Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Westworld (S1E04) -- "Dissonance Theory" -- 10/23/16

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-16, 08:43 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Westworld (S1E04) -- "Dissonance Theory" -- 10/23/16

Really intriguing, well-written, well-acted show. Expected no less from one of the Nolan Bros and visual style of Scott.

We just binge-watched the first four episodes so avoided discussion here, but wondered if anyone had noticed a possible homage to the original film?

In the original, Yul Brynner as the Man in Black wore an outfit almost identical to his iconic character as the leader ("Chris") in the first two Magnificent Seven movies.

In this, Ed Harris as the Man in Black (although the character is now a human) wears an outfit that is very similar to his Virgil Cole character in the great western "Appaloosa."

Here's Harris in that role:

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/still/appaloosa17.jpg

Of course, it's possibly just a costume decision having nothing to do with Harris since Teddy & most other characters wear similar clothing. In the original film, Brolin & Benjamin wore costumes in 60's tv western style that matched Brynner's attire. It all looked more like play-acting & dress-up...more "Bonanza" than "Deadwood." But Harris may have had something to say about his costume choice.

“Come now, let us reason together, says the Lord: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool." Isaiah 1:18

Last edited by creekdipper; 10-25-16 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-25-16, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 461 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I'm weirdered out by that bullet. Why wouldn't they remove that when they do their daily(?) host clean up thing?
That's one thing that bothers me. Cleaning up after those bloodbaths, have to be a herculean effort - no way they can clean up, patch bullet holes, fix/replace furniture, clean clothes, repair robots, put everything back in place, etc, etc, in, what, 8 hours time? Not possible! I'll believe thinking/feeling robots, but this cleanup shit is just against the laws of physics.
Old 10-25-16, 11:21 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slop101
That's one thing that bothers me. Cleaning up after those bloodbaths, have to be a herculean effort - no way they can clean up, patch bullet holes, fix/replace furniture, clean clothes, repair robots, put everything back in place, etc, etc, in, what, 8 hours time? Not possible! I'll believe thinking/feeling robots, but this cleanup shit is just against the laws of physics.
I detect a lil' note of sarcasm in that there post, slop.

For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil. 2 Corinthians 5:10
Old 10-25-16, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,224 Likes on 941 Posts

I'm calling it now: Anthony Hopkins is an A.I.
Old 10-25-16, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Cool episode, especially watching Ford play God with all those people. I really wonder how he's able to control everyone like that. Not quite feeling the William and Logan stuff since it's playing out fairly straightforward. I did love the "upgrade" line that was mentioned above too.

It was cool seeing the extras that the Man in Black has, like the exploding cigar that he was basically able to just call down too. The video game nods were strong in this episode.

Originally Posted by slop101
It feels to me like the show isn't really consistent with days in this episode - we also saw Hector get killed in an earlier episode and he was right back and ready to go, bu tsome of the flashbacks by Maeve make it seem like more days have passed. Ford seemed to go from having a new idea for a plot to having a ton of construction seemingly already in place?

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Are you just going to call out multiple things to you can pat yourself on the back for the one you actually get right?
Old 10-25-16, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Are you just going to call out multiple things to you can pat yourself on the back for the one you actually get right?
Yup!
Old 10-25-16, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 621 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Not exactly going out on a limb.

So we have an Arnold who was/is probably a real person and in Westworld
there is Wyatt who is an unknown too.

Same?

Some have said that they think Bernard is a robot now because Ford told the woman to take it easy on him.

I agree with Blu about MiB that he could be Billy's friend. (Don't call me Billy)
Old 10-26-16, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,034 Likes on 741 Posts

I have no idea where the show is going but I'm loving it. The whole idea of diving deeper into the "game" to find secrets reminds me a bit of Ready Player One. So many theories; I'm trying not to think about which will end up correct. The ride is enjoyable as-is.
Old 10-26-16, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
It was cool seeing the extras that the Man in Black has, like the exploding cigar that he was basically able to just call down too. The video game nods were strong in this episode.
While it was interesting, it made no damn sense. The Man in Black has the cigars in the stagecoach, and gives one to the guard. The cigars have to be "rigged" at that point. The control room mentions that they have a request for two small level detonations which get cleared. Is the control room then detonating the cigars? Why would they even need to ask since he obviously got the cigars from Westworld itself, otherwise they wouldn't be able to prevent the explosions.

Were we supposed to have figured out who Ford was talking about when he said the board had already sent a representative?
Old 10-26-16, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One detonation was a cigar and the other was the lock on the jail cell.

