TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Marvel’s Inhumans Set At ABC For Fall 2017

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-16, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Marvel’s The Inhumans Set At ABC For Fall 2017

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
As a huge Marvel fanboy who will watch everything Marvel, i still don't want to see over saturation

Separate to the Netflix series, which are doing well, for broadcast TV, rather than AoS and the inhumans, i would like to see a generic "the Marvel show" and allow for any other character in the Marvel universe not licensed to others to appear.

Have a few inhuman episodes, cool

Have an episode about the Wrecking Crew, cool

Have an episode about the unlimited class wrestling league and Demolition Dunphy, cool

Have an episode set in the microverse, cool

Have special "what if' episodes, cool

Have special "Marvel Team up' episodes, cool

Have some episodes about the Secret War and the Beyonder, cool

I like your thinking, but the budget for some of those would have to be huge. And doing a few episodes for say Secret Wars and the characters it would need means it would be very hard to do.

I would rather Marvel actually start looking at doing solid CGI animated movies for some of the larger stories. The budget restraints of something like the Inifinity Gauntlet saga for the Avengers movies has always given me some concern. I am sure the movie will end up being fantastic, but i always wanted to see the actual comic in movie form. Animation is the only way for this. After recently seeing the Kingsglave movie i was blown away with the effects and action in that movie and to do something of that quality with say Secret Wars, a full on Infinity Gauntlet saga or even something like Secret Invasion would be awesome.
Old 11-16-16, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
re: Marvel’s Inhumans Set At ABC For Fall 2017

My interest in the ABC projects is almost down to 0%. Stick to netflix for the more adult fair and keep the movies coming.
Old 11-16-16, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a

I would rather Marvel actually start looking at doing solid CGI animated movies for some of the larger stories. The budget restraints of something like the Inifinity Gauntlet saga for the Avengers movies has always given me some concern. I am sure the movie will end up being fantastic, but i always wanted to see the actual comic in movie form. Animation is the only way for this. After recently seeing the Kingsglave movie i was blown away with the effects and action in that movie and to do something of that quality with say Secret Wars, a full on Infinity Gauntlet saga or even something like Secret Invasion would be awesome.
One of my great (Film) disappointments is that during the "Screen Animation Renaissance" ten-fifteen years ago anything serious or Action-Adventure oriented bombed and we've been stuck with only Family Comedies. There are so many places and stories in Comics that would be perfect for Animation but its considered too much of a financial risk.
Old 11-16-16, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Are you talking about stuff like Simpsons or Rick and Morty which cater to adults?

I'd say the super hero genre is well covered in cartoons right now, even if they are directed mainly towards kids. Ever since Timm and Dini and co. gave us BTAS there have consistently been good, continuity-laden cartoons from both Marvel and DC. Heck we're getting Young Justice back and a new Timm Justice League, and Disney has a whole slew of Marvel cartoons (because they have their own channel) loosely based on the cinematic look of the characters but greatly expanding the scope.

Edited to add: oh I see you mean film. The MCU, Star Wars, DC, Transformers, etc. franchises are all partially animated films already. I don't see that reversing though I would love a completely animated Transformers film kept far away from Bay designs.
Old 11-16-16, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
One of my great (Film) disappointments is that during the "Screen Animation Renaissance" ten-fifteen years ago anything serious or Action-Adventure oriented bombed and we've been stuck with only Family Comedies. There are so many places and stories in Comics that would be perfect for Animation but its considered too much of a financial risk.
Originally Posted by fujishig
Are you talking about stuff like Simpsons or Rick and Morty which cater to adults?
I think he's talking about the animated moves around 1999-2001 like Titan AE, Atlantis, Treasure Planet, Road to El Dorado, Iron Giant, etc. that were made by various studios trying to capture Disney money with their own animated movies, while Disney itself tried to pivot away from the fairy-tale musicals it had been focused on up to that point.

Most of those movies tanked, while at the same time Pixar and PDI were releasing family-friendly CGI comedies, which is where the new focus went.
Old 11-16-16, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, As bad ass as Blackbolt is, I honestly can't see anyone really giving a shit about him and the inhumans. How they keep trying to make them a thing is just stupid. Yeah, I get it, you can't market mutants cause of legal rights for films, but fuck man, Inhumans are boring as fuck.
Old 11-16-16, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

What Marvel is lacking these days are animated films and shows aimed at adult fans. DC is killing it compared to Marvel in the animated programs.

