer 30 days to circle back for Melanie. In your mind, how long did it take Layton’s “10-car pirate train” to make it back to the research station? How much longer did Melanie have to last? Was it one week, was it three…?
It wasn’t three weeks. I want to say we landed somewhere around five or six days, though I don’t remember ultimately what it was.

TVLINE | Because I was surprised she went through the rats so quickly. There seemed to be a good-sized nest of them by the thermal vent.
Ultimately, they weren’t fat. [[i]Laughs] There’s not a lot of meat on a rat like that.

TVLINE | You did kind of leave the door open. I mean, Melanie wasn’t found dead. She could have been discovered and rescued by some group of nomads we didn’t know existed….
She could; that might be “jumping the shark” a bit based on everything we expressed thus far, but….

TVLINE | She is done for, we shouldn’t be speculating?
I don’t know if I’m going on record that she is “done for,” but I don’t know that she is alive.

TVLINE | Have viewers seen the last of Jennifer Connelly?
We are pleased that Jennifer will join us for Season 3.
Old 04-10-21, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was just a weird thing to do. One would assume if you hired the actress to play the character you would make sure you have access to the actress for the time you need her. Melanie was such an interesting/complex character I'm not sure how you don't use that character for half of season two.
Old 07-29-21, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

Season 3 is a wrap, renewed for Season 4: https://deadline.com/2021/07/snowpie...on-1234802083/
Old 07-29-21, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,518 Posts

Good news, looking forward to watching more of this show.
Old 12-07-21, 04:07 PM

Old 01-24-22, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Haven't watched it yet, but the show was back tonight. Wonder when/how they will reintroduce Melanie. Hopefully it won't be as a ghost.
Boondock Saint (01-24-22)
Old 03-28-22, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,650 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Wow, this is really a show that nobody watches in this forum.

Season 3 is wrapping up tonight.

They also just announced that Clark Gregg is joining the cast for season 4 and one of the producers of Agents of Shield will be the new showrunner.

Old 03-28-22, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I felt like they were just spinning their wheels last season and this one was more of the same. Hopefully the new showrunners can come up with something other than Layton v. Wilford, round 4.
Old 03-29-22, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mugwump
I felt like they were just spinning their wheels last season and this one was more of the same. Hopefully the new showrunners can come up with something other than Layton v. Wilford, round 4.
I agree. This show has become one of those that I just have on in the background while doing other things. I'm honestly surprised that it's made it this long without being cancelled. I'm hoping season 4 is the last and there's closure.
Old 05-01-22, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Season 3 is on HBOMax now.
Old 05-01-22, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk God

It would not surprise me if season 4 becomes an HBO Max original since TNT is dumping scripted shows.
Old 06-17-22, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Season 4, which is still in production, is still airing on TNT and it will be the final season.

Old 01-13-23, 06:14 PM

EXCLUSIVE: And then there were none. Snowpiercer, the only remaining original scripted series on TNT, is done on the Warner Bros. Discovery network. The post-apocalyptic drama’s completed fourth and final season will not run on the basic cable network as previously announced. The move is believed to be part of the tax write-offs for content at WBD. I hear the studio behind it, Tomorrow Studios, is currently shopping the new season, along with potential prequel and sequel, with the goal to build a franchise.

“We can confirm that TNT will not air season four of Snowpiercer,” a spokesperson for the network said in a statement to Deadline. “This was a difficult decision, but our admiration for the talented writers, actors and crew who brought Snowpiercer’s extraordinary post-apocalyptic world to life remains strong. We have been working collaboratively with the producers since last year to help the series find a new home where fans can continue to enjoy the compelling story and exceptional visual experience. We look forward to working with them on future projects.”

Deadline revealed exclusively in June that Season 4 of Snowpiercer was going to the series’ last, with the cast released to take on other jobs. The decision not to air it was made later in the year, sources said. It was part of the slew of content cuts for tax write-off purposes, including the axing of HBO Max tentpole Batgirl, J.J. Abrams’ HBO drama Demimonde, TBS series such as The Big D, Chad and Kill The Orange Bear as well as a raft of cancelations including Westworld. Chad and The Big D, whose new seasons, like Snowpiercer‘s, had been completed, have since found new homes at Roku and Peacock, respectively.

“We’re done with that chapter,” WBD CFO Gunnar Wiedenfels said last week about the content write-off practice.

The TNets already had been scaling back on original scripted programming. The process was accelerated by the Discovery-WarnerMedia merger.

“We love Snowpiercer and believe season four completes a story with incredible talent that will entertain viewers while exploring issues of climate change and class warfare. We are so passionate about this series that we have acquired the rights to control the franchise,” Tomorrow Studios’ Marty Adelstein, CEO/Partner, and Becky Clements, President/Partner, said in a statement. “We hope to find the perfect partner shortly and finish a great ride with the final season.” –

Based on Bong Joon-ho’s 2013 movie, Snowpiercer premiered as the No. 1 new scripted drama on all of ad-supported cable in 2020. Daveed Diggs, Jennifer Connelly, Iddo Goldberg, Katie McGuinness, Rowan Blanchard and Roberto Urbina star in the series, whose Season 4 features cast additions included Clark Gregg and Michael Aronov.

Snowpiercer Season 4 is executive produced by new showrunner Paul Zbyszewski, Christoph Schrewe, Adelstein and Clements of Tomorrow Studios, Matthew O’Connor, Ben Rosenblatt and Scott Derrickson, and the original film’s producers, Oscar winner Bong, Miky Lee, Jinnie Choi, Park Chan-wook, Lee Tae-hun and Dooho Choi. The show is produced by Tomorrow Studios, along with CJ Entertainment. ITV Studios handles international distribution.
https://deadline.com/2023/01/snowpie...fs-1235221699/
Old 01-13-23, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk God

The final season is permanently dead on TNT. It's filmed, but will not air on the network.

The production company who made it is trying to shop it. As some of you also might know HBOMAX pulled the entire series last year.
Old 01-13-23, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Warner Bros. must really be in a world of hurt. To not even show a final season already shot and ready to go just for a tax write off? The show wasn't great but I stuck through it all and was glad it got a chance to wrap up. Now that's in jeopardy. It seems like the whole industry is imploding.
Old 01-13-23, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,752 Likes on 1,895 Posts

This is fucking insane.

Makes me wonder what else is going to get axed.

Are they going to complete Dune Part 2, then vault it for a write-off?

Old 01-17-23, 06:20 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
This is fucking insane.

If WB did that, I'd imagine their relationship with Lgeendary would be decimated.
Old 01-17-23, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Selling Snowpiercer's final season will probably be tough. Because whoever they reach out to will have to buy the 1st 3 seasons as well.
Old 01-17-23, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 814 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Barth
Warner Bros. must really be in a world of hurt. To not even show a final season already shot and ready to go just for a tax write off? The show wasn't great but I stuck through it all and was glad it got a chance to wrap up. Now that's in jeopardy. It seems like the whole industry is imploding.
It's not an ordinary write-off - it's a special one-time Tax write-off you can only do within a certain timeframe of two large corporations merging. Instead of making back maybe 20 cents on the dollar by keeping the season, you can make back almost your entire dollar by axing it.

It's a clever loophole in the tax code for big corporations which only works in this situation because Warner Discovery is swimming in debt.
Old 01-18-23, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 453 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

The only good thing in that Deadline article above is this quote:

“We’re done with that chapter,” WBD CFO Gunnar Wiedenfels said last week about the content write-off practice.
So, hopefully this Snowpiercer write off is the last thing we have to endure.
John Pannozzi (01-25-23)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.