Probably need to clear it first after checking who it was for and what the size was.
Old 10-26-16, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by whotony

Probably need to clear it first after checking who it was for and what the size was.

Old 10-27-16, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordred
While it was interesting, it made no damn sense. The Man in Black has the cigars in the stagecoach, and gives one to the guard. The cigars have to be "rigged" at that point. The control room mentions that they have a request for two small level detonations which get cleared. Is the control room then detonating the cigars? Why would they even need to ask since he obviously got the cigars from Westworld itself, otherwise they wouldn't be able to prevent the explosions.

Yeah, seemed to make sense to me. They wouldn't want to set it off it was near a human, for instance.
Old 10-27-16, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,034 Likes on 741 Posts

Didn't the lock blow because Harris put his cigar in it? The one that blew up in the guy's face is the one he stole during the coach ride.
Old 10-27-16, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Cool episode, especially watching Ford play God with all those people. I really wonder how he's able to control everyone like that.
Ford seems to have a completely different personality inside his "world". Outside of it hes a meek old man. Seemingly apologizing for just being around. In Westworld hes basically a Super-villain.

Originally Posted by Decker
Oh and I forgot about Maeve's hiding place. Seeing those stack of drawings was pretty awesome. As was digging out the bullet from her abdomen. Looking forward to see where that story goes.
Its interesting that the Hosts remembering the men in clean suits who "service" them every night is part of the story line. The other host who took the bullet out was also aware of their "legend". Plus she saw that doll that looked like them.
Old 10-27-16, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 112 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
Ford seems to have a completely different personality inside his "world". Outside of it hes a meek old man. Seemingly apologizing for just being around. In Westworld hes basically a Super-villain.
I don't think he's a super-villain. He simply has a different perspective on Westworld than the "moneymen" from Delos.

It seems like Ford and Arnold built it as a sort of incubator for the hosts ... to see how they would develop. Updates such as the reveries were intended to make the hosts display more and more human behaviors.

I believe Ford sees Westworld as a large ant farm where he can guide and observe the evolution of his "pets". For him, the goal is not for the guests to live out their fantasies ... but for the hosts to observe/learn behaviors from the guests ... and evolve into something more than just programmed creatures.

For Ford, something like Dolores' aberrant behavior is not a glitch ... but a goal?

Last edited by Kmical; 10-27-16 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-27-16, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,915 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmical
I don't think he's a super-villain. He simply has a different perspective on Westworld than the "moneymen" from Delos.

It seems like Ford and Arnold built it as a sort of incubator for the hosts ... to see how they would develop. Updates such as the reveries were intended to make the hosts display more and more human behaviors.

I believe Ford sees Westworld as a large ant farm where he can guide and observe the evolution of his "pets". For him, the goal is not for the guests to live out their fantasies ... but for the hosts to observe/learn behaviors from the guests ... and evolve into something more than just programmed creatures.

For Ford, something like Dolores' aberrant behavior is not a glitch ... but a goal?

So why do you think Ford was so harsh with the Lab Tech who covered up the Host as he worked on it? Ford seemed to not give a fuck about the Host and made sure the Tech understood that they weren't real and had no feelings.

Yet, he seems to want to push more towards "Being Human". Or does he?
Old 10-27-16, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 112 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
So why do you think Ford was so harsh with the Lab Tech who covered up the Host as he worked on it? Ford seemed to not give a fuck about the Host and made sure the Tech understood that they weren't real and had no feelings.

Yet, he seems to want to push more towards "Being Human". Or does he?
As we're learning from this year's presidential election, it's OK to have both a "public" and "private" position.

Maybe he's playing the "unassuming, doddering old man" around others, but keeping his real goal hidden until he can show what he's finally accomplished?

That, or:
Spoiler:
He's a host himself, and everyone's strings are being pulled by Arnold. Arnold's at the center of the maze, acting like the Wizard of Oz.

Or even:
Spoiler:
Arnold wasn't human - he was a Vulcan. He performed a mind-meld with Dolores before his death, and transferred his consciousness into her body. The whispers that she's hearing are his attempt to motivate her to leave Westworld and charter a starship to recover his body from the Genesis planet.

Whoops - wrong movie.

Last edited by Kmical; 10-27-16 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-27-16, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan
Didn't the lock blow because Harris put his cigar in it? The one that blew up in the guy's face is the one he stole during the coach ride.
Guy stole 2 cigars from MiB.
MiB kept one and I think he was smoking it or may have used it to blow the door.