TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

AT&T wants Time Warner

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-16, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
AT&T wants Time Warner

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/22/bu...me-warner.html

I wonder how much this would change things. Doesn't seem like things improved when Comcast got NBC/Universal.

Could Verizon go after Disney? Maybe the just the sports stuff?
Old 10-21-16, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts
Re: AT&T wants Time Warner

My Time Warner just became Spectrum a few weeks ago
Old 10-21-16, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
My Time Warner just became Spectrum a few weeks ago
Time Warner cable now Spectrum as a totally separate company.

The Time Warner that AT&T wants to buy is the big Daddy. The main conglomerate of Warner Bros Pictures, studios, TV, DC comics, HBO, Cinemax, CNN, Turner etc.

This would be a massive merger.
Old 10-21-16, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Yeah this would be huge but scary. One company that has that much power over media is a concern.
Old 10-21-16, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk God

http://deadline.com/2016/10/time-war...ime=1477090738

Wow, deal is official. AT&T buys Time Warner for $85 billion.
Old 10-21-16, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, didn't think the price tag would be that high.
Old 10-22-16, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

I think I've seen this show before in the 80's and 90's. I won't be surprised if the companies split apart in 10-15 years because of shareholders pressure or to "unlock" value. Remember at one point AOL bought all of Time Warner (cable, studios, tv, magazines). A decade later everything is a separate company and the only winners were AOL shareholders because they got real assets with an inflated stock that would have crashed after the tech boom of the 00's.
Old 10-22-16, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdogg
I think I've seen this show before in the 80's and 90's. I won't be surprised if the companies split apart in 10-15 years because of shareholders pressure or to "unlock" value. Remember at one point AOL bought all of Time Warner (cable, studios, tv, magazines). A decade later everything is a separate company and the only winners were AOL shareholders because they got real assets with an inflated stock that would have crashed after the tech boom of the 00's.
More generally, huge mergers are almost always due to hubris. More likely to destroy value in the long term.

Basically C-suite level executives who are into "empire building" and "using other people's money", while having very little ownership stake in the companies they run. They're largely highly paid "hired guns" looking to cash out. Not much more than mercenaries.
Old 10-22-16, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I guess buying the Lakers and Dodgers rights for TV was a bad investment lol. So AT&T now owns Direct TV and now Time Warner Cable. Wonder what they are going to do with the DC films now too and if they can take out Disney.
Old 10-22-16, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Donald Trump has already said he would block this deal as President. The media conglomerates are already far too consolidated.
Old 10-22-16, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by jacob_b
I guess buying the Lakers and Dodgers rights for TV was a bad investment lol. So AT&T now owns Direct TV and now Time Warner Cable. Wonder what they are going to do with the DC films now too and if they can take out Disney.
Incorrect. Time Warner Cable now Spectrum was a totally separate company. Absolutely no affiliation with main Time Warner.
Old 10-22-16, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Incorrect. Time Warner Cable now Spectrum was a totally separate company. Absolutely no affiliation with main Time Warner.
Guess that's why they are finally doing a name change. Makes no sense to be called Time Warner if there is no relation to the big giant.
Old 10-22-16, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Guess that's why they are finally doing a name change. Makes no sense to be called Time Warner if there is no relation to the big giant.
It used to be majority owned by Time Warner Inc. However, several years ago, they decided to let it be a spinoff company and separate itself from the parent company.

Here's the press release that announced it.

http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_...ion/032009.pdf

http://ir.timewarner.com/phoenix.zht...-twcseparation
Old 10-22-16, 07:49 PM

There has been no reason to have it called Time Warner for years.

Brief History:
Time/Life and Warner Brothers merge.
Time Warner and Turner merger.
AOL buys Time Warner.
AOL Time Warner spins off AOL.
Time Warner spins of Time Warner Cable (which was there from Time/Life)
Time Warner spins off Time (the magazines).