You can pull off major stories in animation that you can't afford in live action. The Beyonder is a perfect character for animation.
Old 11-16-16, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

As someone that loved Titan A.E., that makes me sad I'd love to see more adult themed Marvel animated movies or series too.
Old 11-16-16, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I think he's talking about the animated moves around 1999-2001 like Titan AE, Atlantis, Treasure Planet, Road to El Dorado, Iron Giant, etc. that were made by various studios trying to capture Disney money with their own animated movies, while Disney itself tried to pivot away from the fairy-tale musicals it had been focused on up to that point.

Most of those movies tanked, while at the same time Pixar and PDI were releasing family-friendly CGI comedies, which is where the new focus went.
Isn't that what movies like Avatar, Transformers, TMNT, Pacific Rim etc are? I realize most of those have live action but they're basically animated set pieces.

But it's also why I doubt Marvel/Disney care about cartoons for adults. They have cartoons for kids that include nods to continuity that only adults care about, and they have Star Wars and the MCU (and in some respects, Netflix) for the older kids and adults.

As a kid I liked Black Bolt and the Inhuman royal family because they showed up sparingly and Black Bolt was like a deus ex machine whenever he really wanted to be. I don't get them as a focus or as an XMen replacement because even though they aren't really aliens, they might as well be, so unless this is a sci fi epic in 8 episodes I doubt people are really going to care about this all that much.
Old 12-06-16, 02:04 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

ABC and Marvel are turning to a familiar face to oversee The Inhumans.

Dexter grad Scott Buck has been tapped to serve as showrunner on ABC's straight-to-series Marvel and Imax drama, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The Inhumans, a race of superhumans with diverse and unique powers, were first introduced in Marvel Comics by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby in 1965. Since then, they have become among the most popular characters in the Marvel Universe. ABC's The Inhumans will explore the never-before-told epic adventure of Black Bolt and the royal family.

Buck will serve as showrunner on the drama series, with the first two episodes set to exclusively unspool in Imax theaters over a two-week period starting Labor Day Weekend 2017 before the drama debuts on ABC in September in a groundbreaking, first-of-its-kind collaboration that helps cut through the crowded fall landscape.

The Inhumans deal extends Marvel's relationship with Buck, who is currently serving as showrunner on the comic book powerhouse's Netflix drama Iron Fist. Iron Fist is Marvel and Netflix's fourth series, with the fifth — mini The Defenders — set to feature stars from the former as well as Daredevil,Jessica Jones and Luke Cage.

Iron Fist marks Buck's first post-Dexter gig. Buck served as showrunner for the final three seasons of Showtime's Michael C. Hall serial killer with a code drama after taking over for Clyde Phillips. Buck's credits include Six Feet Under, Rome and Coach. He's repped by CAA.

Picked up straight to series Nov. 14, The Inhumans is ABC's latest Marvel collaboration. The live-action TV series is not taking the place of the planned feature film and is not a spinoff of ABC's Marvel drama Agents of SHIELD. This becomes ABC's third Marvel series, following SHIELD and the late and great Agent Carter. Inhumans is produced by Marvel, ABC Studios and Imax, with all episodes set to be filmed with Imax cameras.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...ebook_20161206
Old 12-06-16, 09:31 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Wait. So if this is not taking the place of the feature film, are they not going to be using the royal family here? If so it will suck.
Old 12-06-16, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Eric F
Wait. So if this is not taking the place of the feature film, are they not going to be using the royal family here? If so it will suck.
It's using the royal family.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-series-947296
ABC's The Inhumans will explore the never-before-told epic adventure of Black Bolt and the royal family.
Old 12-06-16, 10:08 PM
Banned

So are they going to use the same cast for the TV and the movie?
Old 12-06-16, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

I doubt we get the movie now.
Old 12-06-16, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
I doubt we get the movie now.
Yeah, the movie was taken off the schedule, and considering the show premieres in IMAX theaters, it seems like this is the Inhumans we're getting.
Old 12-06-16, 11:32 PM
Banned

Show shot for TV on an IMAX screen? Well, ok.

I vaguely recall seeing one of the SyFy Battlestar Galactica movies at my local IMAX. It was decent, but you could tell it really wasn't shot for the (really) big screen.
Old 12-07-16, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Show shot for TV on an IMAX screen? Well, ok.