For all intense purpose it's now Warner and Turner.
Old 10-22-16, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Donald Trump has already said he would block this deal as President. The media conglomerates are already far too consolidated.
(From a rambling contrarian perspective).

The only "good" I can see from such huge mega mergers in the media sector, is these companies becoming so fat and large that everybody sees them more and more as a joke than legitimate. Essentially becoming a modern multimedia version of "Pravda".

Old 10-23-16, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm very concerned, in that my main priority is seeing tv series on physical media and I feel that WB has been the best on that front. Any possibility of change is worrisome, but especially if AT&T decides to emulate Fox and stop producing DVD's & Blu-ray's in order to push non-physical media. I don't know that they will, we shall see.
Old 10-23-16, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
I'm very concerned, in that my main priority is seeing tv series on physical media and I feel that WB has been the best on that front. Any possibility of change is worrisome, but especially if AT&T decides to emulate Fox and stop producing DVD's & Blu-ray's in order to push non-physical media. I don't know that they will, we shall see.
Ironically, Fox actually tried to buy up Warner a few years ago.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ano...ays-2015-11-16
http://www.businessinsider.com/fox-o...ewarner-2014-7

Imagine if that happened back in 2014.
Old 10-23-16, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

I do worry what would happen if Warner stopped supporting physical media. It's fairly evident that Fox and Disney are gung-ho about digital services and don't care if media disappears.
Old 10-23-16, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I do worry what would happen if Warner stopped supporting physical media. It's fairly evident that Fox and Disney are gung-ho about digital services and don't care if media disappears.
If AT&T ends up buying Warner, the question is how much will the new management scuttle the home video division. For example, will they change who is in charge of the home video division?
Old 10-24-16, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Business talking heads on tv are saying this is all about viewing content on mobile devices. I don't see this affecting physical media. What may happen is that Warner tv, movies and channels will only be available on phones to those who use AT&T as their phone carrier. Won't affect home cable.
Old 10-24-16, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure the HBO and DC comics shows will keep coming to physical media for quite a while.

What TV shows are you worried about?
Old 10-24-16, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Don't we have monopoly laws or something?

Thought I'd post this, outdated at is may be, it's still applicable.

Old 10-24-16, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by slop101

The anti-trust division of the department of justice will figure out whether a merger is problematic or not, in regard to competition and possible "monopolies". (Assuming the federal department of justice has not been "bought" by media business lobbyists).

Even if the anti-trust folks let the merger go through, they might also order AT&T to divest some divisions for final approval of the merger.
Old 10-24-16, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by slop101

That graphic is true but it doesn't take into account all the new media outlets. In 1983 them would be reaching basically 100 percent of the US population through TV, newspaper and/or radio. Those companies are not reaching the same percentage of people now verses 1983. Netflix, Amazon, Facebook, YouTube and even niche players like Drudge, Breitbart, and Mother Jones are all drawing people from these big conglomerates.
Old 10-24-16, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Business talking heads on tv are saying this is all about viewing content on mobile devices. I don't see this affecting physical media. What may happen is that Warner tv, movies and channels will only be available on phones to those who use AT&T as their phone carrier. Won't affect home cable.
I'm not worried about home cable, broadcast and the initial release. My concern is entirely about whether AT&T decides that in order to better support viewing content on mobile devices then they'll do away with physical media (DVD, Blu-ray, 4K). Make it easier for all of the "old-fashioned" people to move to non-physical if that's the only option. In the same way that Fox stopped releasing the Simpsons, even though it made them decent money.

Originally Posted by Ranger
I'm sure the HBO and DC comics shows will keep coming to physical media for quite a while.

What TV shows are you worried about?
I'm concerned about all of them. I buy a fair number of the shows that WB releases, but even for those I don't buy then I want them released, so that others are happy and the physical market stays as strong as possible. Every time any series stops being released on Blu-ray, or DVD, then it upsets somebody and little by little the support for physical media goes away.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.