I vaguely recall seeing one of the SyFy Battlestar Galactica movies at my local IMAX. It was decent, but you could tell it really wasn't shot for the (really) big screen.
As the previous articles all note, the show is being shot with IMAX digital cameras, so it should hold up well on an IMAX screen. I imagine it's the same cameras they're using for Avengers: Infinity War.
http://www.imax.com/news/marvels-ave...arri-2d-camera
Old 12-07-16, 09:43 AM
Banned

As the previous articles all note, the show is being shot with IMAX digital cameras, so it should hold up well on an IMAX screen. I imagine it's the same cameras they're using for Avengers: Infinity War.
http://www.imax.com/news/marvels-ave...arri-2d-camera
Maybe I'll go then. Hopefully it will be a free promo for the IMAX premiere like that Battlestar Galactica movie was. I don't see myself paying for this.
Old 12-07-16, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
What Marvel is lacking these days are animated films and shows aimed at adult fans. DC is killing it compared to Marvel in the animated programs.

You can pull off major stories in animation that you can't afford in live action. The Beyonder is a perfect character for animation.
Disney's animated universe requires the product to not only draw viewers but also to sell toys and drive park tickets. That's why they target kids who control their parents wallets.
Old 12-07-16, 11:44 AM
Banned

Avengers Assemble and Guardians aren't too bad. Better than the Spiderman drek they had on at any rate.

It does look like they gave up on the Marvel DTV animated movies tho. Only decent one out of the bunch I can think of was Hulk Vs.
Old 12-07-16, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe I'll go then. Hopefully it will be a free promo for the IMAX premiere like that Battlestar Galactica movie was. I don't see myself paying for this.
It's a two week run in IMAX next September, so it's not a one-off promo.

http://www.imax.com/news/new-york-ti...-imax-theaters
Under the agreement, a version that combines the initial two episodes of “Marvel’s The Inhumans,” shot entirely with IMAX cameras, will play exclusively for two weeks next September on IMAX screens worldwide.

Shortly thereafter, the episodes — edited to include additional scenes — will run on ABC, with new installments unspooling in typical prime-time fashion. (The look of the series on TV will be enhanced due to IMAX technology.)
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/11/...-date-revealed
Forester confirmed the first 80 minutes of ABC's upcoming live-action series will screen in IMAX theaters across the globe on or around September 1 of next year, which will then be followed by a two-week run in theaters.

Shortly thereafter, on September 26, the series will premiere on ABC, with each new installment in the eight-episode series airing on Tuesday nights from that point on.
Old 12-07-16, 05:37 PM
Banned

It's a two week run in IMAX next September, so it's not a one-off promo.

http://www.imax.com/news/new-york-ti...-imax-theaters

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/11/...-date-revealed
Hmm. So 8 episodes, two 4hr showings? I'm too lazy to read articles about this.
Old 12-07-16, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

They're not going to screen the whole series in IMAX. It says in the excerpts above that they're only showing the first 80 minutes.
Old 12-07-16, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Hmm. So 8 episodes, two 4hr showings? I'm too lazy to read articles about this.
2 episodes in theaters for 2 weeks and it will air weekly on ABC.

WTF was so hard about reading that? The info is in the 1st post of this thread.
Old 02-21-17, 01:26 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Game of Thrones alum Iwan Rheon has been cast in a lead role of Maximus in ABC’s Marvel’s Inhumans live-action series.

Marvel’s Inhumans, which has a straight-to-series order for next fall, will explore the never-before-told epic adventure of Black Bolt and the royal family. In the series, Maximus is a clever and charming Inhuman that is fiercely devoted to the people of Attilan, especially his brother, the King – although he harbors an intense desire to wear the crown himself.

“Iwan’s ability to be charming, roguish, and still completely unexpectedly dangerous were all the different sides we needed to bring the character to life. We’re thrilled to have him on board,” said Jeph Loeb, Head of Marvel Television and executive producer of Inhumans.

As previously announced, the first two episodes of the ABC series, on which Scott Buck serves as executive producer and showrunner, will premiere exclusively in Imax theatres for a two-week window in September, prior to the network run.

“Maximus is a complex character, Buck said. “Likable, charming, tragic and villainous all in the same moment, and I’m very excited to have someone of Iwan’s considerable talent.”

Marvel’s Inhumans, which follows a race of superhumans with diverse and singularly unique powers, were first introduced in Marvel Comics by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby in 1965. Since that time, they have grown in prominence and become some of the most popular and iconic characters in the Marvel Universe.

Marvel’s Inhumans is executive produced by Buck, Loeb and Jim Chory . Roel Reine will direct the first two episodes. The series is co-produced by Marvel Television and ABC Studios.

Rheon played Ramsay for four seasons on HBO’s Game of Thrones. His other credits include the role of Ash Weston on Vicious and Simon Bellamy on Misfits. Rheon is repped by UTA, Principal Entertainment LA and Curtis Brown.
http://deadline.com/2017/02/marvels-...es-1201925196/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.